ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio or civic?

172cup.Mr2TurboStiV5
It all depends on what you want. If you want straight line speed and solid build, get a Civic. If you don't mind a slightly cheaper build, but want great handling, get a Clio. IMO.

Ive pulled past a civic in a straight line no problem..........

Swift Sport
Three years ago. It was an awesome car, but the drivetrain was crap compared to any Type R Honda.

Clio owners are all torque.

I drove a standard FRS back when they first came out, and a Megane 250 the week before. As awesomely capable as the Renault was I had to admit the Ford was a much more impressive car.

Clio owners are all torque.

I drove a standard FRS back when they first came out, and a Megane 250 the week before. As awesomely capable as the Renault was I had to admit the Ford was a much more impressive car.

Standard FRS is pretty weak. Tune them up for real thrills. Makes a Megane 250 feel like a Prius.

fast one
I didnt relize id cause such stir with this haha. I do love my honda but i fancy a change and clio for me is cheaper to insure, and clio seems a a good car to go to for similar performance etc.

PM'd imprezzaworks

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I didnt relize id cause such stir with this haha. I do love my honda but i fancy a change and clio for me is cheaper to insure, and clio seems a a good car to go to for similar performance etc.

PM'd imprezzaworks

Were you surprised how unbiased the forum was to the Clio? They are very close to call and bang for buck the Clio is brilliant... but... that steering wheel and that gearbox annoy me too much in comparison to the Civic.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I prefer the clio as a standard car, and the f4r is ok if it's turbo'd, but the gearboxes properly let the clio down.
Civic minus a bit of weight goes well though, and there are loads of good off the shelf parts available too.

fast one
Yeah i thought everyone would be like "get your jap shite off our forum you rice loving bumtickler" etc etc hahaha.

I know what you mean. I do like my civic but the clio being cheaper and same performance is swaying me a bit.

My mates got a 172 cup with few added extras and running somewhere in regeion of 185ish break. Had loads spent on it and sounds beautiful. Think its got a kspec exhaust (is that something?)

Really in two minds atm

Swift Sport
Standard FRS is pretty weak. Tune them up for real thrills. Makes a Megane 250 feel like a Prius.

From an ownership prospect though, I'd take even a standard FRS. Interior, looks ...oh and that noise! Much more special than the Meg.

As for the Clio v Civic debate, well... It'll go on forever, but Clio owners can't knock Type-R's though. Hell no.

fast one
Whats FRS?

Yeah its been cammed, port and polished head etc etc not.100% i know he paid a good bit for it a couples years ago...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I like the mk1 focus rs a lot but I'm not so keen on the Volvo ones.
Very capable cars but just all feels a bit too modern and a bit too uninvolved for me personally.Great as a fast daily but just feels a bit bigger than I like down country lanes or on track etc as a toy.

From an ownership prospect though, I'd take even a standard FRS.

Maybe you would, but as a Honda owner, you'd quickly tire of the slightly asthmatic top-end that the standard car tends to exhibit. Breathing mods and bigger intercooler are essential modifications.

Anyway back to the Clio and Civic: the Renault may have a crappy steering wheel, but some would say the Civic's actual steering was a bit crappy in terms of feedback. As in there is none. None. Then again the Clio needs about twelve turns lock-to-lock. You nearly have to cross your arms changing lanes on the motorway lol :eek:

Swift Sport
To summarise then....

Clio = Needs a steering wheel and a gearbox.
Civic = Needs a FRSU and some torque.
FRS(?) = Needs breathing mods and an intercooler.

Got it!

No mentions of an M3? Would be as relevant as someone comparing a 10 year old £3k EP3 with a Clio 200, or an FN2 with a 172 cup when the OP has an EP3 so may as well throw that in to the mix.

260% JCW
The Focus RS is a great car IMO, just a shame some seem to be suffering from cracked piston rings.

OP have you drove your mates Clio? Maybe worth swapping cars for a few hours.

There is about 2ft lb of Tourque difference between the 2 having a look, that's if the clio makes book figure.

My civic feels like it has more torque low Down, especially 6th gear pull, standard form I think the ep3 handled better as well.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Clio. Although. Civics are good. Ep3 style that is b

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There is about 2ft lb of Tourque difference between the 2 having a look, that's if the clio makes book figure.

My civic feels like it has more torque low Down, especially 6th gear pull, standard form I think the ep3 handled better as well.

Clios normally exceed their book torque figure, plus are lighter so you kind of feel the torque more.