ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 or 182? help is needed

cly

clio sport
i have a clio sport made december 03, totaly standard no visible exhausts. the garage said it was a 182 but now im lookin in to clio's alot more im not convinced

can any one help please?

Titanium 182
Yup 182's have double exhausts sticking out the rear bumper, your describing a 172.

Bit crappy really as 182's go for more than 172's but as you didn't know just hope you didn't pay a 182 price for it.

cly

clio sport
thanks confirmed what i suspected. not too happy will need to go back to that garage. any idea on the value of a 53 plate 172 with 39k on the clock?

thanks for the quick response its been buggin me :)

R27, Deep Black
Hey claire! I was also just thinking, the inside of your clio has a pattern on the dash trimmings? I think i red over in the renaultsport forums that the 182s just have a solid coloured trimming like the campus sport for example?

Would i be correct on saying this?

Liambo.

Roadster Coupe
Hey claire! I was also just thinking, the inside of your clio has a pattern on the dash trimmings? I think i red over in the renaultsport forums that the 182s just have a solid coloured trimming like the campus sport for example?

Would i be correct on saying this?

Liambo.

Think your right. I had a 172 im sure the dash inserts were a silver carbon effect. My 182 is just plain silver. i've coded it now anyways. as well as the exhuast which is a dead give away, the 182 steering wheel also has crusie control buttons if its a normal 182 not a cup.

cly

clio sport
F**ker well i better get back to that garage to make a major complaint then! he sold it to me as a 182. Liam you could have said earlier.... alot earlier! lol. one other thing do the reg documents state wheather its a 182 or 172? i havent recieved these yet

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
the garage said it was a 182

if you got it from a garage then they have broken the law buy selling you a 172 as a 182. Its can be dangerous (probably not in this case) if products are miss sold, so there are laws protecting you (the buyer). more info in the buying guide on autotrader.

Do you have a copy of the origional adverisment or can you get a copy, ie is it still in autotrader or similar, as this will help you alot.

Then get the exact model of the car identified, think you can probably go to a renault dealer and explain. take your VIN number and number plate details with you(or the car), then they can tell you exactly what it is.

If possible find the value of the car. possibly look on autotrader again at similar spec cars or find a dealer similar to where you got it and ask what they would have sold the car for. if it is less than what you paid then go back to where you got the car with this infomation and you will have a strong case.

you may have to be prepared to go to court but if its for alot of money it will be worth it, but its important you have proof of the garage saying it is a 182.

MORE important still, is that you enjoy the car, 172 or 182, they are great fun. only had mine a month and i love every second im in it.

Will

also make sure you are insured correctly

A ANIMAL
F**ker well i better get back to that garage to make a major complaint then! he sold it to me as a 182. Liam you could have said earlier.... alot earlier! lol. one other thing do the reg documents state wheather its a 182 or 172? i havent recieved these yet

They will state it , yes. Whaich garage was it and what did you pay?

No offence but you should have done a little research 1st. Live and learn though - let us know how you get on

R27, Deep Black
Think your right. I had a 172 im sure the dash inserts were a silver carbon effect. My 182 is just plain silver. i've coded it now anyways. as well as the exhuast which is a dead give away, the 182 steering wheel also has crusie control buttons if its a normal 182 not a cup.

Well Claires car (cly) is just a normal '182' but doesnt have the cruise control? anything else apart from the trim and the cruise control that might be a give away? We did a hpi check and nothing came out of it.

Liambo

Monaco 172 (02)
Depending what you paid for it? May be worth just asking for a few hundred quid off rather than handing it back?

Assuming your happy with a 172

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-

I dont think they will, as they both have the same engine size-

Its really simple though- as described the 182 has the twin exhaust with semi circular cuts in the rear bumper - the 172 has a back box & exhaust positioned to the left-
The standard 172 comes with 5 spoke Alloys, the Standard 182 comes with multispoke alloys in silver or graphite grey-

182's were never registered in Dec 03- IIRC the first date of registration would be 01.04.04 ( the new 04 plate)

Check the owners pack that comes with it- it should have details in there-

If its black the colour is pearl black rather than Black gold-

hope this helps
S

cly

clio sport
thanks, yeh i realsie i should have checked but this was what i thought was a reliable garage and have been in buisness for over 20 years. i have a recipt that states it was a clio sport 182 i was sold. so proving he told me it was 182 is not a problem and im sure the garage will not want hassel but you never know.

yes wheather its a 182 or 172 i love it, great fun to drive

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Whats is your Location?? im sure someone here who will be local to you can assist-

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Post a picture of it there are guys that can probably tell you exactly what it is just looking at it. plus type the number plate into an insurance website, like confused, or ring renault and ask?

