ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Central knocking sound (constant over tiniest bumps, very annoying.)

Mk5 Golf GTi
Hi all,
As the thread title reads, I have a knocking sound which sounds like it's coming from the centre of the car. I've had a look underneath and given the exhaust mounts and dogbone mount a good jiggle and they still seem pretty solid. (Centre exhaust mount does have slight cracking - see pics - but it still holds up pretty well)

IMAG0956.jpg

IMAG0955.jpg

I did however find what looked like a significant part of the underside of the car which moved a fair amount when I grabbed it and sounded very similar to the knocking I hear when driving.

IMAG0957.jpg

It's the main black part running parallel to the dogbone mount.

It might be a noob question but the part that seems to move a lot; is it supposed to move so much to cause knocking? Or might it be something not directly visible without removing a few parts?

Thanks for any help in advance.

mk1 Octavia VRS
When did the noise start? When does the knocking happen? Is it worse when accelerating, braking, cornering, over bumps?

Black rod looks like gear linkage so it's supposed to move but shouldn't be causing the knocking unless something else is too close to it that shouldn't be.

Mk5 Golf GTi
When did the noise start? When does the knocking happen? Is it worse when accelerating, braking, cornering, over bumps?

Black rod looks like gear linkage so it's supposed to move but shouldn't be causing the knocking unless something else is too close to it that shouldn't be.
Had the noise for about 3 weeks or so now. I think the noise started out a while before also but as a knocking when letting off the throttle at higher revs or when braking at 20-40 mph. The knocking is fairly consistent when driving at all speeds, just driving up my street when first running starts it.

I should also say that this noise could also be described as a rattle - driving through small streets with the windows down I can hear a metallic "twing" to the thud below my handbrake. Gear changes feel fine also so not entirely sure if it's to do with gearbox.

Mk5 Golf GTi
**Correction**: Had another drive and the sound comes more from rear driver side. Doesn't knock on a smoother road - will have another inspection in that area soon though.

Arctic 182
Metallic 'twing' - might be the heat shield knocking on the exhaust? Mine had come loose and used to sound like that when driving with the windows open until I re-secured it.

Mk5 Golf GTi
Had another quick poke around the bottom...

Looks like it might be heat shield after all - found a more loose section right in the place I'm hearing it from so will get it sorted asap.

Cheers for the help all!