ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 - 1 valve snapped 40km after new head replacement.

Renault Clio 182
Good afternoon, Firstly id like to say hello as this is my first post on here.
I have a Renault Clio 182 2004. back in 2013 the aux belt snapped and took the cambelt with it, the car at the time belonged to my mother and she paid to have it all repaired but run out of money before getting the car back on the road. ( il note that i live in spain so things over here are a little more costly than in the UK )

Anyway i took over the project a month ago and paid for the remaining things to go on, New tyres, Mot etc.

The car passed the MOT on the 9th of march, and about 20 mins later a valve snapped and luckily hasnt done any damage to the piston. BUT and heres the big BUT the garage that reconditioned the head originally said that the timing wasnt correct.. However i drove around 40km ( 20 miles ) before this issue.

I will note that the car struggled to gain power and felt very empty anywhere over 2500rpm.

The timing was done in my own family garage with the correct tools and autodata 2015.
Both aux belt and cam belt were fine and hadnt skipped a tooth or anything.

Any ideas? Could it genuinley have been the timing even though the cam belt was still in place and not jumped?
im really lost and a bit annoyed that my car did literally 20 miles before 1 valve snapped and the other 8 appear to have touched the pistons but not done any damage.

If anybody could maybe point me in the right direction as you can probably tell by my description of it. Im not a mechanic and im just trying to seek information.

Thank you
Jack

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
If the timings out then I'd think that'd not a good idea to drive on it!?!?
Also, if you didn't replace tensioners then....................

Renault Clio 182
The timing was correct when it was put back together, the car ran fine for days of testing in the garage. this is just what info i got given from the engine guys who did the repair work originally. all the tensioners were replaced too, this is why im scratching my head a bit as the work was done properly and something stupid has gone wrong instantly. Ill keep you updated on the car and see what comes of it. If anyone else has any ideas then feel free to throw em over :)

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
not sure on the latest version of autodata, but previous versions have been incorrect on the timing of these.

Renault Clio 182
Ok, this might be a point in the right direction. Ill go to renault this afternoon and see if i can get some more info on it. Thank you :)