ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Close calls...

clio authentique
I dont know about the weather where everybody else lives, but at the minute its pretty crappy here!
Black ice, snow and then the torrential rain!
Now between bad weather and more importantly bad drivers! Ive had a few near misses myself...
Now im not sure if thats just bad luck, bad driving on my behalf or just the clios back end happieness!

So far ive span in the snow doing around 20mph, mounted a curb and nearly went through some old pensioners hedge doing no more than 10mph!
And ive had god knows how many people cut me up or stop dead infront of me!

Now i would understand if my tyres were bald but the fact is i have brand new snow tyres on the front and 5 to 6 mil of tread on the rears!

Anyways just wondering if anybody else has had anything similar happen? I know its probably a none repliable topic but ohh well!

Martin.

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
You only have snow (winter?) tyres on the front? That will be why you are spinning.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've had no issues so far in my old focus with no ABS etc.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Lol at only having them on the front reminds me of that picture of the woman who put snow chains on the front wheels of her one series, loved that picture.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I dont know about the weather where everybody else lives, but at the minute its pretty crappy here!
Black ice, snow and then the torrential rain!
Now between bad weather and more importantly bad drivers! Ive had a few near misses myself...
Now im not sure if thats just bad luck, bad driving on my behalf or just the clios back end happieness!

So far ive span in the snow doing around 20mph, mounted a curb and nearly went through some old pensioners hedge doing no more than 10mph!
And ive had god knows how many people cut me up or stop dead infront of me!

Now i would understand if my tyres were bald but the fact is i have brand new snow tyres on the front and 5 to 6 mil of tread on the rears!

Anyways just wondering if anybody else has had anything similar happen? I know its probably a none repliable topic but ohh well!

Martin.

Highlighted the relevant parts.

You've got different grip levels front and rear unbalancing the car but you still shouldn't be spinning.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've been ok so far this winter with ice on the roads but this morning I was at my mums house up in the Tyne Valley and decided to go for a walk down the village with my other half and both of us fell over on sheet ice on her driveway. I banged my head really hard and hurt my back and she fell on her hip. Thankfully neither of us broke any bones but I've had a thumping head all day and a very stiff back. All the back roads were sheet ice after it rained early this morning then froze. Accidents everywhere.

n2x

e60/f10
Overtook a lorry a couple of days ago and the plan was to resume to my lane but black ice had different plans as i found myself skidding towards an oncoming 18-wheeler 60mph. Fortunately managed to drift myself back to my lane and other than shitting my pants, everything went well. Be careful!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
i was coming home from work on saturday the other week in my combo work van.

I was overtaken on a long straight and then theres a wee downhill then a roundabout, as the car infront was approaching the roundabout going down the hill he started going sideways, so i tried to slow down a bit but the roads were just pure ice. Got onto the roundabout doing around 10-15mph and couldnt steer at all. I had to pull the handbrake on to get the back end round as i was heading straight for the pavement!

Pretty scary when it catches you off guard like that!

clio authentique
Everybody loves a good slating! :)

Tbh im sure im not the only one out there that just has snows on the front and im pretty sure im not the first person to loose the back end on a bendin the snow, or dink/mount a kerb because of black ice, but i guess i was an easy target :) cheers haha.

In N.I. it's horrible, last week I was heading down to the train station in the morning, none of the road was gritted and it ended up being sheet ice for about a mile. Went round a corner, slid, went into a car park, near lost it 3 more times! Then found out the train was cancelled because some lorry slid through the barrier and onto the tracks!

Also lost it in my own driveway the other day, that was a first!

Good to know my ABS works though.

Last edited:
The industrial estates why I work are bad and also the residential estates, but it's obvious untreated areas are going to be bad, I've been fine in my MK3 and in the master Luton van I drive, but other people at work have often come in the car park sideways and bashed a wheel on the curb or lost it

It's all about being aware of the conditions and being smooth with your inputs to the vechicle

Clio III DCi 106
Full of the rack means full steering lock, ie. As sideways as you can be and not lose it...
No one can tell me they don't mess about in the ice and snow too. Who can resist? :L

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
My only ever close call was caused by someone washing his car on a hill, right next to a junction. The water froze, and the next morning along I came, couldn't see the ice at all and suddenly realised I was sliding at 10mph. Stood on the horn and ended up in the middle of the junction with cars just being able to stop in either direction. Complete passenger.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Just had a bit of sideways action coming round the rounabout by mine, nothing major and there were no other cars involved.

Pretty scary how a bit of ice can be so dangerous.