ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 v's 182 Cup - 5th GEAR

Evo had the 200 Cup about 2 seconds quicker around Bedford than the Trophy, didn't they? Different days so different temps/conditions etc, but you would assume that's a big enough margin to discount ambient changes.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I read the Evo write up on the 200 and it was very quick, much quicker than the 197 and 182.

Seems like sour grapes in this topic to me when ppl run around saying silly things like the "real result".

Nippy white cup
Does happen tho fella. I remember years back when they had an old vs new and I think it was the mr2 race or something...the result went the 'wrong' way so they re did it but a different result

Chris

ITB'd MK1
Does happen tho fella. I remember years back when they had an old vs new and I think it was the mr2 race or something...the result went the 'wrong' way so they re did it but a different result

Chris

Peugeot wouldn't allow the 206 to do timed handling against the 205 in a similar test (big group test of old Vs new) They knew the result

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Evo had the 200 Cup about 2 seconds quicker around Bedford than the Trophy, didn't they? Different days so different temps/conditions etc, but you would assume that's a big enough margin to discount ambient changes.
Evo always use the same driver?

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Thats the first time i've watched fifth gear in years, the 2 guys on the couch were so annoying and struck me as knowing as much about cars as i do about stamp collecting, the tall skinny one was an absolute c*ck. The guy reviewing the Merc seemed to be the only one worth listening to, have they got rid of VBH??, thank fcuk i didnt have to hear her irritating voice or watch her dodgy gob fighting her teeth.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Gotta agree about those two. The other tw*t who done the merc thing is worse. He is definitely a James may wannabe. I think it's getting more and more a cheap copy of top gear with every series.

Still nice to see an older Clio coming a close second.

GTD, Lupo
Love the fixing coment :D But it was a good run just a shame the review of the car was so short. I was getting a lot of stick from the guys at work as we were watching it and even more so when the 182 was ahead on the first stage. Thank god renault got in there and fixed it or i wouldnt have been able to show my face at work for a while.

Paul

clio trophy No56
I think someone, like Top Gear should put every clio sport from the williams 3 up to the current 200, including the cups and Trophy, in a straight line race then around a track, would be good to see the outcome of that....
I remember a while ago when they did new school v old school on top gear and a couple of the old school ones won, there wasnt any clio's in that one though:(.

GTD, Lupo
I think someone, like Top Gear should put every clio sport from the williams 3 up to the current 200, including the cups and Trophy, in a straight line race then around a track, would be good to see the outcome of that....
I remember a while ago when they did new school v old school on top gear and a couple of the old school ones won, there wasnt any clio's in that one though:(.

They also did a lot about how slow the golf gti had become. Both the mk3 gti and mk4 gti 2.0 were slower than the mk1 and mk2 gti versions.

Paul

Let be honest though, with the audience figures we're talking about with Top Gear...almost nobody would be interested. There are far more iconic cars that have had hot versions throughout the ages that would be at the front of the queue if they were ever going to do something like that (the Ford RS range, for a start)

The show that hardcore car nerds wants doesn't exist, and for a good reason, it would bomb hard.

clio trophy No56
Let be honest though, with the audience figures we're talking about with Top Gear...almost nobody would be interested. There are far more iconic cars that have had hot versions throughout the ages that would be at the front of the queue if they were ever going to do something like that (the Ford RS range, for a start)

The show that hardcore car nerds wants doesn't exist, and for a good reason, it would bomb hard.

I think you are wrong, was it not Top Gear that voted the Williams somewhere near 15th out of 100 top cars ever, yes it was. ;)
And was it not top gear that reviewed the V6 and the 182, yes it was. ;)
The V6, Trophy and Williams were limited run cars, iconic if you like? :rasp:
And im sure if they did the hot versions of the clio from throughout the ages just about everyone on every clio / Renault web site, or own a RS Clio would be watching, also anyone that is interested in hothatches would watch, just about every car on the road now is a hothatch of some sort. Remember what the title of this thread is and how many clio sites it is being talked about on.
Understand what your saying about the hardcore car nerds though, closest we get for that is Pistonheads and DR.
I didnt think for 1 min this would ever happen, would just be good if it did.

And im sure if they did the hot versions of the clio from throughout the ages just about everyone on every clio / Renault web site, or own a RS Clio would be watching, also anyone that is interested in hothatches would watch, just about every car on the road now is a hothatch of some sort. Remember what the title of this thread is and how many clio sites it is being talked about on.

