ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 water getting into boot

Realised over last month or so when taking things in and out of boot that carpet has been wet, sat carpet out last week to dry it and all okay but in boot today and its wet again, boot is empty so nothing to leak, just removed tool pack and there is water lying under it, now i appreciate renault build quality is shocking as it is but whats causing this? Car is about 21 months old so under warranty.

Any similar issues on anyone elses clios?

Not me personally but you're the 3rd person I've heard of having this problem with a mk3.

No cause/solution though, don't use a pressure washer do you?

Have in past but always wary when using one near seals etc, havent used power washer on car in months, will phone dealers on monday and see what trademark shite comes out there mouths

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Every clio I've had has had water leaking in via the boot! They've all been easy fixed but not really the point!

Mine have been boot seal, cluster seal, rubber gromits and the 172 was a small hole in the sealant that bonds the rear quarter to the roof.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'm on the case as we speak. So far i've found its getting in whilst standing rain.... I *think* its looking like the O/S light cluster. It runs through the box section where the boot strike is, then out and pools in the boot.

Under my tool kit i bet there was 1/2 a pint of water!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My mate had to have a new boot seal AND one of the rear light units as the seal had gone.

Not uncommon on them unfortunately.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Thats what silicone is made for ;)

Just had a quick nose,

leak3.jpg

Water in mine seems to be coming in then running down this box section, which then leaks out into the tool recess.....

Just whipped out the rear cluster, and sealed round these for now, (they have foam seals)

leak2.jpg

But my money is on these bad boys. They are only sealed to the body by foam, but its a bumper off job to get at them,

leak1.jpg

Once the sealant has dried tonight, I'll pour some water over it when i get home later, then check again in the morning to see if just sealing round the lights has sorted it

*btw mace has nothing on my paint skills ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Right! Very productive day today, 99% sure its sorted.

So, before we started, been riding round with no boot interior, this included the tool kit, carpet, rear trim and parcel shelf

WP_000074.jpg

WP_000073.jpg

As the bumper is coming off for full diagnosis, rear lights have to come out. x3 T20 screws, then pull the clusters towards you. Once off, I then removed the rear wheels, and diffuser, which is held by x2 13mm nuts and x2 T20's.This left it looking like this,

WP_000075.jpg

Then with the wheels removed it made removing part of the rear arch liners easier. Each side is held by x2 T20's, one near the bumper join, and one underneath, and plastic washer near the rear damper. Removed,

WP_000076.jpg

WP_000081.jpg

WP_000079.jpg

So, once all that is off, time to remove the bumper. Quite surprised to find its just the skin, the rear crash inserts are bolted to the car. Its held with X1 20 each side, by the join to the rear quarter panel. The bumper is clipped in to the quarter panels. few swift tugs, sees them free ;)

WP_000082.jpg

Once removed, your faced with this,

WP_000083.jpg

Bingo, found the issue,

WP_000085.jpg

WP_000086.jpg

^ Both the seals round the vents have split and perished, you can see them just hanging off. Water runs down the boot channel, straight on top of these. These clip into the box section which fills with water, then finds its way into the boot/tool recess........

So Removed the vents, cleaned up the area on the body work, and cracked out the clear silicone!

WP_000089.jpg

Then, reattached the seals on the vents,

WP_000087.jpg

WP_000088.jpg

At this point it started to rain, so never got any more pics. But basically, I clipped the vents back in, and rebuilt the car. I've just checked the boot, and there is no sigh of any more water ingress, so fingers crossed. I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days, and report any findings

Cheers

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Wasn't little really, there was virtually a cup full of water in the tool kit recess!

Clio 200 Cup
@gaz-kev
Mine's still 100% dry but good to know about this!
Thanks for documenting your investigation.