ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 poor windscreen washers

Clio 182
The windscreen washers seem to be really poor on my clio, they barely manage to squirt fluid onto the screen and when they actually do it reaches a couple of inches into the screen, any ideas? Thanks

dCi 100
Poke a needle through the holes in the jets and then try them again. If that doesn't work, take them out and sit them in some boiling water for a few minutes.

Clio Dci
I would imagine it's the washer pump, there known for being awful. Do a search and I'm sure loads will come up to help you

Clio 182
Have poked a hole through the jets which made no difference, pipes also look okay, do the pumps get gummed up if so is it possible to clean them or is it a new pump job. Thanks for the replies

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Mine also do this. Pump sounds Tired. rear windscreen is fine, pump sounds healthy. Front not so much.

Anyone know where the pump is ?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Remove the washer pipe where it connects to the bonnet at the right hinge. If it pulsates water and is weak you'll know its the pump.

Relatively straight forward to change - wipers off, scuttle, wiper motor off and then you can remove the bottle:

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/guide-washer-pump-bottle-removal.543810/

Lots of people seem to recommend the ECP version but I've had two of them so far and straight away the valve in them hasn't worked properly. The internal valve seems to stick until the internal pressure eventually drops. If you wash the front, back then front again it normally gets stuck in one direction no matter what you select. (hope that makes sense).

E.g. when the ECP was on my headlights it would only squirt one of them twice.

I'd seriously recommend a used OEM one (new is very expensive...)

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
There are 2 pumps. They are circa £10 each. I would replace the pair as if one has gone, the other may fail soon. Plus...easier to replace the pair in one go. The one bit I missed first time was mounting the wiper unit on the point on the bulkhead. I didn't realise first thing but then it started knocking. For the sake of £20 and an hour of your time, its well worth it.

Phase 1 Clio 172
This may/may not help as Ph1 only has 1 pump but there's a repair guide on here.
Involves dismantling pump and cutting thin slice of rubber off a plunger.
Real easy to do and works brilliantly on a pump u can hear running but doesn't pump water.
May be worth a look...

Clio 182
Thanks for the replies i have removed the pipe as mentioned and water comes out but not under any real pressure. Where is best to buy the pumps from? Thanks

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I put some dental cleaning tablets in mine when they wouldn't work at all and has improved it no end.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
All I'd say is make sure you test it before putting it all back together.

Make sure when you:

1) spray front
2) spray back

& repeat a few times it actually works correctly. As I said before, both my Euro Car Parts pumps would often get stuck in one direction if used more than once in a short space of time.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
All I'd say is make sure you test it before putting it all back together.

Make sure when you:

1) spray front
2) spray back

& repeat a few times it actually works correctly. As I said before, both my Euro Car Parts pumps would often get stuck in one direction if used more than once in a short space of time.
Also test it with lights on to see if the headlight washers work as well.

CLIO 182
Ntlparts on eBay. It's coming up as that for delivery for me. I know I'm in Northern Ireland but by feck it's only a couple of hundred miles across the water. Not the Pacific ocean lol