ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clunking and rotational noise

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
For a while now I've had a small clunking coming from my OSF and it's suddenly got a lot more noticeable. It seems to do it when I'm driving over rough ground or going over a speed bump, then other times it decides to do it whenever it wants. I took off both wheels and checked for any movement and I couldn't feel any anywhere to be honest. It's had it's MOT just recently and had no advisories either but I take that with a pinch of salt.
The only slight movement I noticed was in the steering rack, but i think this might have just been normal movement from the steering lock. I do have a slight nick in the CV boot, but again this is still full of grease last time i checked but ideally wants sorting.
Couldn't feel any noticeable movement in my top mounts, and the bearings seems fine with no grinding or roughness when rotating. At a loss as it's a fairly loud noise! What I have noticed again just recently however is a rotational noise when driving at slow speeds. This probably happens at higher speeds too but I can't hear it over the engine.
Any ideas on to what it could be? I'm going to replace the ARB bushes as a start as I have some black series ones then move on from there. Just doesn't really leave me with a world of confidence to be honest! Everythings tight aswell.

I heard what sounded like a rubbing noise on full lock left today which i've not heard before but it didn't do it again, will check signs of wear on my inner arch liners but don't think there is any.

Cheers!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Well I resolved this clunking with new lower balljoints but the car still doesn't feel right...
What're the ways of testing whether my CV is knackered?
I don't get clicking on full lock when reversing but I have the odd rotational noise and I can also feel all of the road surfacing. It almost tramlines a hell of a lot more, and even on fairly smooth tarmac roads it feels 'rough'.
The car just doesn't feel right from the front end but I'm not sure whether CV or bearing related.
I'm only thinking CV as the front boots may have thrown their grease but I do have new boots to go on. However if the joints need replacing it's kinda pointless doing just the boots.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Well I resolved this clunking with new lower balljoints but the car still doesn't feel right...
What're the ways of testing whether my CV is knackered?
I don't get clicking on full lock when reversing but I have the odd rotational noise and I can also feel all of the road surfacing. It almost tramlines a hell of a lot more, and even on fairly smooth tarmac roads it feels 'rough'.
The car just doesn't feel right from the front end but I'm not sure whether CV or bearing related.
I'm only thinking CV as the front boots may have thrown their grease but I do have new boots to go on. However if the joints need replacing it's kinda pointless doing just the boots.
Have you had the geometry checked?

Freetrack&Monaco 172
I've just replace my O/S drive shaft as I had a rotational clunking/grumble/road surface feeling like you mentioned before the the CV joint failed. I had a ticking/clicking noise on full lock too and the grumble progressively got worse till the joint failed completely. Sounded similar to a loose wheel or wheel bearing failure rumble.

However I now have a 'shifting' clunk in acceleration/deceleration and play in the steering from the O/S suspension since the replacement so not sure what else has worn out too.....

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I've just replace my O/S drive shaft as I had a rotational clunking/grumble/road surface feeling like you mentioned before the the CV joint failed. I had a ticking/clicking noise on full lock too and the grumble progressively got worse till the joint failed completely. Sounded similar to a loose wheel or wheel bearing failure rumble.

However I now have a 'shifting' clunk in acceleration/deceleration and play in the steering from the O/S suspension since the replacement so not sure what else has worn out too.....
I have a shifting clunk, but only when cold and upshifting through the gears. I'm not sure if it's just my exhaust popping though! Can't properly tell.

Is there a way for me to test the driveshaft? It's definitely not right, especially noticeable on motorway runs and I don't want anything to fail. The problem with a loud exhaust is it covers up issues!

My geometry is out as it pulls left just under normal driving (calipers refurbed front and rear), so this is something to look at. I was hoping to do this when lowered/spacers/new wheels etc but guess it would be useful now regardless. Thanks for the help, and sorry for the slow reply.

renault clio 1.4 16v
had to get my drive shafts refurbished, outer joints went but gave me a noise similar to a bad wheel bearing and would make one hell of a vibration through the steering at around 100kph accompanied by a high pitched whiring vibration louder than my exhaust, i initially changed the front bearings and the noise stopped for a few 1000 km but then it returned, outer joints had around 2mm play in em... interesting that they were silent at any speed below 100 and there was no clicking at full lock... i wish they were spider joints instead of these 3 fingers that are welded to the shaft... new drive shafts may be cheap there in the uk but they cost a arm and a leg here in south africa :astonished: