ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Charged Cup Anyone?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
He's drove it 1300 miles and realised it was a bag of spanners?

Trader Rating - 100%
13   0   0
  53 Clio's & counting
^^^ this!

Answer is dont spend a fortune on them, like me :D lol (only because iv never had any money)

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Rusty Cup
odd the way it doesnt make any effort to suggest what power its kicking out..

Ktec reckon

"If you were to opt for the forged rods along with a revised ecu program and paddle clutch (the stage 2 set up) you will be running around 300bhp which will make the car incredibly fast and will bring the 0-60 time down into the 4 second bracket"

I would consider this worth saying if it was applicable lol

DMS

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  A thirsty 172
It'll be making about 280ish. Still VERY quick. So quick in fact, that most people refuse to believe what they can keep up with.
I don't get why people sell them straight after charging them though? I drive mine everywhere, day in day out and it's fine. I must have done over 10,000 miles since it was turbo'd and the only "problem" I've had is the sticking throttle, which loads of Ph1's suffer from (I have the Ph1 throttle conversion).

Trader Rating - 100%
11   0   0
  e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Interesting as usual.

Speculation will obviously be rife that its a possible collection of problems.
At a guess Id query the following matters on the car: -
Clutch reliability
Drivetrain relaibility
Gearbox performance/ handling of power
Christmas tree dash may also be apparent.
Injectors reliability

Who knows. As usual with mods of this ilk you will never get your money back and is a risky business as not everyones cuppa.

DMS

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  A thirsty 172
If it's the stage 2 setup it'll have the Helix paddle clutch, which is more than capable of handling that much power / torque. It's a bit jerky when you first drive the car and it's very heavy but it doesn't take long to get used to.

Drivetrain problems? Like what?

Gearbox can handle the power fine as long as you don't nail it in first gear and you actually change gear properly before engaging the clutch.

The dash lights are only an issue if you let them be. I'm not arsed about mine - the car still runs fine.

Injectors - I haven't had a problem with mine, although they are maxed out when on full boost. Going up to 630cc's would work around this and might allow a little bit more boost if mapped to suit. (say .1 bar at most, since the turbo doesn't seem to hold much more than 1 bar well).

I think most people do it because they think they can afford it, then realise that insurance costs and especially petrol costs are much higher than they initially thought. I can chew through a full tank of fuel in less than 150 miles if driving agressively. They're still quite economical if you stay off the boost though.

Trader Rating - 100%
11   0   0
  e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Just curious as to whether the drivetrain will take the extra torque/power.
Alot will depend on the quality of the build and mapping on other matters.

Would be unfair to say as I dont know the car, but thats the kinda stuff id be thinking about if I was in the market for a turbo or supercharged one.

MPG will instantly be a concern, i take it the original computer readings are somewhat 'out' as a consequence of any works of that ilk?

150 miles for 55quid or so - tasty :D

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I get 180 out of £20! 155 miles for a full tank would make me very sad!

JD

Trader Rating - 95%
17   1   2
I'd be interested to hear the reasons for selling, purely based (yes speculatively) on RyanK's being sat, broken, on his drive, and loads of others being sold straight after build.

The only running charged Clio that I know well is Jon's AKA The Jesus AKA KungfuSpagetti.

DMS

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  A thirsty 172
Just curious as to whether the drivetrain will take the extra torque/power.
Alot will depend on the quality of the build and mapping on other matters.

Would be unfair to say as I dont know the car, but thats the kinda stuff id be thinking about if I was in the market for a turbo or supercharged one.

MPG will instantly be a concern, i take it the original computer readings are somewhat 'out' as a consequence of any works of that ilk?

150 miles for 55quid or so - tasty :D

Yeah. The trip computer doesn't work anymore so you have to rely on the old fashioned needle instead. Apparently the Gen90 ECU is capable of controlling the standard trip computer but as of yet it hasn't been made to work.
I've got the Omex 600 ECU so mine will never work regardless.

Yes it's thirsty but only when you're on the boost. Off boost I worked out I was getting about 33mpg which isn't that bad really. I think most people who get this sort of thing done fail to factor in the cost of fuel, then drive around on the boost all the time, then sell up as soon as they see it raping their wallet. I can make a whole tank last 3 weeks just driving the 5½ miles to and from work where it's impossible to go above 40mph.

The moral of the story is that if you're unsure whether you'll be able to afford the running costs, you almost certainly can't.

Last edited:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
Trader Rating - 100%
17   0   0
  Elise, Duster
www.overexposure.com

Seems to be the same old shite with these modified clios.

That tells me that
A) They're unreliable
B) They're hard to live with dails
C) They're not as good as people boast about on here.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  R26
Hope this doesnt happen to me but by the looks of things boosted clios are cursed!

Should get mine all done by next week :)

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Evo 5 RS
You'l have to expand on that one mate, your the first person ive seen whos been in/owned one to say something like that (that is ofcourse if you have driven one).

Yes.

Like you say you'd have to experience it. I just find it's quite a numb experience on the whole.

