ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning tools

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Hope this is the right forum, it involves cleaning but not cars....
Im doing up my garage at the moment and thought I would clean all the tools in my tool chest.
Most of my spanners, screw drivers, sockets etc are all really mucky, covered in layers of engine oil, brake fluid, moly grease , you name it really.

Although I am tempted to chuck them all in the dish washer (bar the socket wrenches), I just know I would probably break the machine.

Im thinking of chucking them in a bucket and leaving some chemicals to work their magic. Problem is what would you use to clean them with?

Anyone done this and can offer some advice.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Solvent, autoglym engine cleaners good, but remember good old fashion hot water, a detergent and a scrub will get those bits others won't.

Best way to keep your tools clean after is to avoid dirty old cars..

Reactions: Gus

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Big bowl of coke... Really!
I dont have any parts washer fluid and only a third of a can of brake cleaner. So I am really intrigued with your idea. Im definitely going to give this a go - it wont strip the chrome or anything will it?
Ive got 10 litres of white spirits, will that work do you think?

SQ5
I dont have any parts washer fluid and only a third of a can of brake cleaner. So I am really intrigued with your idea. Im definitely going to give this a go - it wont strip the chrome or anything will it?
Ive got 10 litres of white spirits, will that work do you think?

It shouldn't do, but is good at getting grease and rust off stuff.
Maybe try just one first, you can also use the cheap nasty coke so nice and cheap.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I hate using the cans of brake cleaner as they normally cost a fortune and last second..

I really need to get a turbo drum of the stuff and put it in normal windowcleaning style bottles as I need it, because aerosols are junk..

Get in to the habit of wiping them off with brake cleaner on some paper towel as you go along before putting them away.

EuroCarParts often have Pagid brake cleaner on offer for a shade under £1.50 a can.

Even WD40/GT85 or similar will do the job if you have some handy.