ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 under powered

197was/second 182is
Hi! It seems like my clio is down on power little bit, mainly on high rpm. What can be wrong with it and what to check first?

Maybe you know any cheap dyno in south east?
Thanks!

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
To check the timing you need the crank pin and horse shoe. Lock engine at TDC and then see if the horse shoe slots in the cam profiles on the gearbox end. if it slots in with ease then it's timed up properly if they are off and it doesn't then obviously timing is out.

182 ff
To check the timing you need the crank pin and horse shoe. Lock engine at TDC and then see if the horse shoe slots in the cam profiles on the gearbox end. if it slots in with ease then it's timed up properly if they are off and it doesn't then obviously timing is out.
that sounds like a 2 minute job.. ha so really it cant be checked..unless you take the front of the car off,loads of other things and buy the Renault timing tools..

197was/second 182is
Hmmm. Maybe I'm just panicking... My last car was evo vi, so probably thats why it seems slow.

I recently bought it, cambelt was changed last summer by previous owner... Hopefully...

I think I have to go on dyno to make sure everything is as it should.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Hmmm. Maybe I'm just panicking... My last car was evo vi, so probably thats why it seems slow.

I recently bought it, cambelt was changed last summer by previous owner... Hopefully...

I think I have to go on dyno to make sure everything is as it should.

That's reassuring.

These cars aren't fast in a straight line and make 165-175bhp on rolling roads (unless you go to a dodgy dyno), just so you don't panic if you see a low number.

Clio.
There's an easier way to see if the cam timing is out, WITHOUT using timing tools and dismantling the car.
Only problem is you will need to either borrow a Renault Clip machine or find a way of accurate manifold pressure measurement.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
where in the south east are you?
I can point you at a RR and give you my figures for comparison if needed.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Get on a cheap rolling road day and see what it makes, if you make in the 170's (ish) at the fly, 140's (ish) at the wheels then it's ok.
If you make 140 at the fly and 100 or so at the wheels then the cambelt is probably out.

If the previous owner did a DIY cambelt job, or had some random backstreet garage do it then there's a good chance the timing is off.
Even using non-genuine timing tools when doing the cambelt can put the timing out, it's that easy to muck it up.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Coming from an automatic 1.6 Corolla, my first RenaultSport Clio felt like a rocket ship and went round corners like it was on rails.

3 years later, coming from a 300+HP impreza, my second RenaultSport Clio felt like a milkfloat.

It didn't move at all when you accelerated at any speed and went round corners like a motorbike with a puncture.

I'd bet it is all as it should be - but it's all relative to what you're used to .. Where are you based ?

197was/second 182is
where in the south east are you?
I can point you at a RR and give you my figures for comparison if needed.
I'm from Chatham, kent

Recently I also changed spark plugs (all were not tightened up correctly) and now I can see big improvement.... But anyway, I will be looking for rolling road day, or reasonable cheap power run. Thanks for replies!

Last edited:
  MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
KAP just on the ashford side of Canterbury have a rolling road, got mine done there