ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 suspension advice

2005 Clio 182
My car is on a 2005 plate and has now done 57,000 miles and i want to replace my shocks and get eibach sportlines to replace springs and slighty uprate my handling.
I am going to renault tomorrow to order some and then a thought just crossed my mind, would 172 cup shocks be better than standard 182 ones.
am i wrong in thinking its only the 182 cup with different hub spacing or does that apply to the 172 cup to.
advice wanted before tomorrow morning please guys thanks.

500 Twinair
I believe the 172's including the 182 has all the same strut measurement, barring the 182 cup/cup packs.
If you have a 182 without cup suspension, why don't you go for coilovers, much more choice than the 182 cup, and at
Better prices.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
182 cup/trophy has 60mm spacing. All other variants (172-182 non cupped) are 54mm

Springs are interchangeable though

2005 Clio 182
ok thanks for the replies guys.
and i cant really afford to spend 500 pound or more on coilovers atm.
how much are koni's because renault only charge 59 for front shocks and 56 rear ?
also are 172 cup struts firmer than non cup 182 struts ?

225 Cup & Williams
172 cup shocks are stiffer yes. I fitted cup shocks all round with sportline springs on my ph1 172 at the weekend and the handling is excellent.

2005 Clio 182
i was told it would make my car handle worst as of the extra weight of my engine bay (aircon)

225 Cup & Williams
Lol ffs how do ktec work that one out eh? One of the best mods I've done to my car for the price only 186 quid from wests Renault on here.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
so the 172 dampers are firmer? if that a yes i cant see in any way how it would effect the handling in a bad way.
besides the extra weight from aircon is no more than an extra passenger. if ktec say so then i could be all completely wrong but from my understanding if the shocks are firmer then that shouldnt be a problem atall

2005 Clio 182
i think he was talkin about the dampening or summin i dont know lol sayin how they were designed for a much lighter car and about the way the shocks work they would sag from the weight of the engine bay lol .

dont shoot the messenger just what i was told

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
either way it doesnt really matter as you bought the ones that where made for the car anyway :) was probably the best choice as the 172 cup shocks wouldnt make a noticable difference i doubt.

225 Cup & Williams
either way it doesnt really matter as you bought the ones that where made for the car anyway :) was probably the best choice as the 172 cup shocks wouldnt make a noticable difference i doubt.

They made a very noticable difference on my 172.