ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Civic type ’R’ eater!

Astra CDTI SRI

Arent Type Rs supposed to be faster than 182s?

Dont think so! Beat 2 of them @ crail on sunday! :D

Its was kinda close though, but I beat them both!

Also beat a Saxo VTR (left him standing!), a BMW 320 (ditto) and a FTO.

It was pissing down but I was still impressed with my car!

H22A7 Accord Type R

the problem in the civic is traction tho mate!!! they spin too easily in 1st n second! my mate lost in his to a cup up the 1/4!

ST

Regards to the beating the CTR mate, they dont have traction control IIRC so if you were launching yours with the traction on youd have been getting that little extra helping hand over the guy in the CTR.

P.s not having a pop at your driving.

H22A7 Accord Type R

ahhhhhh it was pissin down ^^ ..............there is ya answer mate..........nightmare in the wet

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

hhmmm me and a mate went southend on sat night, me in my cup him an 04 ctr, needless to say i one everytime, but i would say it depends who gets a better start like R3OBC says they light the front wheels to easy

Astra CDTI SRI

Im going to post times when the crail website is updated.

Wasnt going back out in the rain to find out my times!:D

P.s im still grinning now! :D

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by 16vClio on 02 May 2005

Regards to the beating the CTR mate, they dont have traction control IIRC so if you were launching yours with the traction on youd have been getting that little extra helping hand over the guy in the CTR.

P.s not having a pop at your driving.
If anything, traction control slows you down when you try and do a fast take off. You need to get right to the limit of traction to get away quickly - the traction control senses this and kills the engine power causing the car to bog down badly.

From what Ive seen from various 1/4 mile threads, theres generally little to choose between the CTR and the Clio down the strip. Times are usually similar but the CTR having the slightly higher terminal speed due to its superior top end grunt.

Id reserve the grinning till you eat one in the dry m8. My bros skyline was running 17s! Wheelspun all the way up the 1/4!

Win is a win though.

206 GTI

Weel done on beating it m8 but you cant read too much into sunday as it was FAR too wet. As an example my my mate ran a 16.5 in his chipped S3 and my other mate ran about the same in his pulsar

Quote: Originally posted by sargey on 02 May 2005

vtr?? do you mean vts cos i wouldnt be boasting about beating that, you should beat that easyly!! and a 320 beemer is pretty slow so is an fto though it looks like it should be faster. beating a ctr though good craic, traction in the wet comes down to driver skill if theres no traction control

Astra CDTI SRI

Just got my times.

1st run - 18.954 sec
2nd run - 16.667 sec
3rd run - 16.615 sec
4th run - 16.170 sec.

No 5th run time for some reason.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Wow, you need to pratice I think mate (although the rain would account for a bit of time right enough)

Standard mk2 172 (well part from cat back zorst)

1/4 mile @ crail in 14.8 with more to come. I havent been beaten yet by a CTR.

[Edited by KDF on 5/3/2005 9:31:53 AM]

Astra CDTI SRI

Quote: Originally posted by KDF on 03 May 2005Wow, you need to pratice I think mate (although the rain would account for a bit of time right enough)

Standard mk2 172 (well part from cat back zorst)

1/4 mile @ crail in 14.8 with more to come. I havent been beaten yet by a CTR.

[Edited by KDF on 5/3/2005 9:31:53 AM]

Thats probably got something to do with the massive puddle just before the finish line. Stops you like a brick wall!

[Edited by sargey on 5/3/2005 9:39:41 AM]:D

Lee

BMW M2C

I love the way people can still make excuses for the Civic when its a level playing field. lol Theres nothing between the two cars, even though from my experience they have been slower on the track and on the strip.

Traction control slows the 172/182, Ive never run with it on since my first ever runs in the 172. It bogs you down.

Ive never lost to a standard CTR either, in fact I beat a modified one at Santa Pod last time I went. Just induction and exhaust on his. It was close though, fag paper between us, and a thumbs up from the other guy at the end.

