ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cold start

Hi, just recently purchased a 182 which im certain has been stood a long time before me.

Anyway during a cold start driving it has a problem. The car will sometimes (when driving) start stuttering like its running on no fuel and then loose power (no response from throttle) until i change gear and put the foot down.

After a drive this goes and works fine.

Do you guys think this issue will just go in time? Im gonna buy some redex for it hopefully that will do it some good.
Thanks

Mine runs like poop ! It feels hesitant, sometimes even pops and bangs ! Just the way they are from cold ! My 172 and 182 have done it and once they warm up after a minute or two spot on! Had the belts done properly and serviced regular just a thing these do ! Leave it running 5 before you drive down the road you'll be fine !

Focus
Both my 172 and 182 did it, it was almost like a switch when it stopped being hesitate, horrible!

02 Clio 172
It's weird. I've driven loads of cars, old and new and they've never felt as bad as a cold RS does. Why are they so crap when cold??

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Think some are worse than others. Mine runs fine, just very on/off throttle when cold(weirdly this always seems worse after its had some decent runs). Birchdown did say mine idled better than most so maybe I'm lucky

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Does it get up to temp properly? Mine was much improved after new stat.

Yeah, quick to get up to temp. Stays at middle on gauge so looks normal to me and its been ok now i tbh think it was due to being stood around dead for so long.

Yeah, quick to get up to temp. Stays at middle on gauge so looks normal to me and its been ok now i tbh think it was due to being stood around dead for so long.

Could have been! Mines worse somedays that's others ! I tend to find if you drive very enthusiastically and park up it tends to pop and bang a lot more but I think that's more likely down to the fuel sitting in the exhaust as I have a decat !

Well my question is if coil pack or leads are faultyish, would they start to work better once engine is warm? Personally i wouldn't think so but what does the expert say..

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
As you've said, have a look at the plugs unless you're 100% certain that the correct NGK's were put in... I found Bosch super plus in mine and changing the solved a lot of issues. Still crappy when cold tho lol

Oh i wasnt going to touch the plugs for a while due to not knowing how to get to them atm! Cover off, Head off new gasket? anything else?

How do you take the head off also

Last edited:

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Have a look at some of the guides on here for the plugs, was how I learnt! It's not that hard at all and makes a massive difference.