ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing alternator

clio sport 182
Just a quick question when am changing my alternator do I need to remove the full bumper or is it possible to just remove the black grill.
​ any help is appreciated

Plodwyn

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
Just done this myself 4 weeks ago and no need to remove the bumper plenty of room with only removing the black grill, removing the bumper wont improve the access and saves a lot of time also use jubilee clip much easier, I bought a snap on serpentine rachet tool no use at all

S4 Avant
A jubilee clip is the most pikey thing going and makes the job unnecessarily difficult. You need a 3/8th square bit to fit into the slot on the tensioner, so it can be levered up when you've got the spring bolted at both ends.

monaco 172
I thought the jubilee clip made it easier when I did mine, meant I had both hands free to put the belt on.

S4 Avant
Honestly, and this isn't meant to sound rude or condescending, but if you're struggling to take the grill off, changing the alternator is not for you. Best get it booked into a garage.

Just bash it backwards with your fist, work from each end inwards, then there's 2 clips above the renault badge you just use your fingers to prise off.

clio 182 cup
taking my bumper of tonight and new alternator should be here tomorrow ready to fit but dont have a tool for compressing the tensioner