ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap / lesser known brands of brakes

Clio Sport xxx
My REAR discs and pads are on their way out, and i happened to be particularlly skint this month (MOT and 4 tyres to get this month also!). Also because they are for the rear brakes, which to my knowledge only do about 10% of the braking, i was wondering if I would be safe to get cheaper brand discs and pads?

I just wanted peoples opinion on this. I'm fully aware of the risks and reputation of cheap/lesser known rands of brake discs and pads, and i would normally only buy reputable makes. The frequency of warped discs and squeeky brakes are obviously increased using such brake parts.

I've seen on ebay a kit comprising 2x pairs of Mintex pads and 2x Allied Nippon rear discs with bearings and ABS rings, all for £90 delivered! Which when shopping around it extreamly cheap.

Would / or has anyone used such brake part for the rear of their car? if so has anyone experienced any problems?

Thanks in advanced!

Unless I've mis-read the question, I wouldn't say Mintex are a lesser known brand! If that is a good deal (I don't know never bought any brake bits for a Clio), then I'd say go for it - both of those makes are OE spec manufcaturers.

172 cup
did mine as mintex on the rears have been fine, pads are a bit noisey at slow speeds when cold. Apart from that no problems. Like you say rears only work hard enough to scrape rust off anyway

Clio Sport xxx
Unless I've mis-read the question, I wouldn't say Mintex are a lesser known brand! If that is a good deal (I don't know never bought any brake bits for a Clio), then I'd say go for it - both of those makes are OE spec manufcaturers.

Ok yes Mintex aren't exactly bottom of the range, but that is just what is claimed on the ebay advert, and it just reads Mintex PADS. When i asked the seller what brand the parts were, his reply was 'they are all European make Allied'. How sure are you Allied are OE spec manufacturers? because I did a little research on them, and what little results i did get suggested they were cheap immitation part, cast for pennies in places around the far east.

Clio Sport xxx
as above tbh.

However, if you really want cheap new discs/pads... get onto Brake Engineering. Cheap as hell. I use them on all sorts of cars when i can be bothered to do them myself... can't recommend them enough

http://www.brake-eng.com/

Well, thank you daviebroon! I checked out brake engineering, and they seem quite reputable.... well they at least have a website! lol unlike Allied Nippon

Found out they have a Motor Factors in Southampton they supply parts to, gave these guys a call and they can supply me with Brake Engineering discs (with bearings but NO abs ring) and Ferodo pads picked up for £75!!! What a difference a bit of research makes! The first place I called for a price (GSF) wanted £75 + VAT just for one disc with bearing and abs ring!!!

Just a quick question regarding replacing these parts myself.... is it ok to re-use the abs rings and 30mm hub nuts?

Cheers for all the help!

172 cup
they are a nyelock nut, but i re-used one of mine. Though most bearing kits come with a new one. But one was missing

DJB

182 Cup RB Stripes
supply me with Brake Engineering discs (with bearings but NO abs ring) and Ferodo pads picked up for £75!!!

I was led to believe that refitting an ABS ring is risky as they can be easily damaged.

I'm interested in peoples response to this as i'm about to be getting all my brakes replaced soon (by a garage though).

Clio Sport xxx
Well i just called Renault to get a price for the abs rings, turns out you can't buy them on their own..... is this right, or was i just speaking to an idiot at Renault?

Can someone please confirm, else I will have to re-use the old rings, which knowing my luck will have welded them selves to the old discs!!

Thanks