Monaco 172 (02)
How much did you pay mate if thats not too cheeky?!?!
If is been priced as a 182 then obviously you should ask for money back. But if its priced as a 172 and you like the car it may not be worth all the hassle,

R27, Deep Black
I dont think they will, as they both have the same engine size-

Its really simple though- as described the 182 has the twin exhaust with semi circular cuts in the rear bumper - the 172 has a back box & exhaust positioned to the left-
The standard 172 comes with 5 spoke Alloys, the Standard 182 comes with multispoke alloys in silver or graphite grey-

182's were never registered in Dec 03- IIRC the first date of registration would be 01.04.04 ( the new 04 plate)

Check the owners pack that comes with it- it should have details in there-

If its black the colour is pearl black rather than Black gold-

hope this helps
S

Stating back to the alloys... it has the same alloys that the 06-onwards clio campus sport range has on but a inch bigger, and i thought that they only came with the 172's, is that correct or am i just talkin sh*t?

lol.

Its not black its the dark blue? can't remember the name of the colour.

Liambo.

cly

clio sport
im in aberdeen.

right i have phoned renault they said " cant find your car using the number plate" so i gave them the chassie number they say this car was assigned to cyprus but never went so renualt cannot tell me what is is. not much use.

insurance - well some say its a 182 and so say is a 172. not any use either.

starting to wish i dnt buy this car!

A ANIMAL
This blue?

10165.jpg

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Stating back to the alloys... it has the same alloys that the 06-onwards clio campus sport range has on but a inch bigger, and i thought that they only came with the 172's, is that correct or am i just talkin sh*t?

lol.

Its not black its the dark blue? can't remember the name of the colour.

Liambo.

I havent much knowledge of those but again IIRC the DCI has 5 & Campus has 5 spoke alloys 15 inch, the 172 5 spoke 16 inch-
DCI alloys
http://bristol.gumtree.com/posting_...-988f72f11a805ee9bbc70a11da020e66.__big__.jpg
172 alloys
http://images.pistonheads.com/aimg/892/892217-1t.jpg

Colour Blue:

172 is Monacco Blue- 182 is Artic Blue
S

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
take it back...sounds really dodgy, might be worth calling trading standards to see where you stand before you go back.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
04 - Dynamique's came with the 5 spoke in 15" same design as the 172's 16".

Put up a couple of pics?

Monaco 172 (02)
Bottom line its been over priced and sold as something it isnt.
Contact trading standards get some legal info and go back to the garage once you know where you legally stand!

I'd also look to HPI it for £3 through a text check. Doesn't sound quite right.

Good luck with the outcome!

Roadster Coupe
Can you not see if its got a twin exhaust! or you blind? it either has no exhaust showing or its got a twin pipe showing. :rasp:

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I havent much knowledge of those but again IIRC the DCI has 5 & Campus has 5 spoke alloys 15 inch, the 172 5 spoke 16 inch-
DCI alloys
http://bristol.gumtree.com/posting_i...66.__big__.jpg
172 alloys
http://images.pistonheads.com/aimg/892/892217-1t.jpg

yes has these wheels

Answer these Questions & I will get you a Price- retail price & trade-

How many Keys
How Many Owners excluding you-
Colour- M.Blue-
Car Condition-
Condition of alloys
Service History- Renault or Other-
Has it had Cambelt & Auxillary belt changed?
Registration- 03...????
Miles

Steve

Peddled device
Is there a link to an advert on the web that you could show us....or just a few pictures.

We're here to help 24-7 :)

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I would be less worried bout what it is and if you have been over charged because you can't really use it if you don't know what car to insure it as? Sorry to be harsh but the insurance companies won't be nice about it if it comes to a claim.

Was just doin some checking and as far as i can see you have 14 days to take it back. it isn't quite that simple and you have to stop driving it imediatly. plus as i said before it may involve going to court! Will see if i can send you a link