ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 220 trophy PH2 vs Megane 275 trophy chat

Clio 220 PH2
Hi all,

I am starting to think about my next car I am not in a position to buy at the minute as I am currently in the process of buying my first home however I am hoping the end of this year start of next I will be in a better position. Now I had a MK4 Clio 200T and really liked the car but I think I got unlucky and it spent a good time of my ownership in the garage being fixed so I am not fully put off by the MK4 unless I am going to keep running into issues like the last one.
I will be looking at turning the car into a club sport spec car so I can daily drive it and it to be a track car, I currently have the 182 that I daily drive at the minute but it’s not really a great daily to be honest too track focused especially going into the winter.

Things that need to be considered are
Reliability
Fuel economy when I am in a sensible going to work situation
Track capability/ modification
Running costs i.e servicing
Known faults or weaknesses
Things to look for when buying one

Any help would be great I would like to hear what people have to say about both cars good and bad things. I don’t know whether to step up to a Megane or stick with the trusty Clio’s that I bloody love.

Maybe some photos of people’s cars too so I can get some ideas what they can be turned into/specs

Can’t comment on the clio trophy but I’m two weeks deep into meg 275 trophy ownership and the car is next level

I own a mk3 200 raider and it’s in “club sport” spec with stripped rear seats and big boot mat, coilovers, rear arb, good tyres, nicely set up for a balance of track and daily, although I use it as a fast road car, as I have a 182 for track work, I love my clio it’s so raw and doesn’t try to be anything other than what it is, it’s the last thread in the n/a manual category,

The meg though as a daily is very good, fairly comfy, nice bit of poke, interior is good it’s no Audi/golf but it’s nicer than lower models of meg/Renault

But you can tell it’s set up for smashing lap times right out of the box, you press the R.S. button and the throttle map sharpens up, the akrapovic starts poping and banging on up shifts and over run, and with mine (ohlins fitted) the suspension comes into its own, it inspires so much confidence the car is so planted compared to my clio 200, and the diff makes a massive difference it just grips and grips and grips, yet to have it on track but have took it on a very spirited drive over the North Yorkshire moors, which are pretty much England’s equivalent to the Nürburgring and the car just lapped it up, it makes you feel like a vln driver

Have a couple of little faults with mine one is a ball joint failing and the trophy stripes have bubbled with the sun, but both under warranty so no worries

cdab60686ebd6d28744ffad9c40ea02a.jpg

3a835fc81f69128f39489660fd363416.jpg

Clio 220 PH2
Can’t comment on the clio trophy but I’m two weeks deep into meg 275 trophy ownership and the car is next level

I own a mk3 200 raider and it’s in “club sport” spec with stripped rear seats and big boot mat, coilovers, rear arb, good tyres, nicely set up for a balance of track and daily, although I use it as a fast road car, as I have a 182 for track work, I love my clio it’s so raw and doesn’t try to be anything other than what it is, it’s the last thread in the n/a manual category,

The meg though as a daily is very good, fairly comfy, nice bit of poke, interior is good it’s no Audi/golf but it’s nicer than lower models of meg/Renault

But you can tell it’s set up for smashing lap times right out of the box, you press the R.S. button and the throttle map sharpens up, the akrapovic starts poping and banging on up shifts and over run, and with mine (ohlins fitted) the suspension comes into its own, it inspires so much confidence the car is so planted compared to my clio 200, and the diff makes a massive difference it just grips and grips and grips, yet to have it on track but have took it on a very spirited drive over the North Yorkshire moors, which are pretty much England’s equivalent to the Nürburgring and the car just lapped it up, it makes you feel like a vln driver

Have a couple of little faults with mine one is a ball joint failing and the trophy stripes have bubbled with the sun, but both under warranty so no worries

View attachment 1381059

View attachment 1381060
Thank you very much I appreciate the help, is the ohlins worth having on the car or would it be better to get one without and treat it to some nice coil overs ? I want a compromise between road and track. I go to the Nurburgring so I want a nice drive there it’s a beast around the ring and drive back

What’s the fuel like is it a bit of a drinker or not too bad ?

