ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio ph2 1.6 Inlet manifold upgrade

Cheers, I'll swap over to that on my next fill up :) I'll make a video once it's done, never considered it before as I thought mine sounded pants haha

with the induction kit and cat-back exhaust - i think mine actually sounds fairly decent now. It's definitely not as tinny as it used to sound, thankfully I'm not too concerned with what other people think when this louder-than-life clio comes roaring past - it puts a MASSIVE smile on my face every time i accelerate up the carrigeway.

​i'd imagine the 1.6 sounds slightly meatier. Pity we're not in the same area or we could compare and contrast!!

lol Zeitgeist I know what you mean though not a bad sound when booting it.

Just done my remap :S eeeeekkk, haven't been out to test yet but car was struggling a little on idle. Hope I've done it right. made a backup anyway. will try and get rid on the standard unleaded as soon as I can maybe its that. engine is a little noisy.

lol Zeitgeist I know what you mean though not a bad sound when booting it.

Just done my remap :S eeeeekkk, haven't been out to test yet but car was struggling a little on idle. Hope I've done it right. made a backup anyway. will try and get rid on the standard unleaded as soon as I can maybe its that. engine is a little noisy.

It's just so much fun, and doesnt even cost me that much more in fuel taking it up to 6k rpm. Might have to invest in new pistons soon though ;)

Try this now that you've mapped it, I might not be entirely correct on this but the ecu will adjsut slightly, for example, my EML light was on after a coil change, but the car showed no faults and had no stored codes - took it for a 25 mile drive and bang on 25, the light went off after the ecu had monitored for a long enough time that there was nothing fishy.

​See how it goes after a spin!

Relieved really as it ran ok when getting in again :) Was hard to test really as traffic was pretty bad. so far can't tell any difference so will have to report back once I've given it a good run.

Hope there is a difference.

I wrote the cal that Henk sent and once completed it auto disconnected. Job done? hope there isn't anything I missed.

Right bit of an update

On the way home give it a bit of gas! Not too much as its dark and very wet :( and my brakes are new so still squishy. From what I can tell low down the only difference is smoother idle and slightly more torque. High revs though and it really does rev faster, car does spin in the wet so hard to judge accuratly. not sure what the new rev limit is as had to keep slowing down around 50 in second. Just hope it's dry tomorrow so I can give it a proper test. Excited to see what it can do :) plus hope my induction kit turns up.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
you can use an F4R throttle body off a 2.0 16v Laguna on these its a little larger apparently but ive never done it.

I think the RS tuner might surprise you im sure someone on here used one a few years ago and were impressed by it, remember you will need to run 98/99 ron fuel to make the most of it

works ​on the earlier engines with a cable throttle. wont work on the later fly by wire would also mean changing the induction pipe and filter to 70mm to fit.

Zeitgeist: Not updated as only just got my induction kit today. Fitted now though! I thought it would make it a little throatier but.....It's the loudest thing in the world!!!! I really do need to make a video but only have my phone so will have to try it. Need to show you how crazy it sounds, never heard anything like it :O

Also on my first tank of Tesco's 99 ron going well so far. car does pull much better now. the new rev limit is a little weird getting used to but all good. still not found a 182 yet but now thinking of getting a decat on this :)

Zeitgeist: Not updated as only just got my induction kit today. Fitted now though! I thought it would make it a little throatier but.....It's the loudest thing in the world!!!! I really do need to make a video but only have my phone so will have to try it. Need to show you how crazy it sounds, never heard anything like it :O

Also on my first tank of Tesco's 99 ron going well so far. car does pull much better now. the new rev limit is a little weird getting used to but all good. still not found a 182 yet but now thinking of getting a decat on this :)

I'm glad you're impressed! Ben sent me through a video of his with the decat etc. it sounds fantastic.
I also need to make a video of mine but at the moment i have this horrific rattle from my heat sheilding around the centre of the car and booking time of work to sort it out is problamatic, got to get on top of that soon! I know ben made his video with just his phone i think and the sound quality was decent.

RS172 Flamer
I think you should go for this! I have looked into it myself, e-mailed TRW and RS Tuning but I'm having to use my savings for my sisters wedding abroad.

The "gotboost?" user on here from TRW says with this kit your car will be circa 170bhp with more torque than the N/A 2litres

Seen this too but the cost is pretty high to justify putting it on a 1.4/1.6. I notice bits like the garret turbo, DV etc are optional choices and i iamgine to get it properly worthwhile you're talking over 2k eur. That'd be nearly 4 times the cost of ym car - i don't know if i could justify spending that!

