ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing Front Brake discs/ pads on 172 Ph.1 - Tools?

'02 Clio 172 Ph.2
This is my first post outside of the newbie section, so please go easy on me! ;)

I have done a search, but couldn't find exactly what I am after.

Have a long drive from London to North Yorkshire on Thursday and my front pads are dangerously low and have scored one of the discs. So, I bought a pair of discs and a set of pads over the internet and they have been delivered today...

So, I just have Wednesday night to get them changed, or find a garage who can do a rush job... :eek:

Since my tools (my lovely Snap On stuff from when I worked at Lotus) were nicked a while ago :dapprove: I need to invest in some new stuff, so I was just wondering what size sockets/ allen keys I needed to do the front brakes, as I may well have to buy the tools at lunch tomorrow.

I assume it is a fairly simple job? Two bolts for each calipers and the jobs a goodun? I think i saw mention of 13mm sockets on another site...?

Many thanks in advance! :cool:

Dom

ITB'd MK1
13mm and 17mm spanners, T40 torx bit for the disc retaining bolts, 18mm socket to remove the caliper carrier. associated ratchets etc. Nothing special except the torx bit really

'02 Clio 172 Ph.2
Great stuff - Thanks guys!

Torx bit may be tricky at short notice I guess... Have a limited number of shops near my office!

Bus w**ker
Don't forget the essentials either...
utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTMtMjAwOTA3MDctMTQ0N.jpg

(And no I'm not kidding).

Don't forget the essentials either...

(And no I'm not kidding).

Lol what's the drill for? Is it for when it all goes wrong and you've got something handy laying around to take it out on the nearest person? :rasp:

Seriously though I take it that's for incase you round a bolt off?

Bus w**ker
Torx grub screws mate. The c**ts weld themselves in and just round off.

Under the car there were tonnes of broken tools from where I'd tried to "help" the screw out but after an hour or so trying I gave up. Grabbed the drill and a 10mm metal bit and went at it lol. Still had to attack them with the cold chisel and 9lb lump hammer afterwards too.

Same on the other side too. :(

Lol The joys of working on your own car eh?

I won't do anything on mine brake or driveshaft related because it'll only end up costing me more when I lose my temper with it.

Lots of Alfas
Youll also need a tub of copper grease, dont bother with any of that spray on stuff. Ive never had a problem with getting the torx bolt off myself but I have heard lots of horror stories on here.

Bus w**ker
Lol The joys of working on your own car eh?

I won't do anything on mine brake or driveshaft related because it'll only end up costing me more when I lose my temper with it.
Story of my life with the Ph1 lol. A lot of the time I just admit defeat and take it down to the garage (or for major jobs) but I'd already gone too far this time to give in... :clown:

03 RS clio 172 flameR
the best option is using the proper torx half inch socket, works much better, the better the quality the less the chance of rounding, also using a t-bar wih the socket bit then twatting it with a hammer to "crack" the nut, they do get pretty hot when nailing the brakes hence the troubles but a quick bash usually sorts you out if they not budging

'02 Clio 172 Ph.2
Hmmm... Sounds like I am going to have great fun tonight!

Will be popping down to Halfords for a 'Professional' tool set this afternoon, as they are meant to be pretty good quality and I guess I will go at it!

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow! Or whether I give up and take it to the garage! LOL!

ITB'd MK1
Never had an issue with the torx screw since using an inpact gun. Giveing the socket a whack into the screw helps of you only have hand tools though

'02 Clio 172 Ph.2
Well, Hoaxy, I hope you have plenty of Red Bull at home! LOL!

Oh my God - What a mission that turned out to be!

I bought a Halfords Professional 120 piece tool set at lunch as that was on offer for like £97 down from £175 and I would need the tools to replace the old ones anyway. That contained all the sockets, spanners and the T40 bit that i needed, so i was fairly pleased with myself. I also picked up a tub of copper slip (which may well last me forever)... So far so good!

Decided to head down to the car at 7pm to crack on while my missus got dinner ready. 1st mistake was to misplace the barrier entry card! I spent 30mins looking for that (before Lou came down and found it down the side of the seat) as i could not get through the barrier to get the car under the lights and out of the rain.

After about 20mins of looking i decided I needed to crack on, so started getting the wheels off. Lou found the swipe card, but i was already underway outside, so thought i would crack on before I lost daylight.

It must have taken me 30mins to get the wheels off! F*cking Quikfit changed the tyres for me a couple of weeks ago and must have re-torqued the bolts up to like a million lb/ft. To be fair, i only had the flimsy wheel brace in the tool kit, but my arms, kegs, feet, hands and shoulders are suffering today.

So, car is jacked up... One caliper, after some effort, comes off, torx screw comes out (very easily) and disc swapped over, after A LOT of pulling on the disc as they clearly hadn't copper slipped that before it was last replaced!!!

Go to the other side and repeat the process... so far so good!

So, I take the old pads out (worn down to the metal :( ) and go to put the brand new pads in... Hmmm... They don't it. They look the same (other than having sensor wires) but they don't go in the carrier...

