ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Connect 5.1 audio to MBP 13

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Is it possible to buy a connector for thunderbolt or something to output 5.1 audio from 13" late 2011 macbook pro.

Ibiza FR
I think the output from the headphone jack can be digital, if used with the right cable, not sure if this equates to 5.1 though?

You may also be able to get a USB adapter?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
oh so what do i need to buy to get it to work then, my 5.1 has three plugs

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
They all seem to convert it to digital, i want a cable to change the single output to three outputs if possible

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Erm i think that would work, preferably i need a sub, front and rear not sure on colours

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
What the f**k are you talking about. Take a picture of what you want to connect the MBP to.

The MBP outputs 5.1 via optical or Stereo via analog. The 3.5mm jack is capable of both.

Red white and yellow is stereo audio and one analog video channel.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
On this picture the five plugs on the left go into my sub, middle is power, the three on the right are what i would like to connect to my MBP.

image005.jpg

330Ci (Fail)Sport
You'll probably need a converter from optical to 2 x phono. And the use 2 x phono to 3 x 3.5mm lead (you may have got one with your speaker system).

It won't be true 5.1 but don't think there is a better way to connect it together.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
MBP isnt compatible with that. Forget it.

That looks like it needs a specific sound-card or box to do the processing. The MBP has ONE output.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
You'll probably need a converter from optical to 2 x phono. And the use 2 x phono to 3 x 3.5mm lead (you may have got one with your speaker system).

It won't be true 5.1 but don't think there is a better way to connect it together.

MBP isnt compatible with that. Forget it.

Ok so what Vish said won't work either then?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
No.

Unless you split up the stereo signal with a splitter (twice) but thats stupid.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
No.

Unless you split up the stereo signal with a splitter (twice) but thats stupid.

It would work as I said with those cables but it'd be pointless, not sure why I mentioned it actually. The speaker connections are like those for pc 5.1, which sometimes come with a a connector like this:

bcdf891c-5a28-31f8.jpg

If you were going to use the adapter above, don't bother with an optical cable though, it would make sense to get a standard 3.5mm to 2 phono cable. You'll never get proper 5.1 either way.

Unless you buy a 5.1 amp and some 5.1 speakers. Plenty of stuff on avforums usually in the classifieds or on eBay that'll be good starter kit of you don't want to spend a lot.