ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

colour coding trims

white clio mk2 1.2
Best grade sand paper to use?
how many coats of primer, spray paint and lacquer?
thanks to any on who helps (Y)

Hi mate if they are in good condition with no deep scratches etc then i'd use 320 grit then primer with 2-3 coats.

As for the paint it depends how well it covers but usually 2-3 coats will be enough same with the lacquer.

1.2 16V Dynamique
Whereabouts are these particular trims you speak of?

I would start with that grade paper, however each time you apply primer, I would give it a higher grade light sand, probably a 600 or 800 just to give it a bit of a key, then degrease and clean with a washing detergent, and repeat spraying.

With the paint you can do the same process, however going too hard with the sandpaper may mean the primer will show through, which could lead to an imbalance in colour in coats.

There are various primer colours which compliment different top coat colours. If you're spraying a more vibrant, lighter colour, use white primer.

Also, make sure if you're using an acrylic based paint, you use a suitable lacquer. I'm sure you know all this, but putting it out there just in case :)

Renault clio 1.2 16v
Nice advice :D im not to sure wether to spray mine or not, i have a black clio so the plastic look kinda blends in, will have to think about it :) what do you think?