Offering the pads up to the caliper and the old pads, i see that the metal locating 'tabs' are about a single mm too wide. Oh well, it's late, shops are closed and we have to drive the car to Yorkshire tomorrow (now today) so I guess i will fiel them down. Call Lou in the flat and ask her to bring my file down... No file to be found!

Thankfully i have some wet and dry! 4 sheets of that and about an hour later i have sanded down all 4 brake pads and they all fit the carriers. After much levering and effort I get the caliper back on the car and that is one side done!

So, it is now getting dark (I have no torch) and can't really get the car inside as it is in bits. I go to the other side and one pad goes in fine... The other one, literally, never goes back in. It looks like the pad retaining spring is getting caught on a casting mould slip line in the caliper... To cut a long story short, it is pitch black and 11pm, I am sitting in a puddle and my dinenr has been ready since 7:30pm.

If i put an old (but the one with most meat on it) pad back in, then it doesn't need to be pushed back as far into the caliper as the new one (as it is thinner) an dthe old retaining spring doesn't interfere with the casting mark. So, the old one goes back in and i bolt it all up together.

At 11:30pm, i go for a test drive round the car park and (other than the car not idling, now cured since we gave it a 50mile test drive to work this morning) everything would appear to be fine. It stops ok, makes no awful grinding noises and the warning lights on the dash are now off - hurrah!

So, all is well that ends well. I will strip the side with the old pad in when we get back from Yorkshire in the dry and in the daylight and I doubt that will take much to fix - I literally had to pull it all apart and reassemble it 'by feel' in the dark, i am sure it will be fine when i can see it and work out how to sort it, after all, the other pads must have gone in new.

I feel a great sense of satisfaction from doing this myself and now it is all copper slipped up, it will be SO much easier next time. However, what a mission! I am not sure I would have bothered doing it (would have just taken it to a garage) had I known how that was going to turn out!

If I had air tools, a lift, somwhere dry, with plenty of light, it is probably an hour job... On my garage floor it is probably a 2hr job. Out in teh wet and dark, on your own... a full 4hrs+ Ouch! :(

Still, at least it is running and stopping and ready for its long journey tonight!!

Thanks for all the help chaps!

Dom

A well built VW
Yeah i bought some non reno pads and they needed the persuader to be used (hammer lol )

Next time will be easier lol

'02 Clio 172 Ph.2
I was concerned that the hammer approach might 'wedge' them in and render them useless, hence the sanding... But i appear to have also sanded my arm, meaning leaning on my desk, working at the computer all day is rather painful!

It was a nightmare, but i am pleased it got done and the warning lights were winding me up, so I am glad they have now gone... Just a few little niggles to sort out, but JMS are taking the car next week for a service, so they will have a look.

Lots of Alfas
They dont have pad wear sensors, it could have been the brake fluid getting low as the pads were low. Id still check the fluid level now they're changed though.

172 cup
So, I take the old pads out (worn down to the metal :( ) and go to put the brand new pads in... Hmmm... They don't it. They look the same (other than having sensor wires) but they don't go in the carrier..

thats where i got it from

Matty

'02 Clio 172 Ph.2
Yeah, pads were down to the metal, well, two at least (hence using the one with the most meat on to replace the new one that didn't fit) so I expect that the brake fluid level was well down compared to now. I checked it after replacing the pads and all seems fine. The fact that the warning lights came and went suggests it was 'just below' normal.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
i brought the ktec uprated disk and pads kit, and tbh, i have a good set of tools, but it was the nicest car work on. im used to my 106's and saxos etc, which to be frank, are old and s**t to work on. but with it being the newest car i have owned, rust was down to a minimum, and all the nuts and bolts were lush, needed muscle, but no rounding, just smoooooth.. but i know what you mean, i have worked on cars in the dark and rain, slightly under tooled, and you lie there under the car covered in s**t, thinking... "so this is what its like to work for skoda!"

'02 Clio 172 Ph.2
If I had started on say a Saturday morning, in nice weather, I wouldn't have complained nearly as much! I would have had the light and I would have been dry - LOL! It was just that I promised my missus I would have it running for our trip up to Yorkshire this weekend, so it had to be done! Next time, now everything is copper slipped, it will be much easier.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
my mrs is a right ear ache when im doing stuff to the car! everything has to take 10 mins or its moan time

'02 Clio 172 Ph.2
Bless her, she was very understanding and actually brought me a beer and a piece of toast out! LOL! But, by 11pm she was somewhat stressed and, to be fair to her, she was the one who told me to put an old pad in for now and get in the flat - LOL! It is off to JMS on Saturday now, so they can sort the final pad out and take a look at any of teh other issues, so hopefully I will be avoiding DIY for a while.

I have enough projects on the go:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...uild/ rebuild on my 996 Carrera 3.4&mid=73213

'02 Clio 172 Ph.2
Just a quick note to say that I took the car over to the board sponsors, JMS, new premises on Saturday and James & Tom worked their magic.

With the help of some rather large G clamps, daylight and a dry garage, James was able to get the one 'dodgy' new pad in in no time!

They are both good guys, so highly recommended if anyone in the area (South East) needs some work doing!

The car is now running sweetly and I am so pleased with it! I may have to go and try a '200' in the new year if this Renault love affair continues!