ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Complaint to Renault - Updated

Complaint to Renault - update - Renault have lost me as a future customer

The views expressed in this post are my own. I feel it's only fair to inform potential buyers of the ownership experience I've had with my Renault.

Following on from me sending an official letter of complaint to Renault Customer Services (see here), I've received this reply (worth reading for the comedy sentence "I hope that your faith in Renault has been restored" - what, with £150 in vouchers and an unsatisfactory telephone conversatio with someone who didn't really seem to care less? Yeah right).

As far as I'm concerned, Renault have lost a(nother) future customer - I will NEVER buy another Renault from a dealership unless there's some serious changes in Renault's attitudes towards their customers. THEY JUST DON'T CARE. I don't care if the 197 turns out to be the best drive ever and - as much as I'd like a 225 - there's simply more to car ownership than that for me.

I had a phone call from Customer Services at Renault to on Thursday to "discuss" my letter, although it wasn't much of a discussion. They WON'T give me any extended warranty and they WON'T say what action will be taken with the dealerships involved to prevent reoccurrences with other owner's vehicles. They apologised for the problems and offered me £150 towards the cost of an extended warranty with the dealership as a goodwill gesture, but with a catch: to honour said warranty, I'd have to get the car serviced by an official Renault dealership. I personally see that as insulting: they know I would NEVER trust any official Renault dealership local to me to do ANY work on my car again. Renault Customer Services know this, yet their "compensation" requires me to return to the dealerships where these problems have occurred??? I think they knew what my answer to this would be before they made their offer... (or am I too cynical?). In the end I have been offered £150 in vouchers to be used against products from Renault dealerships, so at least I'll have something to use for spare parts when my car next goes wrong (I'm not in any doubt that it will).

I may not buy another Renault again, but I can see my ownership extending beyond the life of my car's warranty. I still love driving this car and the car communities are the best :) ( but it's the other aspects of Renault ownership that I hate). At least if something goes wrong outside of warranty from January 2007 onwards I'll take it to the garage of my choice (my father-in-law's) for cheaper repairs rather than be tied to the Renault network!

I'm trying hard not to be too negative about this, but I'm honestly so disappointed that Renault Customer Services care so little about losing a customer who is so enthusiastic about their products.

Ally

BMW E46 330i Touring
Re: Complaint to Renault - update - Renault have lost me as a future customer

That letter's almost insulting mate, 3 sentances, 'pp'd' signature means it's been typed and sent by some secretary, without customer services ever really getting involved. Blatently a standardised complaints procedure without, I presume, any real effort on their part to actually correct the underlying problems.

the problem is the staff - noone can be arsed giving good service anymore with anything... well lack of training/investment as well

I went into Renault the other day, spoke to their parts dep asking for a price on a v6 spoiler and the guy told me I need to find the reg of a car with one (v6/trophy) and then he can give me this... he even had a picture of it on the computer he was using but couldn't tell me... said it's how Renault operate... no s**t!

So I told him I'm gonna wait outside for a v6/trophy to go past :p

Last edited:
  BMW E46 330i Touring

Lol, there's plenty on here mate, and plenty of pictures too...

Customer service as a whole isn't what it used to be.

Bumblebee

Ally that is horrendous!!:S

Makes me think twice about purchasing my monaco blue yesterday!!

My MSN addy is john185k@hotmail.co.uk, wouldn't mind speakin to you further about the problems as i will have to use the Arnold Clark at Sighthill.

John

Hi John, sorry I don't (know how to) do MSN!!! But I'll PM/email you later, just heading out on the bike now but will be back on later today.

Ally

VW ....

sadly this doesnt surprise me

Megane Mk4

I had a similar experience with my mk1 172, (Bearing in mind here that when I got the 172 it was 1 year old)
Within 7 months of getting it, it had been back to the dealer at least 8 times:- heres a few reasons why,

Collapse of the catalytic convertor honeycomb within 4 months of purchase, they were going to charge us nearly £400 for this and we complained and got it free.

The rear engine mount collapsed causing damage to the drivers drive shaft, manifold and gear stick linkage. Again, going to charge us for it, £500 for this, again after complaints, free of charge.

Failed immobilizer, key wouldn't start it. Tried to charge us for new key and re-encoding of the key, more complaints..

they even ran up nearly 30 miles on it having a service done and I went ABSOLUTELY ballistic with them.

These are to name just a few btw..

