ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Claying

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
for a beginner id say get the Megs clay kit, great piece ov kit with good instructions on how to use etc

E46 325ci, ZX10r E9f
clayed a car for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago, went for the bilt hamber soft, used it on my wife's car that has seen polish once in 4 years was very pleased with the results, paintwork felt like glass after a polishing and wax afterwards, less expensive in the long run as you use water to lube............i got detailed instructions with it too, bought it from rubbish boys too

Clio 182FF
I have the guide from here but any other tips or tricks for claying? Do's and don'ts that the guide might have missed? I am having my first go with some fine clay this weekend all being well :)

Clio 182FF
One thing that confussed me a bit was what you do AFTER you've clayed the car. Do you rinse the car down with water again, just dry of the ressidue, jet wash it or something else before you polish seal and wax etc...

mk5 fiesta zetec s
i think you would be very stuck without me mate :D lol.

i used the clay bar then i used autoglym super resin polish and it came out like this. i also added extra gloss protection after took me 7 hours all together.

from that

DSC_0074.jpg

to this

DSC_0077.jpg

Clio 182FF
Minted! I don't mind admitting I'm a total noob at this because everyone has to learn to walk before they can ride a bike.

mk5 fiesta zetec s
that was the first time i have ever cleaned a car tbh (used to just use turtle wax cheap shampoo and call it a day). i just went out one day and spent 90 quid on some decentish products. look on the quides on here mate they are very helpful for begginers

Clio 182FF
Aye. Printed a few guides off - its a lot to take in but the more you do it the better you get I guess. Need to prep my paint for new stickers to be added, remove some white marks from the black bump strips amongst a few other jobs.

E46 325ci, ZX10r E9f
I have the guide from here but any other tips or tricks for claying? Do's and don'ts that the guide might have missed? I am having my first go with some fine clay this weekend all being well :)

put a towel or something under the area your working to stop the clay hitting the ground if/when you drop it

One thing that confussed me a bit was what you do AFTER you've clayed the car. Do you rinse the car down with water again, just dry of the ressidue, jet wash it or something else before you polish seal and wax etc...

What would I do without you :eek:

So I think I have this down:

Jet wash
Shampoo
Jet wash
Clay
Wipe off
Polish
Seal
Wax

Imo both are these are wrong, I suppose really it's all up to personal preference.

Pre-wash (snow foam)
wash
rinse
clay and buff off
wash
rinse
dry as it looks like the above are not doing?
polish
seal (1-3 coats)
wax
Stand back and admire!

Job done.

P1000055.gif

Astra SRI CDTI,Hornet FA8
Imo both are these are wrong, I suppose really it's all up to personal preference.

Pre-wash (snow foam)
wash
rinse
clay and buff off
wash
rinse
dry as it looks like the above are not doing?
polish
seal (1-3 coats)
wax
Stand back and admire!

Job done.
Sealant and a wax... Is that necessary?

Bus w**ker
Yeah. You seal the newly polished paintwork to protect it and give the wax something to bond to. Using a glaze is optional.

Sealant and a wax... Is that necessary?
Ofcourse it is mate. best piece of advise anyone ever gave me tbh! To many ppl think that the sealant acts as a wax, but this really isn't the case as the sealant seals in the newly applied polish, leave it for around 45-60 mins, buff off and then apply the wax. Btw my wax of choice is AG high definition wax. 24 hours later apply another coat of wax as you need that amount of time to let the wax cure and harden.
Yeah. You seal the newly polished paintwork to protect it and give the wax something to bond to. Using a glaze is optional.
Thanks buddy.

Just to point out Charlie, you do not "buff off" after you clay. There can sometime be small pieces of clay on the paint work/other grime. You must jet wash, then wash thoroughly again, then dry.

The rest is correct.

Oh and sealent is to do exactly that, (as you said) seal the paint work against contaminents. Wax is purely for looks but can sometimes add a little more protection on top.

put a towel or something under the area your working to stop the clay hitting the ground if/when you drop it

Another very good piece of advice, that Stephen told me not too long ago. However, I can't remember the last time I dropped a piece of clay . . . but a good idea all the same.

Just to point out Charlie, you do not "buff off" after you clay. There can sometime be small pieces of clay on the paint work/other grime. You must jet wash, then wash thoroughly again, then dry.

The rest is correct.

Oh and sealent is to do exactly that, (as you said) seal the paint work against contaminents. Wax is purely for looks but can sometimes add a little more protection on top.
Well I always wipe off with a microfibre cloth and then re-wash as I stated in my mated mate. So you saying thisis not the best way????

Well I always wipe off with a microfibre cloth and then re-wash as I stated in my mated mate. So you saying thisis not the best way????

No fella, you need to wash it. Buffing it is like to buff in crap i.e. cause even more swirls. Wash it first :)