ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

charcoal canister solenoid delete, what's the best way to do it?

hi, so my charcoal canister solenoid has been clicking away now for a while and i will be taking my bumper off soon to fit a re-sprayed bumper so i wouldn't mind removing the solenoid and possibly the canister too. what is the way to remove the solenoid? there is so many different ways that people are saying to do it from all the previous threads it's all just a little bit confusing. from my knowledge i'm guessing i want to block both the vacuum pipe and the fuel tank pipe and then i will need to get a resister that matches the solenoid resistence and put that on the wires that go to the solenoid to stop the EML coming on?

i know i've probably just answered my own question but i just want to make sure that is the way it should be done. i have actually got another solenoid but after thinking about it, i'd rather just get rid of the problem altogether.

thanks

Cup In bits
Block the pipe that goes to the breather plate on top of the rocker cover or the idle will be high and then remove the plastic pipe that leads from canister>rocker cover.

Either a resistor or pull the solenoid of the top of the canister and leave it plugged in and secured away.

You can leave the tank breather pipe in place (don't block it I'm not a fan of that as its a breather) or trace it back to the tank and snip it above the tank to stop any potential syphoning issues or just unclip the pipe.

Block the pipe that goes to the breather plate on top of the rocker cover or the idle will be high and then remove the plastic pipe that leads from canister>rocker cover.

Either a resistor or pull the solenoid of the top of the canister and leave it plugged in and secured away.

You can leave the tank breather pipe in place (don't block it I'm not a fan of that as its a breather) or trace it back to the tank and snip it above the tank to stop any potential syphoning issues or just unclip the pipe.
thanks for your help

i thought the pipe was just a petrol fume return from the engine? from what i read if i block the pipe the other tank breathers are more than good enough for the job (fuel cap breather)

thanks

What MG Cup said really

I blocked the 2 ends of the solenoid as well as I found it ticked after the pipes were removed but it was still plugged in. After that it was nice and quiet :)

so i should be okay to block off the pipe that goes back to the tank? sorry i'm just getting abit confused with myself, haha

ah right, it's just that one of the threads i read people were having a massive debate on why you should block the tank pipe off. the main reason why people were saying to block it is because it is venting fumes into the engine bay and also because it's venting the fumes directly into the environment. for that reason i have been confused.

thanks

Evo
Do you really care that much if it's venting into atmosphere? Not like that one little pipe will bring the polar ice caps down any quicker.

i didn't mean it in that way, i meant that over time fuel will be evaporating away in to the atmosphere meaning you have also lost fuel (a very small amount i know)

is there really any particular reason why i can't just block the fuel pipe off?

thanks

ph2 172
i didn't mean it in that way, i meant that over time fuel will be evaporating away in to the atmosphere meaning you have also lost fuel (a very small amount i know)

is there really any particular reason why i can't just block the fuel pipe off?

thanks

If the pressure builds up more than the other breather can handle then the tank will expand and contract, this causes material fatigue what leads to fracturing and cracks.
If your that bothered just fit a one way valve to it so if pressure builds up it will vent to atmosphere but won't let anything back in.

If the pressure builds up more than the other breather can handle then the tank will expand and contract, this causes material fatigue what leads to fracturing and cracks.
If your that bothered just fit a one way valve to it so if pressure builds up it will vent to atmosphere but won't let anything back in.

a one way valve maybe a good idea, thanks

Where is this actually located? Looked for it earlier but couldn't see it

if you get the drivers side front wheel arch liner off you will see the charcoal canister, also if you take the front bumper off you can access it pretty easy too.