ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers ... What do people say is best?

Audi A5
lol i'll give you that i dont know my stuff like tony but what if someone who know's their stuff think's the cheap coilovers is better?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Ive brought some ktec coilovers to try and see if I get on with them as I've never had coilovers before and didn't want to jump straight in at the deep end. If I don't, hello sportlines and arb. If I do, then I'm getting myself some "Danny" Spaxs!

this made my head hurt.

Peugeot 308
No there not! Standard will be focused more towards handling as they need to make a car that handles well, and they did superbly well, which is why they are epic cars.

Cheap coilovers are made for chavs to get lowzzzz as said earlier, not focused towards handling. This is why they are so cheap, no development cost.

Not a chav, but they did create the lows.

I sacrificed a chunk of handling for some lows at the time, couldnt stomach the 4x4 ride height.

If people think that cheap coilovers are good, then they probably dont know any better.

Ktec coilovers on MY car in my eyes...

Not a very harsh ride, but the damping seems all over the place, the way they handle multiple bumps at the same time is pathetic. I hate coming off a fast road onto a fairly tight corner and lighting up a wheel, having crazy understeer...it didnt do it as standard.

They ride ok for day to day, but to the people defending cheap coilovers in the handling department...give it a rest.

I can only imagine that developing suspension aimed at being to the level of standard suspension or better costs a fortune, hence the prices of some of the better kits about.

It wouldnt surprise me, if a decent driver thinks that the likes of the spax/bilstein arnt 'night and day' better than New standard equipment on a B-road.

Last edited:
  Audi A5
Can I just say I'm not looking for an argument and I'm not looking to fall out with people. I'm just trying to put my point across that handling is surly an opinion so you can't say I'm wrong when I say that I think their better than std suspension. Tony I have read in comment of yours in the past where you have said their is no right or wrong set up its all about finding whats right for you. So if I find k-tec coilovers better than std suspension then surly that should be ok.

SQ5
It is an opinion but I think you forget, Tony could drive your car and say its shocking, then who would be right?

Peugeot 308
It is an opinion but I think you forget, Tony could drive your car and say its shocking, then who would be right?

Only issue is handling is an opinion based thing.

If he thinks cheap s**t coilovers are good, then its upto him. ( until he tries better )

182cup & 172 racecar
Of course it is my luvver.

But I think you'll find my comments refer to camber,ride heights,toe settings,spring settings and rake.

I'll let you sleep easy on that one.

PH1 172 (Track Car)
Does anyone have any opinions on coilovers for pure track use - not fast road/track - just track. I know AST has been mentioned, but are there many other options in regards to circuit setup/options?

SQ5
Does anyone have any opinions on coilovers for pure track use - not fast road/track - just track. I know AST has been mentioned, but are there many other options in regards to circuit setup/options?

Best of searching, plenty of threads covering it with different opinions etc..

SQ5
It's ok, we've had to say things a few times before he takes it as correct, and then comes back believing he is right again.

Audi A5

No one would be 'right' this is my point, what could work for me is not going to be the same for the next person due to different driving styles etc. Hence why I keep saying its your opinion.

Also I might add I don't rate the k-rev kit highly just thought it was better than stock for what I used it for.

Understand the arguement that everyones style is different, And what one person likes another may not. But when your flying down a country lane and the back end is skitting all over the place because the dampers cant keep up, thats just s**t.

I spent about 4 years on different sets of coilovers, And going back to sportlines was the best thing i ever did.

thanks for the replys fella's thought i'd be getting this sort of reply,
i just wondered if they're was a general set people would go for, it wouldn't be a first for me using coilovers, had
a fair few coilovered cars and they've improved no end but the clio's such a good set up from factory i understand that cheap would be a step back
was looking at top end kw's / koni coilovers with solid top mounts polly bushing etc etc so was gonna do it properly