I'd got to the stage where I was quite prepared to walk in and throw the f**king keys at customer services at my local Renault as I'd simply had enough of it falling apart and them giving me stupid excuses why it had, blaming me for it and then trying to charge me for them. The car wasn't even 3 years old.

I think that was the main reason why I got the 182, I'd had enough tbh and I took the gamble of going back as I'd wanted a 182 since I'd first seen them come out, so I exchanged the 172, 2 years after I got it as I couldn't afford to get rid straight away (making the car 3 years old when I did get rid).

Must admit though, after nearly 20 months of owning the 182, the ONLY fault it's had is the ball in the headlight washer jet go. The rest has been wear and tear parts: brake pads/tyres etc. but I've loved it from the first day I got it, even more now as the engines started to nicely wear in! :D

Lemon cars sometimes appear, but not all of them are bad, trust me I know...

Rant over.... Understand where your coming from though ;)

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

ally, i hit the same brick wall with a few warranty gripes and have to say that there attitude in that instance was completely ridiculous.

I dont think this style of '£150 vocuhers' approach will win many people over!!

Burgandy 174 sport t

I told u so Ally I done the very same thing to you letter wise although I got offered 250 in vouchers to buy more crap. You would think I would learn though eh after the first then the second and now the third.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Unlucky Ally..

Trophy #267

stuff like this makes me sad and mad. Renault make some great cars but have some of the most appauling customer services on the planet. I too have fallen foul of them (altho thankfully not to your extent) and it seriously made me reconsider buying a 225 megane.

Id be tempted to send them a copy of this thread and ask them for comment and for some feedback for building back up the ruins of cusomer confidence that are remaining.

My only other suggestion is to contact any local media you can and kick up a stink and email watchdog etc or trading standards.

The odd mistake you can sortof forgive as everyone makes them, but continued errors like that are annoying, time consuming, expensive and can verge on dangerous.
Dont give up m8, keep battling and hassle them further untill you end up with a reliable car

hmm... let me get this right.

You asked in your letter for another years Renault warranty, but they offer you £150 towards it. You turn this down because you wont take your car to another Renault dealer.

Surely this is contradictory? You asked for another years warranty, then refuse to take you car back to a dealer to have repairs carried out? Why ask for the years warranty in the first place then?

its a shame the way you've been treated, but i would be happy with £150 of free goodies :)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2

Complain further. Watchdog or whatever its called on the BBC

What exactly were you expecting? The best thing you can do is get rid move to another manufacturer and give Renault no more business.
I must be the only person whos bought a good renault no warranty issues and excellent dealer service.
Or is it as normal in life we only hear the complaints and people cant be arsed to express their appreciation.

M

Mark E-J

Re: Complaint to Renault

french car curse?

no serious m8 im gutted for u

i know all to well what main dealers are like i had a mg zr in 2004 brand new and i took it back 9 times in 6 months

and on its first service 13,000 miles the gearbox driveshaft and clutch decided 2 give up not through my driving either!

anyway m8 i hope u get a satisfactory conclusion

Clio 172 mk2
Re: Complaint to Renault

That's pretty bad for a car so new...I've had fewer problems on cars 10 years old.

I hope you get a result

fUbAr said:
Surely this is contradictory? You asked for another years warranty, then refuse to take you car back to a dealer to have repairs carried out? Why ask for the years warranty in the first place then?
The ONLY time my Clio goes near a Renault dealership is for warranty work - I get servicing done elsewhere.

I asked for an extension to my warranty because chances are that something else linked/caused by the previous problems will occur. And IMO if it's linked to a duff repair of original warranty work then Renault should foot the bill. Obviously that incredibly hard to prove, hence why I feel a 12-month warranty extension as a "goodwill guesture" would be appropriate to cover eventualities like that. Renault unsurprisingly thought otherwise...

Plus the £150 was offered towards a warranty costing "in the region of £500" and would necessitate me having the car serviced at a Renault dealer as a condition of the warranty. Hence why I told them to stick it :rasp:.

stuart2088 said:
Or is it as normal in life we only hear the complaints and people cant be arsed to express their appreciation.
Hey I'm not one for complaining, usually I can't be arsed expressing my lack of appreciation lol. I've talked up my Clio enough on here in the past and still love driving my car. It's just sooooooo bloody frustrating that Renault have soured my ownership experience with inept service plus complete lack of understanding of "customer service", IMO.

I'm not sure what you wanted Renault to say. One customer complaiant won't be enought for them to remove there franchise.