Having seen the pics from York at the weekend Im amazed anyone even ran.

Astra CDTI SRI

Other times for clios were...

19.618 sec
17.320 sec
19.074 sec
16.446 sec
16.710 sec

17.018 sec
16.660 sec
16.739 sec
16.633 sec
16.714 sec

17.597 sec
16.766 sec
16.874 sec

17.056 sec
18.416 sec

All in all, I didnt do that bad eh! ;)

Ph1

belive me this was no ordinary rain fall. It was absolutely throwing it down !! My mate who has a very very highly modified Polo G40 [ one of the most modified in the country ] got pissed on buy a standard Golf GTI !!

I also bet a Type R up at Crail in my mk1 172 on the 6th of feb in the dry with a few minor problems with the car and with not my quickest run of the day !!

http://www.crailraceway.co.uk/show_times.asp?CarNumber=162&RunDate=20050206&RaceID=959http://www.crailraceway.co.uk/show_times.asp?CarNumber=162&RunDate=20050206&RaceID=959

well if they light their wheels too easily thats there fault isnt it!!! Itd be like saying if the clio got beat then oh the clio could of won if it had a bit more power down the straight

a wins a win!!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by davidol on 03 May 2005

well if they light their wheels too easily thats there fault isnt it!!! Itd be like saying if the clio got beat then oh the clio could of won if it had a bit more power down the straight

a wins a win!!!!!
exactly, its their fault, not the cars. to beat a CTR on the road would be a lot harder, as 9/10 times you will be already rolling. so in which case to eat a Type R youd need my car :D

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 03 May 2005
Quote: Originally posted by davidol on 03 May 2005well if they light their wheels too easily thats there fault isnt it!!! Itd be like saying if the clio got beat then oh the clio could of won if it had a bit more power down the straighta wins a win!!!!![/QUOTE]exactly, its their fault, not the cars. to beat a CTR on the road would be a lot harder, as 9/10 times you will be already rolling. so in which case to eat a Type R youd need my car :D

You have to be in it to win it. No point being quick if its not reliable.
:p

yeah, thats very true! but then again its hardly going to be reliable being a Clio... and guess what engine the F4 is based on... ;) lol

last on road comparisons were brand new WRX, him on his own, me 3 up and also a CTR, him 2 up me still 3 up... not even a challenge.

CTRs are notoriously tricky to launch in the dry, never mind the wet. All the power is so high up in the rev band that you have to rev the tits off it just to get it going. 2nd gear launches are the way forward for the Civic.

133/225/CLS AMG

There is very little perfomance wise with the CTR compared to the 172/182s.

Lets face it they are pretty big cars especially compared to a Clio.

Glad you gave some a whipping though!! :D

EVO VII

ive never saw a fast CTR down the 1/4 they all seem to do 15.xx. its all in the start ;)

You try launching a high power GTT

Quote: Originally posted by m4rk on 03 May 2005

Quote: Originally posted by sargey on 02 May 2005

vtr?? do you mean vts cos i wouldnt be boasting about beating that, you should beat that easyly!! and a 320 beemer is pretty slow so is an fto though it looks like it should be faster. beating a ctr though good craic, traction in the wet comes down to driver skill if theres no traction control

FTO slow? I used to own a manual FTO GPX MIVEC = 197 bhp, 0-60 in just over 7 seconds and they regularly run mid 14s on the 1/4! Problem is everyone underestimates them based on the tiptronic ones that flooded the import scene! I went from a CTR into one and performance was similar and handling was far superior.

Erm, how come it means nothing that he beat a CTR just because it was wet?
Doesnt that show that the CTR is only any cop in the dry then?
Or that it has a bad balance of power?

CTRs are hard enough to launch in the dry let alone the wet (had 1 for 1 1/2 years) but much less torque steer than in 182, so in the dry there wouldnt be alot in it. Much easier to launch rear or 4 wheel drive on the 1/4 mile!!!!