ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio cup driveshafts, help and advice needed (pics inside)

clio 172 cup
iv had my clio for a few months now and for aslong as i can remember, when i set off it makes a slight click noise, also when i reverse. it has never really bothered me till now. when i looked under the car it appeared to have two diffrent drive shafts, one with an ABS ring on the offside drivers side, and the one on the near off side passenger side doesnt have one.

offside, drivers side. with ABS ring
offsidedrivers.jpg

nearside, passenger side. with NO ABS ring
nearsidepassenger.jpg

i've done abit of searching on the site, and it could be a normal 172 shaft fitted on the offside. but im dropping it off at the garage on monday for futher inspection of the shaft and whats causing the clicking.

but what do you guys think? also where could i come across a clio cup drive shaft?

info and advice greatly appreciated.

Cup In bits
No a 172 cup driveshaft will only fit as its specific to the cup, genuine only im afraid and i think there approx £250

Are you sure? all 1*2's have the same 23 splines inside and outside so any shaft COULD fit but they are of different lengths.

If it's a 172 cup you have they all have one piece driveshafts where as otheres have two piece, have a quick look and see.

clio 172 cup
Sometimes cup shafts have ABS rings, click is more likely to be a balljoint.

shouldnt be a balljoint. iv just had new wishbones fitted, and it did it prior to that. and still does it now. i just thought it was strange one side has ABS ring on but the other doesnt.

clio 172 cup
also the tracking was out, and when i had it corrected the guy who did it ways he couldnt adjust the camber on the drivers side as it was right against the hole. so possible it couldnt be adjusted because it may be a shorter shaft. as i believe the cup shafts are slightly longer i think.

Cup In bits
also the tracking was out, and when i had it corrected the guy who did it ways he couldnt adjust the camber on the drivers side as it was right against the hole. so possible it couldnt be adjusted because it may be a shorter shaft. as i believe the cup shafts are slightly longer i think.

You shouldn't be able to adjust camber on a standard car. Clicking while moving forward and back with wheels straight ahead is usually a driveshaft. The cup shafts are supposed to be the longest and are easily reconisible by being a one piece shaft.

clio 172 cup
i know its got me thinking now. but im wondering why would it have an abs ring on and the other doesnt. i'll find out more on monday wether its a 2 piece or 1 piece shaft.

Cup In bits
No worries I just had to lol, just with what I was saying that it was maybe a 2 piece shaft from the normal 172 you might of thought it could have been the wrong shaft fitted.