Did you want them to give you a the money in case if so what would you deem as acceptable? £1k?

edde said:
I'm not sure what you wanted Renault to say. One customer complaiant won't be enought for them to remove there franchise.

Did you want them to give you a the money in case if so what would you deem as acceptable? £1k?
"I feel a “courtesy” 12-month extension of my warranty as a goodwill gesture...". Not something I feel you can put a monetary value on, plus it *shouldn't* cost Renault anything if I didn't have to use the warranty.

Ally said:
"I feel a “courtesy” 12-month extension of my warranty as a goodwill gesture...". Not something I feel you can put a monetary value on, plus it *shouldn't* cost Renault anything if I didn't have to use the warranty.
But you don't like the dealership so whats to stop you making a compliant again and asking for another years cover as at the engine od the day thats what your asking for.

It costs Renault as there a chance you might blow the engine/gearbox/ball joint etc up so Renault have to put money aside to cover for these eventualaties. If they knew there cars would never cliam then 1) they would be out of business as none would buy new cars and 2) would give lifetime warenties with cars.

They cannot impose a resistiction like has to be serviced at Renaul garage so long as a VAT registered garage does the service and use Renault parts your covered.

Dave - you just confused the hell out of me until I got as far as reading your post, makes sense now, cheers!

Edde - I looked into the aspect of using ANY VAT registered garage, but - while that's true for a manufacturer's warranty (e.g. the first 3-years with a new car) - Renault would only offer me £150 towards the cost of a warranty with a dealership. Dealership warranties differ in that garages are still allowed to specify certain conditions of these, one of them in Renault's case being that the garage would have to service it. I questioned that, but they're allowed to do that unbelieveably...

Luckily my father-in-law (still can't get used to calling him that...) runs a VAT registered garage, so any future work outwith warranty will be at "family rates" (see mates-rates but cheaper still).

LOL, just hope he doesn't ever find the Cliosport forum and that comment (his second car is also a 172).

M

Mark E-J

ally make it a extra hot curry and he might not take anything next time off u lol

its disgusting what renault have done cant u go higher up than the customer service team ?

Unfortunately a vindaloo is already his curry of choice lol

Not sure who to contact to report this - my letter was addressed to the Customer Services Manager of Renault UK, plus the Managing Director of Renault UK too. If they don't care then, well...

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI
My car was of the road for two of the three motnhs of ownership after i just bought my 172 cup.

Went in a total of 18 times in 5 months.

And had more problems than a choclate fire protection shield!!!!

And wrote a letter to renault, and got f**k all back!

Ally said:
The ONLY time my Clio goes near a Renault dealership is for warranty work - I get servicing done elsewhere.

I asked for an extension to my warranty because chances are that something else linked/caused by the previous problems will occur. And IMO if it's linked to a duff repair of original warranty work then Renault should foot the bill. Obviously that incredibly hard to prove, hence why I feel a 12-month warranty extension as a "goodwill guesture" would be appropriate to cover eventualities like that. Renault unsurprisingly thought otherwise...

Plus the £150 was offered towards a warranty costing "in the region of £500" and would necessitate me having the car serviced at a Renault dealer as a condition of the warranty. Hence why I told them to stick it :rasp:.

ooh right... seems a bit off them saying you have to get the car serviced at a dealer... usually the only clause is that the service station uses genuine renault parts...

RX8 231 + New Focus CC3
as long as you have your car serviced at a vat registered garage that will use genuin parts then you will not invalidate your warranty.

so when renault tell u that u have to use there shops dont listen cause its bull.

i hate smart arse customers who know this when i'm tryin to sell my add on products!!! lol

R()yle - I know where you're coming from, but there's differences between manufacturer's warranty and dealership warranty. I wasn't sure about the legalities of this, but it's right I'm afraid. Doesn't seem to be covered by the same ruling that was applied to manufacturer's warranties that allows you to use ANY garage (but with official parts).

Ally said:
I looked into the aspect of using ANY VAT registered garage, but - while that's true for a manufacturer's warranty (e.g. the first 3-years with a new car) - Renault would only offer me £150 towards the cost of a warranty with a dealership. Dealership warranties differ in that garages are still allowed to specify certain conditions of these, one of them in Renault's case being that the garage would have to service it. I questioned that, but they're allowed to do that unbelieveably...

RX8 231 + New Focus CC3
Ally

but i thought that that was only in the case of franchises and that arnold clark etc could bend the rules a bit but renault owned dealerships had to stick to the letter of the renault manufacturer law so to speak.

dont know could be wrong???