ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 182 wont start

clio 182
started up fine then nipped bak inside came out n wont start just funny noise coming from behind the clocks n like a ticking noise when turn key over.any ideas?battery?

clio 182
its bin fine all day then just nipped bak in came out n nothin and tried to lock it but didnt do it straight away like there wasnt enough power

RS 182 CUP
Check for lose wires around alternator starter and battery, get your battery checked out too

02 Reg 172 FF
As above. Sounds like a clapped out battery, bad main earths (battery to gearbox/ battery to chassis) or main +ve connections to alternator, starter motor or fuse box.

Basically check your battery and alternator for charge. Then check both ends and sheathing of every main cable from the battery.

clio 182
will it be the battery if the central locking struggles to open the car like there isnt any juice in battery?cheers for the help guys

Now that is strang, I have just started having the same problems, after having my 182 now for nearly 3 years, never a problem starting, since yesterday it has been a bit tempremental starting some time with no responce apart from a funny clicking noise from with in the dash or air con, which might be the fuse board as it is just below. No other electrics are giving me any clues, all works fine.
Did you get yours sorted? what was the problem

Clio 197
Mine has just done the same thing. Started it to clear the ice off the screen etc. Noticed when it started, the engine was running for about 0.5 seconds before rev. counter or petrol gauge moved. Turned it off and went back inside. Went back out, started fine and parked it on the road. Next time I tried to start it it wouldn't work. Turns over about four times and then stops you cranking it over and you just get a clicking noise as already described. RAC came and couldn't fix it, but I had them fit a crankshaft sensor. Got it towed to local garage. Garage got it to work as follows:

1. Turn ignition on to the second click and leave the car door open so you don't get locked out.
2. Disconnect the battery. (8mm spanner on negative terminal)
3. Wait for 2 or 3 mins.
4. Re-Connect battery.
5. Turn the key off and remove.
6. Get out, shut the door and lock the car.
7. Un-lock the car and try to start it.

This worked first time. It seems to reset the immobiliser or something but cars going great now. Also, the changing of the crankshaft sensor seems to have stopped the "engine running before rev. counter situation".

Hope this works with yours ;)

P.S you might want to make sure the battery's well charged if you've been trying to start it loads of times.

Arctic Blue Clio 182
Yea sorry I'm having this problem atm. Turned of my 182 at my friends house then when to start it and nothing but clicking. Tired jump starting it a few times and eventually got it started. Drove home to my house, around 10 miles. Turned of car and put my battery charger on. When to start the car and nothing. Just the odd click. When and got new battery and now the immobiliser light just stays on red. Any one any ideas. Cars turning over but the light stays solid red

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Arctic Blue Clio 182
How do I check the fuses under the bonnet? Most of them are solid and not see through? Will try check the gearbox earth etc tomorrow to see if it does anything. Thanks

Arctic Blue Clio 182
Rite my mechanic seems to think that the ecu or uch is dead after trying everything and lookin for corroded wires and bad earth's. If I buy second hand clio 182 key, decoder ring, uch, and ecu will the work with my car? I see there is possibly a few different brands of ecus and uch on ebay but will any of them work as long as there from a 182?

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
I had this problem replaced the Ecu and uch and its been fine since, £70 for the kit and couple of hours fitting it

Arctic Blue Clio 182
Sounds good. Was it hard to swap all over or just a few hours work? Just want to check that any 182 ecu and uch will work as long as it's from the one donor car

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
Ecu is easy to swap. Uch is abit fiddly as its tooked away under th glove box, took me about 3 hours I think