ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Sport Phase 2 172 Washers issue/no power

Clio 172 2002
Hi guys,

really appreciate any help on this issue! I've read so many threads but no answers to this issue.

I have a 02 172.

1. The front and rear washers aren't spraying any fluid. It was a weak spray recently and then failed altogether.

I have checked the fuse inside the cabin (this is intact), also taken out the pump motor and ran power to it and it works. I ran a multimeter across the fuse terminals in the cabin for the washers and nothing.

Do you think the problem is due to the failure of a relay? Where is it?
I hope it didn't' damage a wire in the engine bay as I was fiddling with the fuse cover and it was a pain to get back on properly. I also took off the front bumper recently to replace the jets but can't think of anything there that could be related.

Many thanks

CursedTitanium 182FF
Washer Pump is knackered, £40 ish from Renault or £15 from Euro Car Parts. Replace both while you have it all apart.

Clio 172 2002
Hi thanks for the reply but I think my issue may be electrical as both washer pumps stopped working and I have no reading on my multimeter when I check the pump plug and someone pulls the stalk.

I checked the motor and it worked under just battery power.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I checked the motor and it worked under just battery power.

And did it fire out water at the correct pressure? Or just a dribble still?

If it was correct, its new stalk time, if it was still a dribble, i'd go with new pumps.

Clio 172 2002
I had the base of the motor removed so it was just the little axle and it span fine with 12v. When I plugged it back into the loom and pulled the stalk I've got nothing so it's something on the electrical side.

I can't hear any relays clicking when I pull the stalk except when the wipers come on to wipe away the spray.

The thing is the rear washer has stopped too as the same time and I'd be surprised if the stalk mechanism failed on both rear washer and front washer. But that could be it.

Also am I assuming correctly there should be 12v across the washer fuse terminal? Getting nothing

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Even if the pumps are knackered, they still spin. You need to remove them, put them straight to 12v and put them in a cup of water or something to test them properly.

Clio 172 2002
Pumps definitely working when removed and tested on a battery but not when plugged into the clio loom

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ah ok I'm with you now.

Have you tried a new/secondhand stalk?

Clio 172 2002
No I won't be able to get a new stalk for a couple of weeks.

Any idea of where the relay is for this circuit? Or I need a wiring diagram. Stumped on no power between the washer fuse terminals hence I'm unsure if the stalk is the issue

Clio 172 2002
Ok thanks will look him up. Actually I just drove the car with lights on and I do hear one of the motors come twice as normal on when I use the screen washers. Looked at the lights tho and nothing on them.

Clio 172 2002
Ok think I found the issue!!!

I got the multimeter out again and tested the motor other plug that's connected to the washer bottle. The one on passengers side and this gets voltage when I pull the stalk for front washers and rear washers so this must be the main washer bottle on my clio. Green and beige coloured wires.

The grey and pinky beige wired plug gets voltage when I have the lights on and pull the window washers.

Super happy now as I thought the centre motor was the main washer jet but it's the other one in my car.

Time to pull it out again and check this motor.

Clio 172 2002
Yep seems like it. Thought I read a guide with some pictures and the centre pump on the washer bottle was pictured as the main pump.

Pretty happy it turned out this way because I'd be signing a blank cheque to get an auto electrician to chase a broken wire.

Will confirm once I've got it sorted but thanks for the replies. Much appreciated