ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Centre Speakers of sub

MY10 R35 GTR
Trying to sort out the sound system for my tv/ps3. Sadly due to the use of the room and also shape of the room running a full surround sound system with satalite pseakers is a no go so trying to get the best setup I can with the speakers being in a central position.

Current setup is an Onyko 508 reciever/amp with Kef IQ50 floorstanding speakers. Which are stood either side of the TV.

So my question is to help enhance the sound experience is it a sub I need to add or a centre speaker/bar??

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Doubt you need a sub with those KEF's although a good one wouldn't hurt. I'd be looking at a decent center speaker and if you put your mind to it a pair of decent but small/discrete surrounds mounted on to the walls.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
What's the problem exactly ?

I've got an almost identical set up to yours .. my lounge/diner is fairly large .. one pair of (richersounds calls them IQ5SE's) will comfortably make the house rattle. 1940s (at a guess) built bungalow... Bass is spectacular and actually seems OTT in films sometimes.

I'm imagining your room is thin if they have to be so close to the TV ? Adding a centre bar is only going to make it worse I think !? Are you lacking bottom end ? If so, a sub is possibly needed, but honestly I can't see the point as the speakers are epic ! Have you bi-wired the speakers ?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
What's the problem exactly ?

I've got an almost identical set up to yours .. my lounge/diner is fairly large .. one pair of (richersounds calls them IQ5SE's) will comfortably make the house rattle. 1940s (at a guess) built bungalow... Bass is spectacular and actually seems OTT in films sometimes.

I'm imagining your room is thin if they have to be so close to the TV ? Adding a centre bar is only going to make it worse I think !? Are you lacking bottom end ? If so, a sub is possibly needed, but honestly I can't see the point as the speakers are epic ! Have you bi-wired the speakers ?

Getting the speakers angles right can make a big difference over just having them set to 90' to the TV if thats how you have yours?

MY10 R35 GTR
livingroomcurrent-2.gif

Rought layout of the room.

Red = Kef Speakers
Brown= TV sand
Black = Couches
Geen = Only possible place for satalite speakers?
Pink - Not the place for satalite speakers?

The room is my main living room bur also will have dining table etc. THe angles bit int the bottom of the picture is glass. Hard to describe. But my main plan is to try and get a nice solid quality sound from within the confinds of where the couches are.

I have a sonos system liinked up of which one part has an built in amp. Just with standard stearo speakers wired in the sound in heneral has alot more presence, But with the big amp and KEFs it just feels like its lacking. Fiddles around with the settings on the amp which has improved it. But still feel there something lacking

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Move them as far away sideways from the TV as possible !

I found I had to do quite a bit of setting up / fiddling with settings to get them right ! Did you get the microphone thing with the amp ?

Shouldn't really need a sub with floor standers.

Just got some old bookshelfs hooked up in my room (Monitor 3s) and a Pioneer AV amp (VSX-D812) and the bass is more than enough. Can hear left and right sounding foot steps not a problem, it does the job fine. I thought about wiring up my Mission satellite speakers, but it's just not needed really.

MY10 R35 GTR
I'll wait and see what happens next week. the accoustics of the room will cahnge when the wood floor goes dowm