ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing spark Plugs

S2000

I am going to be changing the spark plugs on my clio (Mk1 Ph2 1.4RT) sometime today or tommorow but I just had a couple of questions.

I was having a quick browse in the haynes manual and it says to clean out around the plugs before removing them so that nothing drops into the engine but when I went to have a look at the plugs I noticed that there is quite a lot of stuff in by the plugs but I have no way of getting to them. Is there any particualr way to remove the grease and crap around them or do I just have to remove the plugs and hope nothing drops in whilst doing it?

It also says to use some rubber tubing when first putting the new plugs in so that you do not cross thread the plug but is this necessary or is it easy enough avoid cross threading without any rubber tubing?

I know these are probably pretty basic questions but I dont want to f**k anything up whilst I am doing this.

Thanks.

Dave.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

get a can of c02 if your really worried blow the crap out... pc world sell it as computer air dusters... or a air compresser and blow gun will do it ...

Quote: Originally posted by donsrno1 on 19 August 2005

I was having a quick browse in the haynes manual and it says to clean out around the plugs before removing them so that nothing drops into the engine but when I went to have a look at the plugs I noticed that there is quite a lot of stuff in by the plugs but I have no way of getting to them. Is there any particualr way to remove the grease and crap around them or do I just have to remove the plugs and hope nothing drops in whilst doing it?
It also says to use some rubber tubing when first putting the new plugs in so that you do not cross thread the plug but is this necessary or is it easy enough avoid cross threading without any rubber tubing?
There no stupid questions if you dont know your daft not asking.

Ive never had trouble changing plus without using the turbing just be very gently (I use my finger tips and gently turn them to make sure). But its best use tubing if you have some.

Im not sure abotu your engine just try clean it all up as best you can though Ive never had trouble doing mine just think that keeping it all clean is the number one thing.

500bhp Scoob

when i had my 1.4 engine, there was quite a bit of crap in each spark plug recess, mainly lumps of old oil which had solidified.

Just take the plug out carefully. Unless its something like lots of metal swarf, i wouldnt really worry.

As for cross threading them, youll feel it try and cross thread, try and do them up using your fingers first just twisting the top.

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by Mole on 20 August 2005

when i had my 1.4 engine, there was quite a bit of crap in each spark plug recess, mainly lumps of old oil which had solidified.

Just take the plug out carefully. Unless its something like lots of metal swarf, i wouldnt really worry.

As for cross threading them, youll feel it try and cross thread, try and do them up using your fingers first just twisting the top.
Thats what it is in some of them though so I dont want any of it dropping in. The problem is that if I try and get it out some way I will probably loosen all the oil lumps which will cause another problem. Ill go out and have a proper gander at it tomorrow. As for the tubing then its OK if you are able to reach the top of the plug as I wasnt sure if that would be possible.