ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio sport 172 running issue

Clio sport 172
Hi, I've just brought a clio 172 with a problem just after some advice?.
cars has a very low tick over speed and often cuts out after revving it up also under load it splutters/misfires when you accelerate, if you accelerate very gently it will rev through this? Also when plugged into a diagnostics it's not showing any ignition advance in live data doesn't go above .50 deg is this right? Wandering if it's coil pack? Spark plugs and leads are new? Map sensor or even cambelt not done right any help would be gratefully received

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The coolant temp not reaching more than 50 degrees is the first issue to resolve. Are you sure the live data can be trusted (eg. its not taken from some dodgy Chinese piece of eBay crap)?

Clio sport 172
Live data was being read with a snap-on souls pro. The coolant temp is reading correct it's the ignition advance on live data that isn't going above half a degree?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
No, you're fixing your sights on something that may not be an accurate feed (I don't personally rate Snap-On diagnostics on French cars) or it may even be a knock-on effect. The CTS value is a baseline parameter so if the coolant temperature is not going above 50 degrees, no matter how long the engine runs for, then the ECU is going to fuel and adjust the timing accordingly. What you need to do now is work out if the coolant is actually achieving regulated temperature of 89 degrees or not Vs it being a temp sensor signal error. A new CTS should resolve a simple signal fault but you really need to do a physical check to confirm the actual temp is roughly what the parameter is claiming on diags (An IR contactless temp gun will help you do this easily & without opening up a pressurised coolant system).

Mick

Clio sport 172
I actually agree the live data is not the best on snap on on these cars unfortunately it's all I have! I've put a new coolant temp sensor in and it's reads fine on the diagnostics and the engine is the same temp as it says so that's ok now! But the car is still exactly the same??? Any other ideas?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Injector(s) then

Unplug them one at a time until you find the one that doesn't alter the already poor running.

Clio sport 172
Right had another look at this the pre cat lambda is always reading 30/40 mv I've swapped it for a new one buts it's doing exactly the same could this be a wiring problem then?? Post cat reads about 340 mv

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The second unit *should* (when the CAT is at temp and when it is functioning correctly) will be stable at around 400mV.

The pre-CAT should be constantly switching

clio 172 phs1 turbo
Hey bud could be 1 of a few things. like what mickpm saids get the car hot then check that the bank 1/ upstream o2 sensor is switching constantly and iv had one before with same symptoms turned out to be the dephaser pulley had seized. But enough to keep in idling and enough to drive ok but under heavy accel spit and splatted if you just bought it try and find out if the cambelt and pulleys have been done and when if you can.
Let us know how u get on bud

Clio sport 172
It's definitely not switching when it's hot it reads 30mv sometimes going to 40mv its a new NGO sensor old read exactly the same! Belts have been done with the correct tools including cam pulley holding tool! How you check the dephaser pulley?