ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning surface rust on used spacers

Clio 172 Cup
I've just purchased some second-hand front hubcentric spacers and rear stub axle spacers for my 172 Cup, but they have a small amount of surface rust on them.
Is this anything I need to worry about? I'm aware that it's best to have as clean and flat a surface as possible when installing the spacers, particularly on the front, so what's the best way to prep them before installation?
The rears seem a bit worse - again, any suggestions on the best way to tackle it, if indeed it even needs tackling?
Cheers.
yXdKERb.jpg

q2v7Ftt.jpg

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Wire wheel only takes the crud off or a sheet of 120 or higher grade sand paper on a flat surface to take off the high spots... Don't go mad, just clean them up..

A brush of bilt hamber rust proof or similar will blacken them up and keep them fresh a little longer..

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks Dave, appreciated. I've just noticed the fronts have got a couple of little dinks on them too, presumably from when they were posted, that will need flatting off. No need to treat them or anything like that?

Clio 172 Cup
Cheers 1812lsd. So, assuming the fronts just need flattening and cleaning, and won't rust, my best option would be to wallop rust remover all over the rears, then a couple of coats of POR15 all over? Or is it best to not do the faces of them?

CursedTitanium 182FF
Up to you, most will say don't, but if you only do two thin coats the paint is really not that thick, so tolerances should be fine.

CursedTitanium 182FF
To stop the mating face of the front spacers doing the same again, give them a smear of copper grease/slip.