Love the car mate it looks really nice I must admit they are a stunning car

Thank you very much I appreciate the help, is the ohlins worth having on the car or would it be better to get one without and treat it to some nice coil overs ? I want a compromise between road and track. I go to the Nurburgring so I want a nice drive there it’s a beast around the ring and drive back

What’s the fuel like is it a bit of a drinker or not too bad ?

Love the car mate it looks really nice I must admit they are a stunning car

No problem mate,

You won’t see a difference in price getting ohlins or not at the current market, so I would defiantly recommend getting them, as in the future trophies will be worth more and be more desirable with them, also if you have them now the car is ready to hit the ring out of the box, you get one with cup suspension you looking 2k+ for kw’s ect, okay the ohlins aren’t height adjustable (they are but only 10mm on the front) but they are a great piece of kit, and at least you have great suspension until you get some coilovers that give you what you want,

The fuel is good, but I’m comparing it to my supercharged s4 and 200, so it’s my most economical car, probabaly get around 40mpg when commuting low 20’s tooling it around

Yeah they really are good looking especially with the speedline turini alloys, I do wish it would go lower but at least I have the option to go to more adjustable coilovers later, but while I save I have suspension that is more than capable for battering over the moors

Clio 220 PH2
No problem mate,

You won’t see a difference in price getting ohlins or not at the current market, so I would defiantly recommend getting them, as in the future trophies will be worth more and be more desirable with them, also if you have them now the car is ready to hit the ring out of the box, you get one with cup suspension you looking 2k+ for kw’s ect, okay the ohlins aren’t height adjustable (they are but only 10mm on the front) but they are a great piece of kit, and at least you have great suspension until you get some coilovers that give you what you want,

The fuel is good, but I’m comparing it to my supercharged s4 and 200, so it’s my most economical car, probabaly get around 40mpg when commuting low 20’s tooling it around

Yeah they really are good looking especially with the speedline turini alloys, I do wish it would go lower but at least I have the option to go to more adjustable coilovers later, but while I save I have suspension that is more than capable for battering over the moors
Ow right that’s fair enough I wasn’t sure if they were cheaper but if they are the same price you may as well get the ohlins suspension. Yeah I watched a video where they were talking about the small amount of height adjustment and the best rebound setting for different applications.

Wow that’s pretty good I wouldn’t complain at them numbers my 182 doesn’t do much better I could live with mpg like that

Yeah they are a great looking car straight out the box, what’s the rear seats like can you fit a real person in the back lol

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I had a Meg 265 for a year. Sold it earlier this year as I needed something bigger to tow with. Great car though. Bit quiet as standard but a mid box chop sorted that, while not being intrusive.

I've driven a lot of modern hot hatches and the Megane really is up there with the best of them. It's not the most practical, due to the lack of doors and smallish boot opening, but it's perfectly acceptable for most people. It more than makes up for it in terms of driving. It feels really quite special for a hatchback, feels raw and the steering is on another level compared to most modern stuff.

They seem pretty reliable for the most part. Front ball joints are worth watching out for but they are more durable than the older models. Mine replaced a new Golf R and I would take the Megane over that 1000x over, let alone the Clio.

Ow right that’s fair enough I wasn’t sure if they were cheaper but if they are the same price you may as well get the ohlins suspension. Yeah I watched a video where they were talking about the small amount of height adjustment and the best rebound setting for different applications.

Wow that’s pretty good I wouldn’t complain at them numbers my 182 doesn’t do much better I could live with mpg like that

Yeah they are a great looking car straight out the box, what’s the rear seats like can you fit a real person in the back lol

they are no different in size to our s4 avant, even for a big estate car that has a tiny foot wells in the rear when i sit in it (6'1") so in terms of space you aren't loosing anything in the meg compared to a big estate car, you would fit a normal size man in the back i doubt it wouldn't be fun getting a lift to the ring in the back though, but for day to day stuff there would be no problem

Clio 220 PH2
I had a Meg 265 for a year. Sold it earlier this year as I needed something bigger to tow with. Great car though. Bit quiet as standard but a mid box chop sorted that, while not being intrusive.

