ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing brakes - 3/4 successful

LY R26, LY 182
Well, this afternoon was a little bored so decided to try and change the brakes on the 182. I have never done brakes before, literally nothing... so was a little aprehensive.
I have all the tools so felt pretty confident, and would say I was pretty handy in general, so after reading the forum guides and articles to get an understanding, I went for it!!

Started with the rears, they were actually a doddle. Cleaned everything up and painted the calipers whilst I was doing it.
Moved onto the fronts, a bit harder but it all makes sense when you start taking it apart. Only managed to get one side on the front done before it started chucking it down, so I've packed up for the evening. Will finish the last one tomorrow.

One thing I couldn't find was the torque setting for the front caliper (the big bolts that remove the entire caliper from the hub) - anyone know these?

Tomorrow I may change the brake fluid now I am feeling confident after doing the pads and discs :) Need to read up on how easy this is, before I embark on it...

If you are considering whether you can do your brakes, but are worried, don't be - they are pretty easy! If you can do basic mechanics and are handy with tools, have a pop and save some bunse!!!

Clio 197
good job, i was also out in the rain storm today changing a headlight levelling motor on an alfa 147

172 cup, Impreza P1
Well, this afternoon was a little bored so decided to try and change the brakes on the 182. I have never done brakes before, literally nothing... so was a little aprehensive.
I have all the tools so felt pretty confident, and would say I was pretty handy in general, so after reading the forum guides and articles to get an understanding, I went for it!!

Started with the rears, they were actually a doddle. Cleaned everything up and painted the calipers whilst I was doing it.
Moved onto the fronts, a bit harder but it all makes sense when you start taking it apart. Only managed to get one side on the front done before it started chucking it down, so I've packed up for the evening. Will finish the last one tomorrow.

One thing I couldn't find was the torque setting for the front caliper (the big bolts that remove the entire caliper from the hub) - anyone know these?

Tomorrow I may change the brake fluid now I am feeling confident after doing the pads and discs :) Need to read up on how easy this is, before I embark on it...

If you are considering whether you can do your brakes, but are worried, don't be - they are pretty easy! If you can do basic mechanics and are handy with tools, have a pop and save some bunse!!!

Carrier to hub bolts are 70nm and the caliper to carrier is 40nm.

As you say, all makes sense ones you start. Just make sure you put everything back on including all clips on the rears as the pads can fall out if it's done wrong.

I use a bit of thread lock on the bolts too just to make sure they don't work loose.

LY R26, LY 182
Thanks Cupman...

I finished the last disc yesterday, then changed the fluid to 5.1 as well - the braking performance flew up instantly, before the pads and discs have been bedded in, the difference was immediately noticeable. I think my old fluid was well past its best before date!
Used the Ezbleed kit I got from Screwfix - and it was really easy and made the process much easier for one person to do.

Brakes feel miles better although they need to bed-in - am very impressed with how easy it was really, but moreso the amount of money I saved over taking it to a garage :)!

What did The Boosh! do wrong? tried to search but can't find it...