ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 2, turbo or throttle bodies?

Looking to get a clio again after. Year of not having mine which I miss!
What would ou suggest between turbo and throttle bodies? Need your experiences!
which feels better driving?
power difference?
mpg difference?
thanks!

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Totally depends on the driver and what they like to be honest. Everyone is different. A turbo will give you more gains for the money.

big boost cup
there is about 3million of these threads on here. just have a search not one thing has been missed so all the info is here

Clio Cup by RIKUS
Well.

ITBS will give you an incredible racing sound and a good mileage out of your gearbox...

Turbo will give you high figures but the gear box will just snap fairly quickly with aggressive HP and torque.

Clio Cup by RIKUS
An alternative can be an ex stone automotive RS2 manifold that wit the right tunning, timing and map produced 206cv on my cup.....

No worried about mpg, just don't fancy a car with 10mpg when driving sensibly, around 20,25 would be happy with, an obviously less when you wind it up. Think that's reasonable?

Jc5 boxes aren't great to start with, so introducing another 100bhp/100lbsft you'll be increasing the risk of needing a gearbox refurb, plus you should ideally factor in a LSD to get the power down and possibly better brakes to stop you. However you'll have a car that goes like stink and can embarrass some very expensive machinery. Chip has a video of him passing an e46 M3 at Bedford like it's stationary.

Or go for itb's which are nearly as expensive (2-3k depending if you can do any of the work yourself). They sound incredible, but you'll gain nowhere near as much power as a decent turbo set up. I had itb's before and do miss them, the throttle response was very sharp and the roar was addictive, but were they worth the cost? Unsure.

Jc5 boxes aren't great to start with, so introducing another 100bhp/100lbsft you'll be increasing the risk of needing a gearbox refurb, plus you should ideally factor in a LSD to get the power down and possibly better brakes to stop you. However you'll have a car that goes like stink and can embarrass some very expensive machinery. Chip has a video of him passing an e46 M3 at Bedford like it's stationary.

Or go for itb's which are nearly as expensive (2-3k depending if you can do any of the work yourself). They sound incredible, but you'll gain nowhere near as much power as a decent turbo set up. I had itb's before and do miss them, the throttle response was very sharp and the roar was addictive, but were they worth the cost? Unsure.
cheers I'll take a look!
i was thinking getting cams, 421 or 428's? And pistons and rods to suit turbo or throttle bodies depending, any suggestions, I can do work myself but I wouldn't mind paying someone I be 100% sure with that sort of money

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
That's why I've not done the dephaser on the Trophy as I'd think the prospective buyer would want to fit cams.

If you're getting itb's, I'd go 421s or 438s, if turbo then don't bother with cams, put the money towards other bits which will need upgrading/refreshing.

Pistons should be fine, rods I'm unsure about, but will probably depend what power you are looking for? 230? 270? 300+?

Do you have a budget in mind?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've killed more boxes n/a than turbo on valver/Williams/172 boxes, I think revs kill them more than torque.

Turbo is way more power for the money. Even 250 bhp is hard work n/a from an f4r.