ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 4 RS VS Fiesta ST EcoBoost

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I'd have had a Clio over the ST if I could, but for an extra 3k it makes no sense whatsoever.

My mind was made up, I was going to visit the Renault dealer and order, but with positive ST comments on Twitter from the Harris I gave Ford one chance to hook me and they did.

Part of me still thinks I should have gone Clio for the softer easier life LOL

Oh well, another 5ys 100k in a headbanger for me.

Perhaps I came across as a little nobbish. I apologise.

I still think people have missed the point in the Clio. It don't want to be a tearaway anymore, it wants to be a golf.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Mark it won't be bad on the motorway. Not many modern cars are.

I had a feeling the Ford would come out on top with the press. Doesn't mean it's the best choice for everyone though. I think it's what I would buy out of the three.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mark it won't be bad on the motorway. Not many modern cars are.

It's A/B roads I'm concerned about.

I can count on one hand the number of motorway miles I do out of my 20k annual mileage.

My current non-Cup Clio 200 is just about perfect, good body control, doesn't skip over every rut or broken surfaces and great at last minute avoidance of horsesh*t/tractors/upturned cars. I think, the ST is going to be a far stiffer proposition.

So its okay for someone to post a genuine review with their own opinion for it to just be swamped with pointless drivel and **** fighting?

RDH and PovertyRS sound like a pair of school children having an argument. What's the point in the thread if its just for childish bickering? It's titled Fiesta VS Clio no? So I came in here expecting to see peoples opinions on the 2 different cars, incorrect or correct it's still nice to see other peoples opinions.

You are aware that you're in the Internet, yes?

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I had a feeling the Ford would come out on top with the press. Doesn't mean it's the best choice for everyone though. I think it's what I would buy out of the three.

This.

I guess I am getting old now (32) and am sick of driving round in a Clio with a body kit. However I still want a car I can track on the weekends with out it falling over its self. I like that the Clio has grown up a little.. however I can see how fans of the original concept of the Clio RS don't like it, for this the Ford will appeal a lot more.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Well that's it, the Clio lost out to both the Fiesta ST and the Peugeot 208 GTi in this weeks Auto Express. The world has come to an end........

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I can't wait for my test drive and placing my order. As long as I can use the gearbox on a daily basis I am shall order mine on the day. Still not sure what colour to go for. I was thinking Black but it looks awful with the Cup wheels.

ff cup ur 200
just read this wks autocar and the results of there shootout are st 1st clio 2nd and pug 3rd, st ftw.

ff cup ur 200
oops thats already been covered earlier in the thread i see, is anybody that surprised with these results?
just read this wks autocar and the results of there shootout are st 1st clio 2nd and pug 3rd, st ftw.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Fiesta has no cruise control option.

Mega fail.

Agreed, only comes on Titanium model. Can be retrofitted but lot of hassle i've found out. Anyway I don't do motorway driving so it's not a worry for me.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
this, john gordon appears to have the blinkers well and truely on.

No, I opoligised for being a dick about it, but I want different things from the Clio. I don't want a tear away car and so like the evolution into a grown up car, I don't want to flick my car from apex to apex on the way to work and don't want a car that screams boy racer. Hence i like the new Clio, and of course after pretty much committing to buying one of course i will defend it.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
No, I opoligised for being a dick about it, but I want different things from the Clio. I don't want a tear away car and so like the evolution into a grown up car, I don't want to flick my car from apex to apex on the way to work and don't want a car that screams boy racer. Hence i like the new Clio, and of course after pretty much committing to buying one of course i will defend it.

In fairness that pretty much puts you out of the catagory of most previous RS owners IMO.

I believe Renault will have lost many of there old customers with the new car, but we shall see.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Why? The money re-couped would never match the money out laid, so rather than sell it for 10k down the line I'll keep hold of my 700hp monster.

