ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 197 lowered on springs?

Swift Sport
I've been getting quotes on H&R coilovers but I'm not prepared to pay £1000 to get my car lowered, especially as I don't want it 'slammed' lol

...So I'm considering an H&R spring kit, and was wondering if anyone has already had these fitted?

My main concern is how it will affect the ride, as I've heard many scary stories of how lowering a car on springs alone can destroy the ride and handling - and I don't want that! :p

Clio on SL 2118s
cant you get coilies for less than that though or do you definitely want h&r's?
other manafacturer coilies will be better than springs and prob about £500?

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Well, it won't be 'as good' as the coils - but then as you say it;s what are they, £150 vs £1000 heh.

IME the newer a car is, the better is takes springs alone heh. I mean like, the newer the model - as the other modern tech parts seem to be able to compensate for the lower/stiffer springs with the stock dampers etc. This might be b****cks, but it does seem to hold true in my experience. 1.4SR Nova, springs only, AWFUL, handled AND rode worse than stock. Late Corsa B SXi - better, handling possibly mildly improved, ride worse, but not unbearable. Pug 206 1.4, not bad at all, ride marginally worse - but not really much, it was still comfy, and handling was improved with the lessened roll :) So based on my, admittedly utterley proof-less and base-less idea, the virtually brand new Clio 3 chassis should be fine on springs alone!

Some people on here, or maybe on www.clio197.net have done it though, because I remember seeing pictures, so I reckon you wanna be seeking them out to learn their experiences.

Hope this helps!

Dan

R26
i had the H&R springs on my old 197 lowers it 30mm front and 40mm rear and i was over the moon with them.
handling was as good if not better less body roll, yes its going to be a harder ride but you will get that with any spring/coilovers
you could also go for the EIBACH which are 20mm front and 25mm rear but have not heard of any one fitting these
a good cheap coily kit http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2441

I'm having my H&R springs fitted this week - I'll let you know how they ride and handle. IMO you'll be fine with a new car.

Many people's experience is of fitting lowering springs to older / high mileage cars, where the combination of old shocks and harsh springs doesn't go down well! I had some Eibach springs fitted to my Clio 172 (when it was fairly new) and it was just fine; I've had bad experiences with older cars though.

I am sure if you pop and see k-tec they would let you have a spin in their car which is on h&r springs iirc

ValverInBits
IMHO a 197 is "made" by lowering (preferably on coilys) and 25mm spacers. Without they don't flick my bean at all ;)