ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 phase 1 turbo

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Saw your video last night chip, so impressed with the turbo looks like so much fun. Miles more fun than a planted Evo on the track. Did you have any tyres left after the run at Silverstone?

Hope to see it on the 14th. Thats if you have worked out which car to take lol

I only did the last session on the road tyres (thats the video'd one), before that I was on A048 and the track was dry so it wasnt really spinning up much unless you really did something silly with planting the throttle too much, so the tyres were fine.

Hopefully will be dry enough for the A048 at combe.

If the turbo is still working on the 14th I will bring it so I can take people out in it, its a riot, lol

PB Clio 172
I only did the last session on the road tyres (thats the video'd one), before that I was on A048 and the track was dry so it wasnt really spinning up much unless you really did something silly with planting the throttle too much, so the tyres were fine.

Hopefully will be dry enough for the A048 at combe.

If the turbo is still working on the 14th I will bring it so I can take people out in it, its a riot, lol

Having owned 2 5 turbo's I will be loving this. Something about a turbo in a little french car :p bring it on !!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If it doesnt make this one, I will bring it out once its back on the road after the engine freshen up in a few months :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Picture from the trax website of me overtaking a fiat 500 the other day, TBH its a far better picture of his car than mine, but still thought I would post it as its all I have, lol

TRAX_2012_110.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
saw this at trax mate, looks clean as!

Thanks mate, I will pass that comment onto my personal detailer / girlfriend, lol

and goes well! :)

Yeah, its great fun to drive, makes really good progress.

If you ever spot an empty passenger seat at a trackday as im heading out on track feel free to jump in, I enjoy showing the car off anyway :)

2005 Clio DCi 3dr
Chip, its Dan Johnson aka dan_5door_johnson from the roybacer days!

Good to see the Nova is still going, does it still have the Mk3 golf headlights?!

Interested to read more on the clio, good work mate hope you're well!

Maybe get to meet up at one of the cliosport meets in the near future

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hello mate, yes I saw your hello post the other day.

Yeah still got the nova and its still got working but ugly headlights, I did consider swapping back to nova ones for cosmetic reasons a couple of times but TBH down the lanes of somerset the golf ones are a serious asset so have stayed :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Copy of my post from the media section just to keep it all in this thread too:

Video of the phase 1 turbo at combe last weekend:

th_turbo-clio-combe-forge.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It sure does pick up well! Was entertaining seeing you zip past the lot of us too, sounds great.

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed the passenger ride.

Think thats probably its last outing now before the rebuild though, this engine although it still goes very well has completely had it now after all the abuse and boost, its done really well its deffo due a refresh now!

RS172
What an impressive car, takes no time at all to get going and stops just as quick. It's got plenty of torque spinning in first and second!! Had me grinning from ear to ear, thanks for the passenger ride chip :)

PB Clio 172
what a car !!

thanks for the ride chip it was epic ! its hard to put into words how it feels having your neck thrown back but its all good fun. Think it spun in 1st, 2nd and third ! Opened up my eyes this car has and no wonder you overtook Evo's and what not at Silverstone !

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
what a car !!

thanks for the ride chip it was epic ! its hard to put into words how it feels having your neck thrown back but its all good fun. Think it spun in 1st, 2nd and third ! Opened up my eyes this car has and no wonder you overtook Evo's and what not at Silverstone !

Glad you enjoyed it mate, on a hot summers day it has just about enough grip that it barely struggles at all for grip in 2nd and is faultless in 3rd, but cold and/or damp roads obvioulsy makes it a lot worse grip wise.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What an impressive car, takes no time at all to get going and stops just as quick. It's got plenty of torque spinning in first and second!! Had me grinning from ear to ear, thanks for the passenger ride chip :)

Was 2nd and third I was booting it in mainly when you were in it, upto about 100mph (so good job we were on a private road, lol)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Taking this off the road now so I can pull the engine out and freshen it up. Not sure if first trackday next year for it will be Bedford in February or Combe in April.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
How grippy are the a048's in comparison to the r888's chip? As in a dry track and a damp track? I know the r888's aren't to bad on a damp track so I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
How grippy are the a048's in comparison to the r888's chip? As in a dry track and a damp track? I know the r888's aren't to bad on a damp track so I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

I've not used the a048 a lot in the wet but when I have they are roughly comparable to the 888 i.e pretty good till you hit standing water.

biggest difference is they don't go off as quick when they are quite worn down in the dry. 888 when down to the last couple mm seem to overheat in a few laps and go slimey feeling. A048 do so a lot less.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I've not used the a048 a lot in the wet but when I have they are roughly comparable to the 888 i.e pretty good till you hit standing water.

biggest difference is they don't go off as quick when they are quite worn down in the dry. 888 when down to the last couple mm seem to overheat in a few laps and go slimey feeling. A048 do so a lot less.

Cheers chip, just what I was after! Thanking you!

clio rs172 meg rs250
dammit how do you delete a post, i tried replying to a text message whilst browsing the forum, hence this post, sorry lads...:eek:

Last edited:
  172 cup, Impreza P1
Agree with you chip about the A048's to the r888's. I found the 888's to go off very quickly compared to the a048's so I just stick with them now and I've got a good supply of used ones so its a win win.

