ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 non-renault final drive (cwp)

172 rag
After finishing a total suspension/bushes/track rods_ends refresh on my cup I am thinking of getting a final drive in an attempt to (shorten) the gearing of my 172.
The car is my everyday car not used on track but soon will be used for night events.
I find the current final drive very long for my liking and for what I want. Sooo
I know the M factory option which is very tempting due to cost but 5.25 cwp is maybe too much I am afraid for the chocolate gearbox.
Apart from the gripper oprion (slip diff + cwp) has anyone tried other solutions like the Bacci Romano, BPS and the rest of the French solutions?
I would be more than happy with a final drive on the std diff of around 4.5

Open to suggestions :)

172 Cup
Hi George, hows the car coming along, whens your next event? Ive kept the standard fd on mine.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Change the 5th gear for the megane one mate. Gives a bit more acceleration in 5th.
How do these alternative fd's attach to the diff? I'm assuming your on a lsd already?

172 Cup
Change the 5th gear for the megane one mate. Gives a bit more acceleration in 5th.
How do these alternative fd's attach to the diff? I'm assuming your on a lsd already?
Do you know how much the megane gear costs, and best place to get one. Something i may do. Ta.

172 rag
The car is totally std just fresh. I am a bit puzzled at the moment because after the refresh I was expecting a more 106 feeling which didnt happen.
It is very capable and good to drive but I feel something is missing. I am thinking to ditch the rainsport 3 for something with harder sidewalls to see it will improve but if not something somewhere is wrong.
The long gearing though is doing my nerves and spoils the fun. My ideal gearing would be of an early 197 if the it could (which can't) fit.
I thought about the different 5th but by the time you are in 5th you are already:monkey:
BPS and Bacci can be put in a std diff. I assume the same will be with M factory

172 rag
In the BPS site there are 2 options for couple conique (final drive) the first one is boulonner and the other is emmencher which if I am not mistaken and my french are not that rusty is the past tense of emmancher which means join, conjoin etc.
I ve been told also by rally competitors that they have used Bacci cwp without lsd.

I am planning to send later today to the above emails and also to M Factory

If I am wrong on the above, Gripper diff+cwp is the only logical option I think.

172 Cup
In the BPS site there are 2 options for couple conique (final drive) the first one is boulonner and the other is emmencher which if I am not mistaken and my french are not that rusty is the past tense of emmancher which means join, conjoin etc.
I ve been told also by rally competitors that they have used Bacci cwp without lsd.

I am planning to send later today to the above emails and also to M Factory

If I am wrong on the above, Gripper diff+cwp is the only logical option I think.

I emailed mfactory a while ago and they confirmed the final drive they offer will fit the standard diff.

172 rag
Great news now we can email them and ask how many orders they need to get into production a cpw around 4.5 :wink:

@ed55j It still doesn't allow me to send you pm

Last edited:
  172 Cup
I renewed my membership today, may be something to do with that?
My next event is the winter challenge 11th april

106GTI / NovaC20LET
The car is totally std just fresh. I am a bit puzzled at the moment because after the refresh I was expecting a more 106 feeling which didnt happen.
It is very capable and good to drive but I feel something is missing. I am thinking to ditch the rainsport 3 for something with harder sidewalls to see it will improve but if not something somewhere is wrong.
The long gearing though is doing my nerves and spoils the fun. My ideal gearing would be of an early 197 if the it could (which can't) fit.
I thought about the different 5th but by the time you are in 5th you are already:monkey:
BPS and Bacci can be put in a std diff. I assume the same will be with M factory
You will never get it to handle like a 106 I'm afraid. But a Whiteline and some 15 inch wheels is a very good step in that direction.

172 rag
Just a quick update. Bacci Romano can provide final drives for use with the standard diff. All they need is at the time of order to specify it, so that they can provide a pressed crown. :)
RD172 (12/63)
RD072 (12/59)
RD173 (12/58)
RD073 (12/56)
RD074 (13/57)