I've driven a lot of modern hot hatches and the Megane really is up there with the best of them. It's not the most practical, due to the lack of doors and smallish boot opening, but it's perfectly acceptable for most people. It more than makes up for it in terms of driving. It feels really quite special for a hatchback, feels raw and the steering is on another level compared to most modern stuff.

They seem pretty reliable for the most part. Front ball joints are worth watching out for but they are more durable than the older models. Mine replaced a new Golf R and I would take the Megane over that 1000x over, let alone the Clio.

Yeah I was hoping to get one with the akrapovic exhaust so it’s a bit more fruity.
Yeah I hear only good things about these cars I love the Renault sport brand I like what they represent it’s more driver focus than build quality lol I like that.
Well as you may know I daily my 182 track car at the minute so anything with a carpet in the boot would be an improvement haha.

Yeah I can live with ball joints and what not it’s more very expensive things like gearboxes, engines stuff if they fail regularly.

I feel it’s a natural step up from the Clio going to the Megane.

Clio 220 PH2
they are no different in size to our s4 avant, even for a big estate car that has a tiny foot wells in the rear when i sit in it (6'1") so in terms of space you aren't loosing anything in the meg compared to a big estate car, you would fit a normal size man in the back i doubt it wouldn't be fun getting a lift to the ring in the back though, but for day to day stuff there would be no problem
That’s fair enough I don’t normally have people in the back but it’s handy to have the space if you need to take people for a short distance. That’s good eventually the back seats will come out and be replaced with a cage

Yeah I was hoping to get one with the akrapovic exhaust so it’s a bit more fruity.
Yeah I hear only good things about these cars I love the Renault sport brand I like what they represent it’s more driver focus than build quality lol I like that.
Well as you may know I daily my 182 track car at the minute so anything with a carpet in the boot would be an improvement haha.

Yeah I can live with ball joints and what not it’s more very expensive things like gearboxes, engines stuff if they fail regularly.

I feel it’s a natural step up from the Clio going to the Megane.

Akra is standard on a trophy ?

tbf they are a f4r engine, so only some difference between them to accept the boost, so maintenance and breakage aren't too dear, think gearbox are fairly bullet proof its revs that kill them not the torque

Clio 220 PH2
Akra is standard on a trophy ?

tbf they are a f4r engine, so only some difference between them to accept the boost, so maintenance and breakage aren't too dear, think gearbox are fairly bullet proof its revs that kill them not the torque
Wicked even better I heard a few when I was at the ring recently and they do sound nice especially from a factory exhaust

That’s good yeah I must admit my engine has been pretty good in the 182. Yeah I am not someone who has the car on the Rev limiter all the time so hopefully they last. I just want a reliable car that doesn’t keep breaking all the time lol

I would assume they have RS monitors fitted to them as standard

Wicked even better I heard a few when I was at the ring recently and they do sound nice especially from a factory exhaust

That’s good yeah I must admit my engine has been pretty good in the 182. Yeah I am not someone who has the car on the Rev limiter all the time so hopefully they last. I just want a reliable car that doesn’t keep breaking all the time lol

I would assume they have RS monitors fitted to them as standard

Yeah they do have a nice roar to them,

I’m the opposite I like to rev my cars out I don’t stay on the limiter but get pretty close to it, the clio has took the abuse for the last 60k and not a thing has gone wrong, I honestly believe these engines last longer if you drive them as they where Intended

Yeah the sure do they have all the TomTom and that built into it too, the only option in multimedia is dab, the trophy literally is a full fat car all options ticked

Only options where

Sunroof
Dab radio
Speedline wheels
Ohlins
Reversing camera

I have the pdf for the original sales brochure somewhere I’ll find a link for you

Clio 220 PH2
@glenn_adam_doble yeah and for them to pop and bang as well that is cool

Yeah I know what you mean I normally Rev it to around 6k and then if I am having a play with my dad or mates on the track the old Rev start increasing lol

I was going to say they are bloody well specced wow this conversation with yourself may of been very expensive for me haha

Thank you for the pdf that’s great nice to see the difference options and the comparison between the trophy and the R spec wise