ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio GT?

TT 225+
seriously considering a gt. I'm leaning more towards the dci as i do alot of miles. But the petrol is loads faster on paper. Anybody driven the dci that can compare it to the petrol? Also not sure what colour to get. Thoughts appreciated :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
white on a gt looks ace, get that :D

Or just get the 200 deal that everyone else is getting, better car for probably the same money

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
I'm awaiting delivery of a Glacier White GT dCi as we speak. Will post pictures when I get it for those interested.

If you want something that looks relatively nice that's cheap on tax and good on fuel, then it's an alright buy, if a little pricey.

If you want sporty performance, buy a 200.

TT 225+
cant afford the insurance on a 200 thats the problem :( only 19 lol
is there a remap available for the diesel?

cant afford the insurance on a 200 thats the problem :( only 19 lol
is there a remap available for the diesel?

should be able to get them remapped quite easy

you should declare it to your insurance as your 19 i don't think a remap is going to be premium friendly if they are prepared to cover you a remap will also void parts of your warranty if its proved the parts failed due to the map also don't believe the myths they are un delectable

have you driven a dci gt ?

TT 225+
should be able to get them remapped quite easy

you should declare it to your insurance as your 19 i don't think a remap is going to be premium friendly if they are prepared to cover you a remap will also void parts of your warranty if its proved the parts failed due to the map also don't believe the myths they are un delectable

have you driven a dci gt ?

no i havent, but with it only being 106bhp im just wondering if it will be a bit too small

the petrol sounds good from what i've read.and youcan wring its neck.

hmm

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
Why bother re-mapping it? It's going to be slow regardless. Not only that a lad your age (judging by the fact you can't afford the insurance for a 200) won't be able to afford the unnecessary repair bills if any modifications you do invalidate parts of the warranty.

Just drive it sensibly, keep a clean licence and collect some NCB to work up the scale.

Be positive about the Diesel (I'm having to drop from a 225bhp Turbo Megane to a 1.5 dCi!!) you'll get good MPG and a fun car to boot that's reliable and under warranty! Save your pennies for the 200 next :D

TT 225+
Why bother re-mapping it? It's going to be slow regardless. Not only that a lad your age (judging by the fact you can't afford the insurance for a 200) won't be able to afford the unnecessary repair bills if any modifications you do invalidate parts of the warranty.

Just drive it sensibly, keep a clean licence and collect some NCB to work up the scale.

Be positive about the Diesel (I'm having to drop from a 225bhp Turbo Megane to a 1.5 dCi!!) you'll get good MPG and a fun car to boot that's reliable and under warranty! Save your pennies for the 200 next :D
a very good point :) you sir, speak sense lol. its actually a step up in power for me anyway :eek: when you get yours let us know what it's like :)

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
I mate, speak from experience only :D

I've only got a diesel because it's a trade off in terms of saving for a mortgage, when I've got my mortgage I'll go and buy a Megane 250 :D

It will be your pride and joy but just be careful with mods etc and build up some no claims, you'll be amazed at how the insurance freefalls each year.

Black Clio GT
oh ffs, another can of worms gt thread lol
i did a convoy to fcs on sunday and didnt drive like a c**k (65mph most of the way there and back) and managed 45mpg in the 1.6 petrol but it averages 33 with driving to and from work, through town, in traffic. which i think is ok, but if your wanting 45-50mpg average is obviously best to go with the diesel.
the only thing the gt needs is some lowering springs and spacers to sort the handeling and stance out. if your not going to drive it on track or expect it to be fast on the road then you wont be disapointed and spend thousands on engine mods that could be put towards a better car......all imo ;-)

Clio 1.5dci GT
I've got a 59 plate GT DCI and it is amazing. Drives well round town and when you put your foot down on A roads it pulls great. Stick Cruise on or above 70 and you get 63MPG :approve: Handles well a few nice extras that I wanted. Got it because my renault dealer had one kicking about and it wasnt the price of a brand new one plus the fact I cant afford an RS 200

320d
Personally i'd steer clear, huge depreciation from the brand new car and you will probably get bored quickly.

A Twingo 133 on the other hand is a warm hatch with a proper hot hatch chassis, sporty looks, easier to sell on etc.

What puts me off mainly with the GT as mentioned above is resale. Jason stuggled to sell his, nobody wanted it private, Renault didn't want it back etc. Says a lot about the car.

Clio 1.5dci GT
Agreed on the depreciation bit, I was originally going to a buy a new one, but didn't want to, and it shows, my car was 4 months old and had lost nearly £5k, so I was pleased that I picked up a "bargain"

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
Mine's on finance and has a very good GFV, else I wouldn't have bothered.

If you engineer the deal correctly you won't have an issue. All new cars lose money if that's what scares you then buy one that's a year old.

maviso5, do you have any pictures of your car?

Not a 320d
+1 on white. Looks nice!

Very basic IMO.

Dci if you want economy, the 1.6 is just a fast 1.2 i think lol. Its a fun car to drive i guess, coilovers or 45mm hr springs is a must with spacers on the rear.

I went for a GT over a sport too, I get the whole "you could have had a nice 1 series, or something else for £11.5K" all the time from my friends. Kinda regret buying a new car, i could have spent the £11.5k on a 182 an insured it for 2 years most likely but.....i didnt want to. Part time job and at uni, cant really justify the running costs.

TT 225+
Mine's on finance and has a very good GFV, else I wouldn't have bothered.

If you engineer the deal correctly you won't have an issue. All new cars lose money if that's what scares you then buy one that's a year old.

maviso5, do you have any pictures of your car?

how much are you paying a month if you dont mind me asking?

Clio 1.5dci GT
Very basic IMO.

Dci if you want economy, the 1.6 is just a fast 1.2 i think lol. Its a fun car to drive i guess, coilovers or 45mm hr springs is a must with spacers on the rear.

I went for a GT over a sport too, I get the whole "you could have had a nice 1 series, or something else for £11.5K" all the time from my friends. Kinda regret buying a new car, i could have spent the £11.5k on a 182 an insured it for 2 years most likely but.....i didnt want to. Part time job and at uni, cant really justify the running costs.

i am in the same situ as yourself, also at uni and part time job. No one has said to me about the costs, but tbh i wouldn't be able to afford the insurance + running costs of an RS :dapprove:

Clio 1.5dci GT
i do feel a bit out of place on this forum tho...but cant afford or afford the insurance of an RS :(

Clio 1.5dci GT
would of loved to be on the Cliosport stand at the FCS. RS twingos are good fun. had a race with one the other day

Not a 320d
i am in the same situ as yourself, also at uni and part time job. No one has said to me about the costs, but tbh i wouldn't be able to afford the insurance + running costs of an RS :dapprove:

Ive done the math, it would skint me. Theres plenty of things id rarther be doing over running a 182 and being skint each month. Got stung on insurance for some reason this year, £860 (21, 6pts, 3NCD, 4years driving), ive got 1 extra NCD thing and no more points this year, and im being charged more ffs.

i do feel a bit out of place on this forum tho...but cant afford or afford the insurance of an RS :(

Yeah a lot of people dont understand why i spent £11.5k on a brand new car when i could have bought a not very old 197 or something. Bearing in mind that i want to keep the car 3 years.

TT 225+
i enquired about an rs twingo cup today, lookers renault are doing a deal, 199 deposit, 199 a month for 2 years with the option to buy or have a new car after 2 years :)