ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch slip but not?

Evo 8 and clio 172
Hi all

Picked up my 172 last weekend and not really driven it hard as it needs a service and some tlc. For most driving there seems to be no issue with accelerating, but if you give the car over 3/4 in 4th or 5th above 4k revs it feels as though the engine is revving freeing with no drive. Revs shoot up! Less throttle there is no issue. So I would say clutch but there is no burning smell and going on the paper work it's about 20k old. Hard life I guess could wear it out in this amount of time? What I have noticed is the clutch is very high could be worth adjusting?

Looking for some thoughts before dropping the box off. Car is used as a daily driver. I have known pressure plates to losen enough to cause slip, lack of slip washers or lock nut applied when fitting.

Cheers
Matt

renault clio 1.4 16v
sounds like a clutch, often when on bare metal there is still enough friction for normal drive but it lets go when you give it any more foot... 20k is fairly low though, the clutch pedal is self adjusting, they all have a high bite point...

Evo 8 and clio 172
Thanks mate, was hoping it may not have been lol.

Have to hope it's not done any damage to the flywheel

Evo 8 and clio 172
Found this interesting bodge today after removing the ripspeed air filter that had been fitted by the pervious owner....... I don't think it should be like this!

DSC_0614_zpsjtfue8it.jpg

Found this interesting bodge today after removing the ripspeed air filter that had been fitted by the pervious owner....... I don't think it should be like this!

DSC_0614_zpsjtfue8it.jpg
Is that a clutch cable or sea fishing line with weights on it

Evo 8 and clio 172
Cheers guys.

I was thinking about taking a nut or two off and seeing what happens, with them all on there is a small amount of tension on the release fork. Will give it a go and if nothing start with a new cable.

i think the car is going too need more tlc than first thought..

Evo 8 and clio 172
I have been looking back through the history i had with the car. There is no mileage in the recipt for the clutch change but it was done when the gearbox was replaced. Taking a look at some other service history around the same time would put the car on about 50k-55k and its on 86k now. So fair bit more than made to believe but expect it should have lasted longer?

Thinking I need to get the gearbox off and inspect.