ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers on a 172 Cup - a few questions

I dont know squat about modifying the suspension on cars, got a few questions about coilovers and am generally looking for some advice - I know they improve the way the car looks, but dont understand much about what / how it improves handling and ride etc etc.

Is the handling that much improved from the standard Cup suspension, in what ways is it better?
The Cups ride can be pretty harsh, do the coilovers make it harsher again, and if so is it still bearable?
Whats the difference / benefit of fitting coilovers over other cheaper suspension kits or just lowering springs?
How much would it cost to get these fitted?
Which are the ones to go for? Keep seeing H&R mentioned ( I know CHRIS172CUP has these and rates them highly )

Thanks for any help in advance.

2005 Impreza WRX STI

coilovers are the way foreward for handling. ppl say h&r are good! i have GAZ on mine so cant really comment on any others. ther ride on mine is hard! even on the lowest damping setting. handling will be much better than cup susp! one main advantage over normal lowering packages is u can adjust the height!thats a big factor for most ppl! price wise your looking £400 upwards for the kit £650 i think for H&R plus fitting. This will range from £60-200. deffo worth it tho for the handling and looks!

172 cup'd extreme

the reason why coilovers are about is so your able to slam your car plus height adjustment on the car. they also offer better clearence.
I would say if your not interested in slamming your car then save your money and get a koni or spax kit

I think coilovers are going to be too expensive. :(

Having read some previous posts on this topic I can see the options are now as follows:

1.) Eibach Pro springs - subtle drop of 20mm but improved handaling
2.) Eibach sportline springs - greater drop of 40-50mm, but handaling not as well improved as the Eibach Pros
3.) Apex springs - as 2.)

Would be interesting to hear the opinions from any 172 Cup owners who have gone from the standard cup suspension to one of the above setups.

I also understand that its adviseable to get the camber, heel, toe etc checked after having new springs fitted?

clio 200

i have a koni adjustable kit on my clio cup and i think it sit nice and handles well if thats of any help to you making a decision

I Had H&R fitted to my 172 and they were fantastic. Chris172cup, Dansta, Nev_172, Alan C, Little Newms and probably others ive forgotten opted to follow suit and bought the H&Rs and all of us rate them very highly. If you can stretch to it they are well worth getting.

From what ive read coilovers are the ones to get - but I just cant afford them at the momment. I cant save up and wait cos those big old Massey Ferguson arches on my Cup are driving me nuts! lol!

Its going to have to be just springs for now - cant seem to decide to go for the Eibach Pros or Sportlines.

Again, if anyone else can offer some advice from experience id appreciate it - cheers.

iv got APEX on my cup the only thing they do for me is improve ride hight and stiffen it up abit! but im getting some H&Rs soon for deffo cos i want to do it right...but dont get me wrong its a nice cheap way to make u car look lower and stiffen the ride even more!! but the apex are abit harsh at times but i have to say they do make a standard cup look better IMO