What's that coming over the hill? Is it a monster is it a monster?
No it's in the garage :p

I'm buying a new RS 200t and don't give a stuff about depreciation (or its review in autoexpress against the ST & GTi) my 182 wasn't the best build quality but it has lasted me 8 years from new. The mrs keeps on at me to buy second hand but why when I don't know the history it it'll be out of date for warranty or soon to be will only last another few years before having to buy another second hand car same results where as new no worries for 4 years or 100000 miles which ever comes first. It's also cheaper to run and tax. There are always arguments for and against buying new its a personal financial choice and there is nothing like the smell of a new car again.
This post seems full of people from both extremes of the argument and are getting very up tight about something that in reality has bugger all to do with them.
Move with the times and embrace the change, cars are changing whether you agreed with it or not is irrelevant and if it offends you that much don't buy what ever has offended your way of life

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
In fairness that pretty much puts you out of the catagory of most previous RS owners IMO.

I believe Renault will have lost many of there old customers with the new car, but we shall see.

I agree 100%. I have a Ph1 at the moment, it was bought simply because in Amsterdam there is no need for a car, so it was a track toy that can occasionally go shopping. Now my needs have changed, i do more miles and so need something more civilized however i still like to pedal a car hard every now and then and want something that will reward my efforts, hence the new Clio fits.

For die hard RS fans I can see how the car has lost its appeal. I guess I am the minority.

Listerine & Poledo
I suspect that is exactly what they are hoping for.

+1
Respectable shopping-run mums are a better revenue stream than the majority of this forum, as far as manufacturers are concerned.

Of course, in 4 years the 200T will be dry-bummed by any chavling with a credit-rating, but there'll also be more cars available on 2nd market as more new ones will have been sold.....to people who don't measure driving pleasure by comparing reviews

I can't wait for my test drive and placing my order. As long as I can use the gearbox on a daily basis I am shall order mine on the day. Still not sure what colour to go for. I was thinking Black but it looks awful with the Cup wheels.

Yeah the colour choice is really quite an issue. There is an expensive yellow, then the red which you either like or not (I personally don't) and that's it for "colourful colours" - only shades of gray are left. I generally like black but not so much on small cars, white is just too "ordinary" IMO and gray is a fleet car colour here where I live. Hard to choose from, Renault!

Mark 1 Clio V6
Standard metallic red should not be on any car IMO, especially not a hatch back.
It ages worse than black.

Flame red/Capsicum is an entirely different tale.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Don't be put off by the 'red'.

In videos and pictures it looks dull, almost burgundy, but in the flesh in the sun, it is stunning. Really really bright.

Agree'd lovely colour in the flesh.

It will be common tho.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Agree'd lovely colour in the flesh.

It will be common tho.

People said that it'd be the most common colour for the normal Clio 4 but to date the only Clio 4 I've seen in red is ours. Every other one is white, black or silver.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
People said that it'd be the most common colour for the normal Clio 4 but to date the only Clio 4 I've seen in red is ours. Every other one is white, black or silver.

There's shed loads round my area bud. My local dealer has a number of them on the forcourt as well.

I think the Flamme red is "objectively" nice (if there is such thing as objectivity when talking colours) but I personally don't want to be driving a red car in any shade unless it's a Ferrari :)

Shame that the Platine gray is almost impossible to find in any pictures. Oh wait, it is a standard colour for all Clios so I should find something on the internets.

S2H

RS Clio 200
This is how the road car should have looked! I'm going to take a trip to Team Pyro, seeing as they're only like 3miles from my house and have a look.

ClioCup2014_zpsa860193c.jpg

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
It does just add the cup spoiler............... and lower the suspension, can't see what people are on about when they say it does stand out from the standard clio. It has different front and rear bumpers same as the 172/182/197/200 have...... so its not 20mm wider big deal.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
It does just add the cup spoiler............... and lower the suspension, can't see what people are on about when they say it does stand out from the standard clio. It has different front and rear bumpers same as the 172/182/197/200 have...... so its not 20mm wider big deal.

Me either tbh.