ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing steering rack

Clio 182
Final job (I hope) that I need to do to get the car sorted after a knock into the curb. Already changed subframe, strut and hub!

Probably gonna have a go this weekend, but just wanted to check a few things. The renault sport guide suggests the following, but I wondered if I definitely need to do all of them?!:

1. Clamp and disconnect the PAS pipes from the top of the engine bay
2. Raise car, remove wheels and mudguards
3. Disconnect steering rods from hubs
4. Disconnect dog bone mount
5. Uncouple exhaust downpipe ***Is this really necessary?***
6. Uncouple gearshift rod ***Again, not sure as subframe will drop a bit with this connnected anyway***
7. Secure steering wheel and disconnect column UJ from rack
8. Unbolt subframe and drop about 120mm ***Is this definitely needed?***
9. Unbolt the rack and remove sideways

It's a 182 FF by the way. If it could be done without the whole subframe dropping manoeuvre it would be a lot easier!

The spare rack I have has all the pipes and even filling reservoir still attached, so I can pick and choose which bits come off and which bits stay on. I'd rather leave all the piping on the car if possible.

Any other tips from anyone that's done it?!

Cheers

if you've got a Haynes manual, it's identical to the procedure in there for the hydraulic rack

i didn't have to disturb the exhaust or subframe when i did mine, but it's a 172Cup - don't know if there's anything in the way on the more complicated cars. still a s**t job, though

Last edited:
  Clio 182
It wasn't that bad in the end. I did drop the subframe would have been almost impossible otherwise, but didn't do anything with the exhaust. I left all the pipework with the car, unscrewed the pipe joints on the rack itself. Took a good day, but was a bit better than I was expecting!

No more clunks when turning and the whine from the pump has gone with the new fluid which was an added bonus. Now for the tracking... Again!