ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1*2 and EP3 CTR

Fiesta ST Stage 3
As a lot ofpeople seem to be looking / buying EP3 at the moment I thought that I wouldjust share my views on this as this may help people out .

I have just sold my Civic Type R (EP3) that I have had for just over a year anda half and have replaced it with a PH 2 172 .

First of the steering feel of the EP3 is a big debate and TBH it never reallybothered me that much but after driving the 172 you can really feel the differencein terms of feel and the Clio is much better for it .

The Civic got around 29-30 MPG on my 40 mile trip to work if driven normallyand the Clio is reading 41-42 MPG on the computer .

Build quality of the CTR was good but did have a few rattles and more than theClio if I’m honest but everything worked and nothing broke on it in the 18months I had it ( not a lot of kit to break mind )

Performance wise there is nothing in it . The CTR seems to pull better at hispeeds but the Clio has more low down slug . Both handle well but the Clio ismore checkable and the CTR is more stable on sweeping bends at speed . Theengine and gear box in the CTR are much the better unit not to say the Clio isbad just not as good as the Civic

Tuning the CTR has so many parts and add ons and with some breathing mods 240BHP is quite easy for around £ 1200 . The Clio is how it is out of the box andbar some breaks and suspension bits there is no point spending money on it .

Insurance is more or less the same for both cars and so is tax .

Toys on the CTR is limited to air con so the Clio with its Xeons CC , autolights wipers and ESP has much the better kit .

To sum up both great cars and both are an entertaining drive and i would behappy with either of them . The Clio is by far the better valiu for money butthe Honda has the better drive train .

Just all my thoughts for people who are looking .

Alan

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Totally agree, the only thing I really liked on the CTR was the gearbox and engine the rest of it I wasn't too bothered. Clio is far better value for money overall and far more equipment.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The driving position is much better in the CTR. But the interior is a nicer place to be in the Clio's imo.

Both very good cars. I'm tempted to try another CTR for some reason but i'll probably end up in a 182. :)

LY R26
Love CTR's rifle bolt precision gear change. :)

I've owned 3 x Clio sports, 3 x CTR's.

Both great hatches.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Very good write up, Again both great cars the CTR does have the best driving position ever

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Just seen that it has stuck all the words together :eek:

Revised below

As a lot of people seem to be looking / buying EP3 at the moment I thought that I wouldjust share my views on this as this may help people out .

I have just sold my Civic Type R (EP3) that I have had for just over a year anda half and have replaced it with a PH 2 172 .

First of the steering feel of the EP3 is a big debate and TBH it never really bothered me that much but after driving the 172 you can really feel the difference in terms of feel and the Clio is much better for it .

The Civic got around 29-30 MPG on my 40 mile trip to work if driven normally and the Clio is reading 41-42 MPG on the computer .

Build quality of the CTR was good but did have a few rattles and more than the Clio if I’m honest but everything worked and nothing broke on it in the 18months I had it ( not a lot of kit to break mind )

Performance wise there is nothing in it . The CTR seems to pull better at hi speeds but the Clio has more low down slug . Both handle well but the Clio is more checkable and the CTR is more stable on sweeping bends at speed . The engine and gear box in the CTR are much the better unit not to say the Clio is bad just not as good as the Civic

Tuning the CTR has so many parts and add ons and with some breathing mods 240BHP is quite easy for around £ 1200 . The Clio is how it is out of the box and bar some breaks and suspension bits there is no point spending money on it .

Insurance is more or less the same for both cars and so is tax .

Toys on the CTR is limited to air con so the Clio with its Xeons CC , auto lights wipers and ESP has much the better kit .

To sum up both great cars and both are an entertaining drive and i would behappy with either of them . The Clio is by far the better valiu for money butthe Honda has the better drive train .

Just all my thoughts for people who are looking .

Alan

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Good honest review, pretty much spot on of my experiences with them both.

Gearbox is great in the Honda but preferred driving my ph2 172 more than my mates Type R tbh.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Good honest review, pretty much spot on of my experiences with them both.

Gearbox is great in the Honda but preferred driving my ph2 172 more than my mates Type R tbh.

I was on the fence for a while and had driven them before. All I can say is try one properly

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
We swapped for a few days, and i drove it a fair few miles so wasn't a 5 minutes round block sort of thing mate.

Not slating the ctr, far from it Dan. It's a very good hot hatch and I liked driving it. I just preferred my 172 :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ah fair one goerge. Alot of people including me didn't give it enough time to decide. I do miss the Clio they were great cars but hopefully made the right choice :)

A SHED!
I had the jdm ep3 and hated it, numb steering, harsh ride & rattlely doorcards. My 172 cup was miles more fun!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Some good points well made - sums it up nicely. :D

Got some JDM headlights for the EP3 sat in the back room doing nothing actually. :D Need to put them up for sale.

clio 172 cup
Ive had them both, there is not much between them! I think the ep3 overall is a better car but you are paying few ££££ more. Don't think you can find a better car for the money then a cliosport 172/182 tho.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ive had them both, there is not much between them! I think the ep3 overall is a better car but you are paying few ££££ more. Don't think you can find a better car for the money then a cliosport 172/182 tho.

Agreed, although got mine at a good price :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Erm... not sure to be honest mate, would need to give it some thought. It's worth noting that it's not quite a straight swap for the lights you have on yours. They are wired slightly differently hence will need to fabricate or purchase a relay/adapter. Also, you lose the ability to alter the angle of the lights using the rotary switch *unless* you make (or buy) a harness for it. If you are still interested then I can look to sort a price out for you but I thought you should be aware of the additional effort involved first!

Fiesta ST Stage 3
JDM RARB was one of the best things i did on my one . Makes turn in so much better .

Also look at the window stop rattle kit too . For £ 7.00 it was the best mod i had :)

Alan

Fitted Jdm bar, stop tech pads and pagid discs today. Off tomo will report back :)