ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Choices! Low mileage 172cup vs high mileage trophy?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Both the 172 Cup and 182 Trophy will do you well in reality but for me, out of the two, I'd choose the 172 Cup (and I actually did).

PR_150228_MSVT_BA_0977.jpg

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Why was the 172 cup for you?

For me personally, it is basic in its spec (less to go wrong) yet this simplicity also makes it brilliant. In addition to that:
  • It had a better geometry setup than the standard 172 did making it sharper on turn in.
  • It doesn't have an overly harsh ride on the UK roads (unlike the Trophy).
  • It doesn't stand out too much and so not many people want to race it or steal the damn thing.
  • The running costs are lower for them.
  • Limited run of vehicles produced making them that extra special
I would love to add an X85 to my collection but I see the average cost of repair to them and it scares me! The X65 is so practical to use as a daily, cheap to maintain and actually very reliable by direct comparison.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
For me personally, it is basic in its spec (less to go wrong) yet this simplicity also makes it brilliant. In addition to that:
  • It had a better geometry setup than the standard 172 did making it sharper on turn in.
  • It doesn't have an overly harsh ride on the UK roads (unlike the Trophy).
  • It doesn't stand out too much and so not many people want to race it or steal the damn thing.
  • The running costs are lower for them.
  • Limited run of vehicles produced making them that extra special
I would love to add an X85 to my collection but I see the average cost of repair to them and it scares me! The X65 is so practical to use as a daily, cheap to maintain and actually very reliable by direct comparison.

Weren't the cups just limited by the amount of people that wanted to buy them? Like any other model! (other than the Trophy)
f**k paying 5.5k for one now. You could get 2 mint ones for that price....

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The word "mint" is thrown around way too much. There's no way in hell you could buy one genuinely "mint" example for that let alone two. As I've said on Facebook earlier today, the good cars will always be compared to the bad ones when estimating value. Would you pay £10k for a Mk1 Clio?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The word "mint" is thrown around way too much. There's no way in hell you could buy one genuinely "mint" example for that let alone two. As I've said on Facebook earlier today, the good cars will always be compared to the bad ones when estimating value. Would you pay £10k for a Mk1 Clio?

Mint?

15046636165_aa5f8e859c_k.jpg
IMG_0001 by Scott Raven, on Flickr

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Close but "Mint" would mean completely 100% standard to. Not optimised or mildly modified - Not that i'm slating the Ph1 because it is extremely clean.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Okay, 2 very tidy ones for 5.5k then!
If I had a spare 10k to splash out on a classic car (again you could argue that term is thrown around too much!) then no it wouldn't be going on a mk1 Clio for me!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Okay, 2 very tidy ones for 5.5k then!
If I had a spare 10k to splash out on a classic car (again you could argue that term is thrown around too much!) then no it wouldn't be going on a mk1 Clio for me!

Well two achieved it last year and yes, they were extremely clean examples. The only people that actually de-value Renaults are the bloody owners. There are some really nice cars from the French stable in this club that are worth more than people think but you're all tighter than a Nuns chuff at times.

I think the Cup looks stunning, but IMO you would be better off getting a slightly leggier one for less money.

The engine may have suffered lots more cold starts and shorter journeys than leggier one, and that is when most engine wear occurs...

Also think of it like this. You spend £5.5k on a car, if you put 50k miles on it, it will then be worth about £2.5k. You will have lost about £3k.

If you spend £2.5k on a 75k example and put 50k miles on it, you would probably still get £1500 in good condition a loss of only £1k

Also a higher mileage car may well have had all of the stuff which has worn out replaced, a lower mileage car won't have had it done. Things like radiators, suspension bushes, exhausts and brake discs can fail due to age not just mileage after all.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
No one is buying a 172 Cup as a retirement investment.

If i could afford to buy a mint Cup i'd buy it, did it ever cross anyones mind that someone wants a nice clean example of one of the most sought after hot hatches of the 00's and doesn't give a monkeys c**t what it'll be worth after XYZ years?!?

Jesus christ this place has its moments.

clio 182 trophy
No one is buying a 172 Cup as a retirement investment.

If i could afford to buy a mint Cup i'd buy it, did it ever cross anyones mind that someone wants a nice clean example of one of the most sought after hot hatches of the 00's and doesn't give a monkeys c**t what it'll be worth after XYZ years?!?

Jesus christ this place has its moments.
But the german performance cars are worth every penny!:cool:

Neither. Just buy a cheap 172. As been said. They are just Clio's after all. Sod resale value. According to many people 205 Gti's should be worth a million quid right now but they aren't...

Somnambulist

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I paid £4250 for a Trophy last month with 74K on the clock and in great condition, so with 100K on the clock that's overpriced (although I do feel I got a steal). Definitely wouldn't pay £5K for a Cup though.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
There is a mint cup on pistonheads for £2500, and its a cliosport members car. IMO it's a bargain