I'd imagine too as much as it might say it doesn't, you'd need stronger internals to stop the engine going bang. Even if you got away with stock internals, you'd at the very least want to check and recondition anything that didn't look even close to pristine.
It's a lot of money to splash out, of course if you do - you might as well go the whole hog and get cams etc.

Ahhhh Don't lol

I've just looked at it again. 170bhp would be great but with this I'd want to know what a white label turbo is and would it be expected to last the life of the car?

would cost about £1100 for the kit but unsure how much it would cost for someone to fit over here.

Like you said zeit adding the garret etc would push the price and I dunno whether it would be worth going for stronger internals also to make sure there are no issues.

I would love to have this done though. gotboost is pushing over 200bhp now with his.

Ahhhh Don't lol

I've just looked at it again. 170bhp would be great but with this I'd want to know what a white label turbo is and would it be expected to last the life of the car?

would cost about £1100 for the kit but unsure how much it would cost for someone to fit over here.

Like you said zeit adding the garret etc would push the price and I dunno whether it would be worth going for stronger internals also to make sure there are no issues.

I would love to have this done though. gotboost is pushing over 200bhp now with his.

White-label generally is a rebranded item that's mass-produced. I.e. A food company pumps out frozen pizzas. Some get boxed as Tescos Own, some as Asda Values, etc. Usually, but not always, they're lower quality items.
I.e. 'Generic', plain. THat's not to say it wont be very good - but you can't expect the same as getting anamed one, i.e. the Garrett.

For the cost of the kit - you could probably get a stupidly large/powerful engine and put that in. I know the idea is not to jsut do another f4r conversion, you want your 1.6 to be specced out, not a 2.0 clone.
For safety's sake - if you DID do that kit, you really REALLY would want to have EVERYTHING that's mechanically involved inspected, checked, done up. You don't want your no-name turbo to kick in and then just blow your pistons right into the head, or some other non-specific calamity!

i think theres a clio-turbo.co.uk forum thing - worth a poke if you're seriously considering a turbo kit.

Cheers for your input mate. hmmm so really it's not advised to run the white label. I Just can't decide what to do :( I should really be sensible and leave well alone. Still haven't managed to do a video of the induction kit yet. need a clear road, thinking if there is a way to make it quieter :/

In the meantime I've ordered a carbon front diamond and a new grill

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FK-Automotive-Badgeless-ABS-Sport-Grill-for-Renault-Clio-01-06-with-LED-lights/151044127279?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D8020847635946988086%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D151044127279%26

RS172 Flamer
Seen this too but the cost is pretty high to justify putting it on a 1.4/1.6. I notice bits like the garret turbo, DV etc are optional choices and i iamgine to get it properly worthwhile you're talking over 2k eur. That'd be nearly 4 times the cost of ym car - i don't know if i could justify spending that!

I'd imagine too as much as it might say it doesn't, you'd need stronger internals to stop the engine going bang. Even if you got away with stock internals, you'd at the very least want to check and recondition anything that didn't look even close to pristine.
It's a lot of money to splash out, of course if you do - you might as well go the whole hog and get cams etc.

I do see where you are coming from but personally I see €1k euros as a very good price compared to the £3.5k for the F4R kit. For cams it would costs over a thousand pounds, in comparison. Plus there is nothing wrong with putting a turbo on a 1.4/1.6 as the new Clio RS is a 1.6 turbo.

And checking the components is the normal thing to do anyway when fitting these kits. Buying cams and forging internals isn't exactly needed.

Ahhhh Don't lol

The 200bhp is stage 2, which accomodates for a different inlet and exhaust manifold I believe. If you want more power but without going over the top then I'd go stage 1. Basically a 1.6 Sleeper!

As I said, I sent e-mails to RS Tuning. They said they charge £45+vat per hour and it would be take approximately 6 hours. Worked out at £54 x 6 = £324 for fitting then mapping. All in all it would costs circa £2'000 for the kit then fitted and mapped. As said above the turbo kit for the 2 litre alone is about £3.5k

RS172 Flamer
£54 x 6 = £324 for fitting then mapping. All in all it would costs circa £2'000 for the kit
That is £54 (per hour inc VAT) x 6 (hours labour) for fitting. Then it would need mapping on top to bring it to the total.

1k euros = Approx £856.02 (using google converter). So to buy the kit it is apparently less than £1'000.