Whats the plans with the engine fresh up?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Agree with you chip about the A048's to the r888's. I found the 888's to go off very quickly compared to the a048's so I just stick with them now and I've got a good supply of used ones so its a win win.

Whats the plans with the engine fresh up?

I want to fit supertech valves and ARP rod bolts as a bare minimum to upgrade it, but I might also go forged while I am at it, undecided at the moment as im not actually looking for anymore power, its quick enough as it is and the gearbox is fragile on these cars.
And Ive ordered a quaiffe diff, which will strain the box even further.

In addition to the upgraded bits as a bare minimum I need to either replace the block with a less worn out one and some lower miles 2ndhand pistons, or rebore the existing one and fit oversize pistons.

If I can find some decent pistons for the right money I will go forged probably "just because" even though I dont really think its required at my power level.

Turbo etc will stay the same and im not planning on running anymore boost.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Is it possible to get oe cr forged pistons then?
wouldn't a hone and fresh rings be adequate enough?

That's what i did with my current build and it doesn't consume oil or anything. Compression was 180-190 psi across all 4 after 500km or so... However the bottom end wasn't worn down though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is it possible to get oe cr forged pistons then?
wouldn't a hone and fresh rings be adequate enough?

That's what i did with my current build and it doesn't consume oil or anything. Compression was 180-190 psi across all 4 after 500km or so... However the bottom end wasn't worn down though.

As this one was tired when it was first built (mike deliberately used a well worn bottom end as he wanted to test it would be ok for customer cars which might also be worn) and has been properly hammered since, it's past that now IMHO. Would sooner do properly.

Cant find standard cr 172 forged pistons advertised but going to ask about.

big boost cup
As this one was tired when it was first built (mike deliberately used a well worn bottom end as he wanted to test it would be ok for customer cars which might also be worn) and has been properly hammered since, it's past that now IMHO. Would sooner do properly.

Cant find standard cr 172 forged pistons advertised but going to ask about.

Bit of a long shot but hi comp pistons and thicker had gasket? could be mega wrong just a thought i had

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Bit of a long shot but hi comp pistons and thicker had gasket? could be mega wrong just a thought i had

Yes that would work, have already considered a set of 11.8 and an mwmsport gasket (mike can do me anything upto 3mm) but not great for squish done that way so I am keen to avoid it really.

skimming a set of 11.8 is another option, but then the crown is weakened Etc which negates the point of going forged.

Ph2 172 cup & 320d
What about fitting f7r low comps, thinnest gasket and head skim? Not going to be anywhere near 11s but maybe around 9.5-10?

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Considering its a temporary fun car i would just buy a low mileage f4r, transplant the head and get everything back together and enjoy it! Put the time and money into the Mk1/Nova/cossie/10 more cars :p

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What about fitting f7r low comps, thinnest gasket and head skim? Not going to be anywhere near 11s but maybe around 9.5-10?

Its 9:1 I want mate, but i am running a 197 head that has bigger chambers.

I need to get compression chamber volumes for the 197 head compared to a 225 head really as I might find forged 9:1 f4rt are suitable.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Considering its a temporary fun car i would just buy a low mileage f4r, transplant the head and get everything back together and enjoy it! Put the time and money into the Mk1/Nova/cossie/10 more cars :p

Time to for stuff like taking an engine in and out I'm relatively short on, time to build an engine I have lots of. (Can do that at a mates place when working away from home) so i would sooner build one good engine than keep having to fit standard ones and miss a trackday if they fail etc.

plus I've already bought the super techs and ordered a diff. And more importantly I want to harass porkie and big ash in their big spec n/a cars.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Lol, as for straight line speed i reckon it wouldn't be too hard.

I compared f7r, f4r and f4rT piston next to eachother and judging by the measurements and comparing oe cr's the chamber volumes of the 3 are pretty much the same. The reasona 197 head has more volume is the 197 engine uses domed pistons..

I was tempted by this car when it sold the first time, but was dubious as I thought it could end up costly. Reading this thread it seemed pretty reliable.

How's it fair up against the itb`d n/a clios on track?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I was tempted by this car when it sold the first time, but was dubious as I thought it could end up costly. Reading this thread it seemed pretty reliable.

How's it fair up against the itb`d n/a clios on track?

Until I started getting silly with the boost is was very reliable mate. All that lad that had it between me and jack did was literally change the oil once and drive it loads. No problems at all.

It's way quicker in a straightline than most itb clios but does obviously depend how light they are as this still has carpets and back seats and a radio etc, its a fast road car not a race car.
that's what I like about it versus the mk1, this is SO much more pleasant for a 3 hour drive to a trackday and then just as quick round a track when I arrive.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol, as for straight line speed i reckon it wouldn't be too hard.

I compared f7r, f4r and f4rT piston next to eachother and judging by the measurements and comparing oe cr's the chamber volumes of the 3 are pretty much the same. The reasona 197 head has more volume is the 197 engine uses domed pistons..

Annoyingly your spreadsheet seems to miss the most important figure. Piston dish volume?