ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 03 172 spat it dummy!!!

03 clio 172
Hi just driving to work,in 4th car coughed and spluttered and cut out,wouldnt turn over 30 mins later turned over ok on tick over but when reved the revs all over the place then stalled.40 mins later after towing round corner by aa started with no issues drove 20 miles home no probs? Did exact same thing 2 weeks ago.showing no faults on reader as well?any ideas .

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Hard to pinpoint if its showing no faults,i would guess loose or corroded electric plug/terminal, is battery getting charged ok ?

03 clio 172
Ye battery fine,did the same 2 weeks ago then ran fine with no problems at all,goota be electrical somewhere i guess just gotta find it sonehow?

Renault Clio182 bean
Ye battery fine,did the same 2 weeks ago then ran fine with no problems at all,goota be electrical somewhere i guess just gotta find it sonehow?

Crank sensor/ wiring possibly, try wiggling the wires to the sensor while its running, see if it plays up

Renault Clio182 bean
Had code reader on both times but no faults at all?

What code reader was used? Some scanners are crap and don't show intermittent fault codes when a snap-on one would. Its worth checking the crank sensor wiring as I mentioned before as its a common fault and would make sense with the symptoms you have.

03 clio 172
I had the AA out not sure what code reader it was?will get someone else to check for codes.Will check crank sensor and cable at weekend thanks.

03 clio 172
Seemed to run a bit better more eager than before i think,or im just imagining it ;) lets see if it sorts it .

03 clio 172
Problem back again same as before, no fault codes leave it off for 15mins starts up and runs ok until i slow down at junction.Whats going on?????

03 clio 172
Could the dephaser cause this or air getting in or leaking? Running out of ideas,its doing it all the time now as soon as its up to temp and i slow down at junction starts to misfire and cuts out Help :(

03 clio 172
Could the dephaser really cause this intermitant fault wouldnt it do it all the time(just been running fine for a month?

Dephaser shouldn't cause problems like this.

This is going from when I had a Corsa but anything where the car struggled to start related to the coolant temperature sensor. However I'm not sure if this is the same for a Clio.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I'd say it needs going to a garage where they can diagnose it, rather than blindly guessing at what it could be over the internet. Yes, it'll cost you a chunk of cash, but at least you'll get an answer. You'll probably spend loads of money blindly buying parts anyway!

03 clio 172
Took it in on friday he used it all weekend had it on renault click diagnostics no faults or clues to whats causing it,asking the ? On here as im running out of options and maybe someones had the same issues.

172 Ph1
I'm pretty sure if the wiring was playing up further back for the crank sensor , it'll have logged a code .
Now poor fuel pressure caused by a dodgy relay and playing up when hot may cause this type of fault also.
Check the fuel pump relay if you haven't already

03 clio 172
Anyone know which one of the 3 relays in a row is the fuel pump relay?,15/20/30A? Just tried 4 places including renault dealer and nobody could tell me???

Clio 182
Is it only happening when the engine is hot?
If so it sounds similar to an issue i had that was because of a faulty coolant temp sensor.

Clio 182
It started off being difficult to start when it was hot. Progressively got worse and after a while noticed temp guage would randomly drop occasionally for a few seconds. (That also got more noticeable over time) Eventually it started cutting out on low revs. It would then run fine for a while if I left the car to cool down a bit. I replaced the coolant temp sensor and its been fine for over a year now, but ive heard some people had issues with the wire/connectors and not the sensor itself.
When this was happening the only thing diagnostics found was with one of the lambda sensors which caused engine light to come on, but I think that is a slightly separate issue with my car as that still happens now if the car takes a couple of seconds to fire up for any reason (and obviously I was turning it over a lot trying to get it to start when I had this issue)

Last edited:
  Clio 182
Just read the thread I made at the time when I was trying to find the problem,
Forgot to mention in the previous post it was also stuttering under full throttle.

03 clio 172
Thanx for the info much appreciated mines ok staring up hot or cold but very similar.All ideas welcome if anyone else got any cuz im trying em all haha .

03 clio 172
Ye had one fitted but after 3 weeks the emisions light came back on but runs fine and fault clears and stays of for another month,i just live with it;)