ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chips away

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Anyone used these guys?

I managed to put a 3 inch scratch in my drivers side door with the baby's pram and want to get it repaired. How much do chips away charge to do one small scratch?

330i. E30 Touring.
I wouldn't use them TBH. Very hard to do well.

Cheapest and easiest way is a second hand door IMO. £30 and it takes less than an hour to swap.

What colour's your 182?

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Changing the door seems a bit drastic for the severity of the scratch TBH. A door might only be 30 sovs but with the time and inconvenience of fitting it I'd rather just get someone round to repair the scratch.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
ok I do actually have a Renault touch up kit but I was looking to have it done properly if it wasn't going to be too expensive.

Listerine & Poledo
I iz disappoint

From the title, I thought Ron had gone and joined a new force

chips-cop-tv-show.jpg

Pic of the scratch?

I was thinking of using a smart repairer for my scuff on the front bumper which is well out of the way to be honest in terms of will a bad paint job be visible, the drivers door is in your face so anything other than a very good job is going to be noticeable, and after asking the same questions as you i.e. why not? I also agreed after that a quick spray job on the driveway wouldnt look good.

For now you could try and touch the scratch in with a touch up paint then flat and polish until a professional job is done, but im not sure how that would turn out.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I'm not at home at the moment so can't take a pic. It's a deep scratch so won't polish out. Luckily it's just below the plastic strip so isn't right in your face.

http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/services/repair-video/

The above says it all about chips away. Only part masked which means overspray all over the motor, that random bit of masking in the bumper air duct which means there will be a hard paint edge left around there and the lack of any keying whatsoever around the repair before priming means it'll flake off at some point. That's before we go into the fact they'll be painting outside, in the pissing rain and gale getting all sorts of s**t stuck in the paint in the process. Idiots.

inferno 182.
Chips Away!!! dont even go there mate!! people get there lease cars done by them so they get a cheap job done to avoid a recharge from the lease company! It dont work as ive a car park full waiting to put them right!

theres a car sales place out the back of my work who yous these mobile sprayers and you can always see where theyv had a rear quarter etc done

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Chips Away!!! dont even go there mate!! people get there lease cars done by them so they get a cheap job done to avoid a recharge from the lease company! It dont work as ive a car park full waiting to put them right!

Cheers Chris. I'll give them a swerve then.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/services/repair-video/

The above says it all about chips away. Only part masked which means overspray all over the motor, that random bit of masking in the bumper air duct which means there will be a hard paint edge left around there and the lack of any keying whatsoever around the repair before priming means it'll flake off at some point. That's before we go into the fact they'll be painting outside, in the pissing rain and gale getting all sorts of s**t stuck in the paint in the process. Idiots.

And...... thread.

I do like not so smart repairs, they end up giving us lots of business from their shocking jobs.

Chip's away guys go on a weeks trainning course, yet dont really get much practice.. Theres not painters and to be honest there not qualified. Personally id find a good painter or change the door!

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Well I'll definitely avoid then.

Had another look at the scratch yesterday and I was definitely exaggerating when I said a 3 inch scratch. It's more like a one inch scratch TBH. However, having exaggerated over the length of the scratch I still maintain that I have an 8 inch penis........

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Colourtone in Basildon if you want it painted. Still neeeeeeeeed to get my boot/spoilers done (FFS) !

Below the bumpstrip ? Should be OK painted below that surely..?

Pics if you can later would help :)

Last edited:
  Phase 1 172, boxster
I do private work from the bodyshop I work at just off junction 11 of the m25, if you want a quote give me a pm with pics of said scratch :)

GW Clio Sport 200
From a dreadful previous experience I wouldnt go anywhere near Chips Away.
Someone kindly keyed the rear panel of my previous renaultsport Megane. I had them to the house where it took the guy a whole day to paint the panel. Job didn't look to bad until the sun caught It and you could still see where the original scratch was in the paint. A week later the paint started peeling off near the wheel arch!
Ended up having a full refund and getting it done properly in a bodyshop which I wished I had done in the first place.
Chips
away are cheaper, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.