ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 gearbox troubles

Clio 200
Ive been experiencing this problem for the last month. Basically I'm having problems getting it into gear
in the mornings, but it seems to only be after a cold or frosty night i.e. less than 3-4C.

All I can do is rock the gear stick left and right. It will eventually get into gear but only after multiple
attempts taking up to 30 seconds or so. Once in gear it seems to be fine and causes no further problems.

The car is just over two years old and done approximatly 14000 miles. It had it's first service towards the end of last year.

I have tried getting my local dealer to look at it but so far they haven't experienced the problem as the
weather keeps turning mild.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Gearbox on RS models are always difficult when its very cold- some are good some are pisch-

If it starts crunching - noticable first usually on the downshift then get it in to renault or speak to RUK

They have had loads of knackered 197 & 200 gearboxes / syncros to replace-

they are made out of wafer biscuits

S

Clio 200
Thanks, it's just strange that I didn't have any problems before, I've had the car from new and we had temps down to -10 or so last year. So far no crunching!

Last edited:
  Clio 200
Thanks, it's just strange that I didn't have any problems before, I've had the car from new and we had temps down to
-10 or so last year. So far no crunching!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
My old 2006 197 was fussy first thing, my current one seems ok.

Rusty Cup
Having spent a grand replacing a box outside of warranty i would advise speaking to renault about the problem you are having before the warranty expires.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Exact same problem as mine. Mine is actually with the dealer until thurs to see if they can find a fault.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
I actaully have a vid of mine. Is it like your problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Crunching on downshift is IIRC usually the start & upshift is when its getting worse
S

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Off to collect the car. They were unable to fault it from cold start so can't be fixed.

Clio 200
That's exactly what I had before Christmas. My car was playing up again this week but the earliest they can look at is next Wednesday. I just hope it's frosty next week! Have they checked anything on your car, or are they waiting to see the fault first hand?

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
They said they checked the slave cylinder and can't fault it as it only happens intermittently and there is no fluid loss. Clutch operation is also fine.

TBH I don't think they'll ever fix it and it'll probably just fail one day. I'm just going see what I can trade it in for.

Focus RS mk1
That's exactly what I had before Christmas. My car was playing up again this week but the earliest they can look at is next Wednesday. I just hope it's frosty next week! Have they checked anything on your car, or are they waiting to see the fault first hand?
do you reverse off your drive then have the problem of selecting 1st? My 197 also has this issue but only if i reverse first then try and select 1st, i have now started reversing onto my drive at night so i can just drive straight off in the morning, once warm the box is fine no problems at all.