ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio DCI wont start

BMW 318CI SPORT, Clio DCI
Hi guys, you have probably seen my threads about the wifes clio not starting, and then after a while starting. Now its got to the point of no return...
For those of you that havnt heard of the problem its a 2002 Clio DCI with 130,000 on the clock.
When I flick the key the glow plug/immobiliser light doesnt come on, so when I go to start it, it just attempts to start but doesnt turn over.

Any help appreciated as I REALLY need to get it going.

Would that cause it to not start though? I thought that may just give it a real rough start?

ValverInBits
glow plug relay not working??

I wouldnt start there if it's not turning over.

Can you hear the starter motor solenoid "click"
If you continue to hold the key while the starter motor isnt turning, you build too much current in the motor and burn the coils. The starter may be damaged / it may need a new battery. Diesels are incredibly hard to crank, especially when cold.

Hi
The thing is, its very tempremental, I may go to it the middle of the night and the glow plug light comes on, and it starts... but now this is in a blue moon. I do here the click, sounds like it comes just behind the glove box...

Black Gold Trophy
if it's not turning over then check simple things like starter motor relay, and go on from there to make sure that starter motor is getting a live etc.

BG V6, LY 182
My old car played up before. where it was turning over just not starting.
Now im no tech head and dont know if this will help, however we ended up taking the negative off the battery, turning to start it whilst placing the negative back on, (sparked a bit) and it fired away. Havent a clue why someone told us to do it but it worked, and it never done it again.

Well, im going to be right on that in the morning... :) im willing to try anything at the moment...

Yes battery is fine, and starter motor too. Would you lot doubt me if I thought it was the TDC sensor?