7 million people watch Top Gear every week, the vast, vast majority are regular joes. Everyone in my office watches it, the majority of which own people carriers or don't even generally 'like' cars. I speak to a woman weekly about TG who didn't even notice when I replaced my black Dynamique with a blue 172 Cup!

If TG only appealed to the likes of 'us' it wouldn't survive.

Hey just a quick question which has probably been answered on here thousands of times, I watched the show and personally liked the 182 better I know on the 200 it has a different chassis than the standard sport 200, but whats the difference between the 182 and the 182 cup? The only differences I seem to read about are; Wheels, Tyres and Suspension which most people I know who have 182's have that pack on their car anyway, is there much difference in speed / 0-62 etc between the 182 with the Cup Pack and the 182 cup? Would have thought the 200 Cup would be a lot different just due to the chassis.

182cup & 172 racecar
Have you been sworn to secrecy then Tony? After all, you were there, can't you just come out and say if it was fair or not?

The 182 was faster at the first timing point, not often you see a car do that and then fall behind.
I have said before in one of the threads(maybe this one),there was four of us there,the others were having their cosworths filmed for a later program,so they were independent,we all did some timing and all got the same result 182 slightly quicker.
It doesn't bother me either way but when you find the script for the shoot in your car and its already a forgone conclusion that the 200 WILL be quicker it puts a bit of a cloud over the day.If I could scan it I would put it in here so everybody could see what a farce it all is.

182/ 172 Cup
I have said before in one of the threads(maybe this one),there was four of us there,the others were having their cosworths filmed for a later program,so they were independent,we all did some timing and all got the same result 182 slightly quicker.
It doesn't bother me either way but when you find the script for the shoot in your car and its already a forgone conclusion that the 200 WILL be quicker it puts a bit of a cloud over the day.If I could scan it I would put it in here so everybody could see what a farce it all is.

ooo, that makes me think even less of a show i didnt like anyway!!! scan that script!

PS 200
You should write into Top Gear - they'd love to hear about this (and you could probably get on their show and get it filmed properly - I'm sure the Top Gear guys would love a bit of 5th Gear / French car bashing ;)

182 Cup

Thanks for making it clear Tony. Shame about the test.

Got a better idea, take a photo with Camera phone :p I like the way on 5th gear that the 182 was ahead the first 2 corners then suddenly it lost half a second??

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You should write into Top Gear - they'd love to hear about this (and you could probably get on their show and get it filmed properly - I'm sure the Top Gear guys would love a bit of 5th Gear / French car bashing ;)
That's an idea!

GTD, Lupo
Unfortunatly you just have to look at the facts and figures.

200 Better brakes
Same 0-60 time
200 Better handling? Not sure on that as i have never driven a 182 but everyone says its tighter.

So why would it be slower if it does most things better than the 182? I own a 200 and its still slugish at the moment as its only got 1.8k on the clocks. Any ideas of the millage on the 200 used on the show?

Paul

Clio 172
Correct me if I am wrong but didnt Evo also say it was faster round a track or was that against the old 197?

I know it's a different track to what 5th gear use but surely it's faster maybe not by the margin 5th gear say though!

I just think that the Clio 182 looks a lot nicer than the new 200 anyway, the 200 is a big fat thing like the MK4 Golf when it came out, know someone with a Black one and it looks exactly the same as the standard Clio apart from the twin exhaust on the back (although not the Cup version). Heavier, lower BHP per ton so all around I would agree with the result being fixed, especially seeings as tho at the start the 182 was ahead a LOT then suddenly the 200 was ahead by about a car length on the next corner?..

this whole 200 v 182 is a shambles lol. I know what the 182 is capable of (after 4yrs of ownership). I know what 197 r27 is capable of after 8mths of ownership. I could probably write my owner script for the 200 for 5th Gear lol

Absolutely shabolic of 5th gear to do what they done!

182cup & 172 racecar
Why the f..k would I lie,I really dont give flying f..k what the result would have been.Either way the 200 was a great to drive and will more than likely be my next car so I am not a hater,'just the fact that it was all sorted out before we had even arrived for filming that gets me.

Oh the 200 had just under 2k(I felt sorry for it actually)
My cup 42k