And I personally feel it's half the reason they sell on so quickly

Trader Rating - 100%
13   0   0
  53 Clio's & counting
Iv driven a turbo'd Clio running circa 210 bhp and I prefere my itbs, not that there was anything wrong with the conversion or the car, its just it didnt excite me as much as mine does. But thats why I went down the itb route.

I expect a high powered version would be a lot more fun, but then would cost a lot more than the 3 figure sum mine has cost.

Swings and roundabouts tbh

DMS

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  A thirsty 172
Why do you think the drive is dull? What's dull about them?
It's much less dull than driving a standard 1*2 and they aren't exactly mind numbing in the first place (IMO of course - each to their own).

Going back to what I said up there ^ though, I don't think the reliability is the reason people get rid of them. Maybe in the past, but of all the recently converted cars I know of, none are unreliable. If anything the supercharged ones are less reliable because of that bracket which keeps snapping on them. As I've said a million times, mine's been fine in the 10,000+ miles I've done in it since October - the only hiccup being a sticking throttle body which could happen to any car with the Ph1 setup.

I think the reason people get rid of them is because they underestimate how expensive they are to run. I think it's mainly young lads who get it done because they want something that's "rapid innit". They'll get them, rag them around for a few weeks before they see that it's ruining them financially, namely in fuel, tyres, brakes and insurance, so they'll sell them on cheap to get some money back while they still can. I'm talking about the sort of kid who wants a Scooby or an M3 at 19 but can't afford the insurance or running costs, so gets a Clio instead, turbo's it thinking it'll still be cheap to run, then gets a nasty surprise when finds that he's maxed his overdraft because he keeps having to fill it with petrol every 2 days.

I enjoy owning mine. It runs fine, it's quick, it's fun when I want it to be yet civilised when I just want to get from A to B and it really is better than standard to drive. Torque on tap so gear changes are reduced, the clutch has gotten light now it's bedded in properly and it sounds good too.
As I said, it is expensive to run but probably no more expensive than something like an M3 or a Scoob STi, and it's not like I can't afford to run it either.

People are entitled to form their own opinions, but in my experience they're not unreliable, and I've owned one for nearly a year (and it was standard for a year before that so I've got something to compare it with).

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Im still trying to understand how 250+bhp is a dull drive,after having about 160 in a standard 172,,,

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
13   0   0
  Gentlemans spec 200
I wouldn't say it's dull, but I don't think they are as exciting as people expect with that much extra power. I had a go in a sc 172 cup, and I was far from blown away.

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I wouldn't say it's dull, but I don't think they are as exciting as people expect with that much extra power. I had a go in a sc 172 cup, and I was far from blown away.

The roads was s**t to drive on, and all the traffic. O and the fact the car was running far from perfect:mad:
Its getting there ..... slowly, and the wheels are a bit more in line now.

Trader Rating - 100%
5   0   0
  TrackCar & F30 330d
The pictures are shocking.

I've read the above, everyone is going to stick up for whatever mods they have done to their engine, Obviously ITB's are the coolest ;)

I do like boosted cars, i drove my old mans Focus ST and i did like it.

The main thing is that you can boost a clio and it will be fast and comfortable, I've had to strp everything out and ITB my clio to be as fast as a low boost clio.

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Evo 5 RS
Why do you think the drive is dull? What's dull about them?
It's much less dull than driving a standard 1*2 and they aren't exactly mind numbing in the first place (IMO of course - each to their own).

Going back to what I said up there ^ though, I don't think the reliability is the reason people get rid of them. Maybe in the past, but of all the recently converted cars I know of, none are unreliable. If anything the supercharged ones are less reliable because of that bracket which keeps snapping on them. As I've said a million times, mine's been fine in the 10,000+ miles I've done in it since October - the only hiccup being a sticking throttle body which could happen to any car with the Ph1 setup.

I think the reason people get rid of them is because they underestimate how expensive they are to run. I think it's mainly young lads who get it done because they want something that's "rapid innit". They'll get them, rag them around for a few weeks before they see that it's ruining them financially, namely in fuel, tyres, brakes and insurance, so they'll sell them on cheap to get some money back while they still can. I'm talking about the sort of kid who wants a Scooby or an M3 at 19 but can't afford the insurance or running costs, so gets a Clio instead, turbo's it thinking it'll still be cheap to run, then gets a nasty surprise when finds that he's maxed his overdraft because he keeps having to fill it with petrol every 2 days.

I enjoy owning mine. It runs fine, it's quick, it's fun when I want it to be yet civilised when I just want to get from A to B and it really is better than standard to drive. Torque on tap so gear changes are reduced, the clutch has gotten light now it's bedded in properly and it sounds good too.
As I said, it is expensive to run but probably no more expensive than something like an M3 or a Scoob STi, and it's not like I can't afford to run it either.

People are entitled to form their own opinions, but in my experience they're not unreliable, and I've owned one for nearly a year (and it was standard for a year before that so I've got something to compare it with).

Not entirely dull - wrong word to go with maybe
I'd say it's comparatively numb to throttle bodies, not on the whole. I much prefer the throttle response and the drive given by itbs and conventional cable throttle that's all

Boosted clios cover a lot of ground and I fully agree that there is the 'wtf' factor about them. Just not for me

preference as it always is that's all