ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing Rear Brake Caliper

M2 Comp
Need to change one of my rear calipers tomorrow. Anybody able to give me a quick guide to removing them?

Thanks,
Tom

997.1, Caddy, e208
Pop the wheel off (on stands)
Handbrake off to slack in the cable
Remove pad carrier (2 * 17mm bolts) - can't recall if that's required or optional
'Knock' handbrake cable through caliper
Loosen brake pipe Union
Remove caliper (2*19mm bolts)
Fully remove brake line.

Pretty sure that's it. Be sure to bleed the brakes after.

Be careful that the brake line goes in straight, very easy to cross thread the caliper.

M2 Comp
Thanks for that.

When it comes to the handbrake cable, can they be a bit of a problem to remove?

Also, is it essential to bleed the brakes afterwards? Or could I get away with dropping it into a garage next week to have this done?

997.1, Caddy, e208
Oh, you'll want to unhook the handbrake cable first from the swing arm in the caliper.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
You'll need to bleed the brakes, new caliper will have air in it and once you take brake line off old one it'll start to leak, with the potential to allow air into brake line/s if apart for long enough

Clio 172
"'Knock' handbrake cable through caliper"
This isn't always that easy! Did mine last weekend and the caliper was so corroded that nipple holding the cable in the caliper was so pretty much welded to the caliper. I found trying to knock it out resulted in the nipple bending and starting to pinch the handbrake cable (not good). I resorted to hacksawing the nipple out of the old caliper (the point of no return). Other than that the job is pretty easy. Bleeding is definitely recommended though not that easy unless you have a kit or another person to help.

M2 Comp
Thanks all for your help. Swapped the caliper over this morning, following @Oggy172's instructions, and also did new discs and pads. Hopefully that's my DCI sorted for a while now, so I can concentrate on getting my Trophy finished... :smile:

M2 Comp
Yeah, went fairly smoothly, mate. The handbrake cable was a bit tough to get out, but got there in the end.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
My handbrake cable was a bit of a PITA to get out, its the most awkward bit about it tbh. I ended up using a centre punch to dislodge the end of the cable (tap it at the top, 12 o'clock. Move around the sides if needs be). Then use a pair of grips/pliers on the swing arm, twist it and the cable will pop out.
Soak everything in penetrating fluid the night before if you can, give everything a right good soaking.